Hurley Building Redevelopment | 19 Staniford St | West End

This is essentially my position, too. If it becomes more pedestrian accessible, particularly for passing through, rather than having to walk around the block, then it's a vast improvement, regardless of the tower architecture.

The super block is a big problem, but we aren't likely going to be rid of it. The next best thing after your suggestion is a porous and attractive pedestrian experience, which I think these designs include. If so, that's a win.
Agreed; these conceptual designs ostensibly provide pedestrian cut-throughs and get rid off all the surface level cars and chain link-fenced off area. I am 100% with everyone who wants this whole block blasted into smaller chunks, but in the mean time the new block porosity and elimination of surface parking zones would make a huge difference vs. what's there today.

Important for any redevelopment here: Bowdoin station is planned to be demolished if/when the Red-Blue connector ever gets built. That's right across the street, so this proposed tower would be losing its immediately adjacent T station. At least one plan looked like they'd make it easy to put back in a blue infill station at Bowdoin or Staniford, but other plans would make that much, much harder.

I already think it's a bad idea to leave such a big gap in stations between Government Center and MGH. It would be even worse if there are plans for big new towers right there.

will be filled with entitled white people
Impressive mental gymnastics you did there to make these renders about race. Not everything is about race despite your best efforts to make it that way.

Impressive mental gymnastics you did there to make these renders about race. Not everything is about race despite your best efforts to make it that way.
When I say "white people" in this way, I say it as many people in my and younger generations do, as a cultural label, which is to say, "annoying, entitled yuppy culture". Which, while perhaps bound to elicit some triggered responses on a forum like this and therefore ill-advised, is also pretty accurate when it comes to Boston, more than most northeastern cities. No, not everything is about race, as I posted yesterday in another thread, and sorry to speak idiosyncratically when people are so aggrieved out there, but the very fact that out of every point I made, you felt the need to be triggered by and respond to this one clause, well…

And if you think the intersection of mental illness and race will not shape how the white majority constituents that will, inevitably, populate this building, interact with the people in the Lindemann, an oversize proportion of whom are black, then think again. There's a reason black patients get overdiagnosed with schizophrenia instead of bipolar disorder, and a reason people call the cops on black people more, and a reason I am expressing concern for the people that actually have a claim to this space because they live here, and will assuredly be the target of increased policing once well-heeled people move into whatever gets built here. But, I’m ultimately more concerned about the cultural clashes here than racial ones—that will be where the issues are. So either way this is an issue of relevance here.

Last edited:
Important for any redevelopment here: Bowdoin station is planned to be demolished if/when the Red-Blue connector ever gets built. That's right across the street, so this proposed tower would be losing its immediately adjacent T station. At least one plan looked like they'd make it easy to put back in a blue infill station at Bowdoin or Staniford, but other plans would make that much, much harder.

I already think it's a bad idea to leave such a big gap in stations between Government Center and MGH. It would be even worse if there are plans for big new towers right there.
Even without Bowdoin, you're a quarter-mile from Charles MGH (the new far-end headhouse), North Station, and Haymarket depending on exactly how you draw the route.

I assume that both the DMH and court house programs have security requirements that will perpetuate the standoffish relationship to the rest of the city.

Even without Bowdoin, you're a quarter-mile from Charles MGH (the new far-end headhouse), North Station, and Haymarket depending on exactly how you draw the route.
Haymarket will “feel” even closer, too, once all the construction is done—the apparent distance tends to diverge from reality the more urbanism encloses a path to a given destination.
I assume that both the DMH and court house programs have security requirements that will perpetuate the standoffish relationship to the rest of the city.
Good luck getting the DMH police to do anything…

Yeah, and I think that stop spacing is too far for a downtown segment of a subway. The Orange Line, for example, works well with ~1/4 miles stop spacing between North Station and Tufts. If Bowdoin is removed on the Blue Line, the gap between Government Center and MGH will be more than double that distance. The area around Bowdoin/Staniford is already really dense with jobs and residences. That density increases if parts of Hurley get redeveloped. It's also really dense with other important resources that lots of people need to sporadically get to, like government services (at Hurley) or medical services (at the east end of the giant MGH campus). And the shorter stop spacing is important on the train in our downtown where we don't (and maybe can't) run busses to catch shorter trips or help people the last few blocks.

