Hyde Park Infill and Small Developments

“River Street in Hyde Park could get 48-unit condo building”

“Two developers are looking to buy the most of the block where Dempsey's bar used to be on River Street in Hyde Park and turn it into a four-story building with 48 condos and a corner store, possibly a coffeehouse.”

riverstreetbuilding.jpg

Link

4 stories of apartments diagonally across from Fairmount Station.

Heres a render and article from universalhub

fairmountbuildings.jpg

“Hyde Park suddenly awash in development proposals: Builder wants to replace two-family homes it built 15 years ago with an apartment building”

“A Hyde Park home builder is looking to replace four two-family homes it put up in 2004 and rented out on Fairmount Avenue with a four-story, 47-unit apartment building.”

Link

Last edited:
Ridiculous!

Board rejects plan to replace old Hyde Park funeral home with apartments
34oakst.jpg

A developer's proposal to replace the old Laughlin Nichols Pennacchio Funeral Home at 34 Oak St. in Hyde Park with a three-story, 20-unit apartment building was defeated today when only got four votes from the Zoning Board of Appeal - state law requires at least five votes.

The board's 4-3 vote means developer Diarmaid McGregor of Milton has to wait a year before proposing anything for the roughly 9,750-square-foot site, a block away from River Street.

The Hyde Park Neighborhood Association and nearby residents opposed the proposal, saying it was out of character with the rest of the neighborhood, that it would cause noise and trash issues and traffic problems on routes taken by buses and students to nearby schools.

https://www.universalhub.com/2022/board-rejects-plan-replace-old-hyde-park-funeral

NEI General Contracting Converting Former School into New England’s First LGBTQ-Friendly Senior Affordable Housing Complex
The-Pryde-Rendering-by-DiMella-Shaffer.jpg

BOSTON – NEI General Contracting announced that it is converting the former William Barton Rogers School at 15 Everett Street in Boston’s Hyde Park neighborhood into The Pryde, New England’s first LGBTQ-friendly senior affordable housing complex.

The project is a joint development by Pennrose and LGBTQ Senior Housing Inc. A ground breaking ceremony was held on June 17, 2022 and the project is expected to be completed in the fall of 2023. NEI has been retained to convert the historic school into 74 units of housing, featuring a mix of studio, 1-bedroom, and 2-bedroom units.

https://bostonrealestatetimes.com/n...q-friendly-senior-affordable-housing-complex/

Approved

1201 River st
f62b1a39-a51a-421f-aada-333e1ef3dda2

Located in Hyde Park, this project will build 63 one-bedroom units of income-restricted senior housing for those ages 55 and up. This project will advance Imagine Boston 2030’s goal of creating an additional 2,000 units of dedicated senior housing. Built under the Mayor’s Office of Housing’s Zero Emission Building requirements, this is a non carbon-producing, all electric building. In addition to residences, this building will also include a gym, commercial space, community room, library, and laundry center on the ground floor. There will also be parking available for bikes and cars. This project will create new green space, and will include an outdoor courtyard, complete with a bocce court, and a grilling and seating area, as well as enhanced landscaping.

34 Oak Street brings new housing to Hyde Park
6d3a8633-d1e4-4154-8f91-2926e0a5190e

This project will build a new apartment building with 20 rental units, four of which will be income-restricted on Oak Street in Hyde Park. This will be a transit-oriented development and will encourage biking and walking over driving as it is in close proximity to the MBTA and bus lines in Hyde Park.
https://bostonrealestatetimes.com/bpda-approves-nine-new-development-projects/

Last edited:
Residences at Fairmont Station

Residences at Fairmont Station:

Southwest Boston Community Development Corp. has proposed a 3 story, 27 unit building on Nott St alongside Fairmont Station

http://www.bulletinnewspapers.com/

I think these were eventually built--walked by them today (3.18.23). Hadn't seen any other updates in this thread on this project.

Fairmount Station 1.JPG
Fairmount Station 2.JPG

Doctor proposes expanding his practice into a building with 40 apartments on the Hyde Park/Mattapan line

By adamg on Fri, 03/17/2023 - 10:15am
Rendering of proposed new building on River Street

Dr. Jean Bonnet has filed plans with the BPDA to replace his current Hyde Park Health Associates at 745 River St. and a neighboring repair garage with a five-story building with his enlarged and updated medical practice on the first floor and 40 apartments above it.

Bonnet has owned 745 River St. for more than 20 years. He bought 735 River St., currently home to "overgrown, trash filled automobile repair service garage," to help make room for the new building, according to his filing with the BPDA. Registry of Deeds records show he paid $900,000 for the garage lot last May.

Under the proposal, 25 of the units would have two or three bedrooms. Seven of the units would be rented as affordable; roughly two more than would be required under the city's affordable-housing requirements.

The proposal, which anticipates construction time of 18 months, calls for 26 parking spaces.

Doctor proposes expanding his practice into a building with 40 apartments on the Hyde Park/Mattapan line

By adamg on Fri, 03/17/2023 - 10:15am
Rendering of proposed new building on River Street

Dr. Jean Bonnet has filed plans with the BPDA to replace his current Hyde Park Health Associates at 745 River St. and a neighboring repair garage with a five-story building with his enlarged and updated medical practice on the first floor and 40 apartments above it.

Bonnet has owned 745 River St. for more than 20 years. He bought 735 River St., currently home to "overgrown, trash filled automobile repair service garage," to help make room for the new building, according to his filing with the BPDA. Registry of Deeds records show he paid $900,000 for the garage lot last May.

Under the proposal, 25 of the units would have two or three bedrooms. Seven of the units would be rented as affordable; roughly two more than would be required under the city's affordable-housing requirements.

The proposal, which anticipates construction time of 18 months, calls for 26 parking spaces.

Build it!!!!! What a huge urban improvement. For perspective, here is the current Google streetview:

That's kind of cool to see an owner-operator development like this. We don't get it very often in Boston these days, but that's how a not-insignificant chunk of development used to be done 100 years ago.

That's kind of cool to see an owner-operator development like this. We don't get it very often in Boston these days, but that's how a not-insignificant chunk of development used to be done 100 years ago.
I think we see it more in some of the outer neighborhoods, where those owner-operator multi-floor buildings were shortened during the Great Depression. Off the top of my head, I can think of several that have been built or in approval process in Roslindale, for example, where the owner of the first floor shop (or that shop's long term landlord) is the developer.

I think we see it more in some of the outer neighborhoods, where those owner-operator multi-floor buildings were shortened during the Great Depression. Off the top of my head, I can think of several that have been built or in approval process in Roslindale, for example, where the owner of the first floor shop (or that shop's long term landlord) is the developer.

Yup, there has been a push to restore the original buildings and housing back on top along the square - although I had always thought the tops got chopped during the 60s/70s as the city depopulated?

Yup, there has been a push to restore the original buildings and housing back on top along the square - although I had always thought the tops got chopped during the 60s/70s as the city depopulated?
I think the big period of top chopping was the 1930's to cut taxes on the building. At least in Boston Proper that was the case.

I think the big period of top chopping was the 1930's to cut taxes on the building. At least in Boston Proper that was the case.
I think that's generally what happened in Boston. But @bakgwailo makes a valid point specific to Roslindale, which is that some of the commercial buildings retained their upper floors in to the 