That's probably too much of a rant, already. I'm happy to discuss the future of Bowdoin station over on the Red-Blue Connector thread. I mostly just wanted to point out that this proposed tower would have a rapid transit station literally across the street. That could be a hugely attractive feature. But there are plans to demolish that station, and then transit access would be a bit further away.

These renderings were prepared for the development team of Quaker Lane Capital, and the Davis Companies, in response to the RFP issued by the Commonwealth.

Not to rain on the parade of comments, Leggat McCall Properties was selected by the Commonwealth in August 2022 to re-develop the Hurley building. The Boston office of NBBJ (HQ in Seattle) is the lead architect. Beyer Blinder Belle (NYC) is lead for renovations to the existing Hurley building. Mikyoung Kim Design (Boston) is the landscape architect.

...Not to rain on the parade of comments...

I think your point more embodies the sunshine of a second chance for most forumers, as opposed to rainstorm.

I will point out, though, that two features of the above debate stem from characteristics of the constraint space itself, rather than developer: 1) the obligation to renovate the outdoor spaces encircling the Lindemann, and 2) preservation (requirements?) to leave at least some semblance of the Hurley intact...these are therefore likely to be characteristics of Leggat-McCall's design as well.

Lastly I will point out that Leggat McCall is the same developer who is redeveloping the following:
Overall projects list (this one's not posted yet):

So they have experience dealing with decommissioned state properties (for better or worse).

For reference:

nbbj-is-transforming-bostons-iconic-hurley-building-into-a-mixed-use-development_1.jpg

nbbj-is-transforming-bostons-iconic-hurley-building-into-a-mixed-use-development_2.jpg

nbbj-is-transforming-bostons-iconic-hurley-building-into-a-mixed-use-development_3.jpg

shorter and stubbier than the earlier proposal -- welcome to boston!

Now I'm confused. Which one of the renders is the current iteration. I thought the two renderings above were the original proposal, and now we have a much slender tower proposal. Is that not the case?

Now I'm confused. Which one of the renders is the current iteration. I thought the two renderings above were the original proposal, and now we have a much slender tower proposal. Is that not the case?

I found the taller proposal on a website that was posted within the past month. Nothing official, but I always filter for the newest pictures and was led to the page with all those renders.

I found the taller proposal on a website that was posted within the past month. Nothing official, but I always filter for the newest pictures and was led to the page with all those renders.
The website you found them on notes their client was Quaker Lane Capital, which was one of the respondents to the original RFP that went out. As noted above, Quaker Lane was not the winning proposal. Leggat McCall was, which has the shorter larger buildings by NBBJ proposed.

It's likely Stoss is just updating their portfolio of work/website with new photos.

shorter and stubbier than the earlier proposal -- welcome to boston!
Neither of these was earlier or later than the other; they are both from the RFP/pre-award stage. It is highly unlikely that Leggat builds that stubby lab here, given market conditions. I would love to see this get re-proposed as more residential. In fact, I don't think we've seen any design revisions from them since the RFP stage, so here's to hoping whatever comes next is better.

Neither of these was earlier or later than the other; they are both from the RFP/pre-award stage. It is highly unlikely that Leggat builds that stubby lab here, given market conditions. I would love to see this get re-proposed as more residential. In fact, I don't think we've seen any design revisions from them since the RFP stage, so here's to hoping whatever comes next is better.
Also, bear in mind that the entire idea of selling and redeveloping the SSC was a late-stage Baker Administration project. The Healey Administration may just kill it, the same as the Baker Administration killed the Transportation Building sale and MassDOT relocation that Deval Patrick floated in his last months in office.

This is kind of a tradition.

Back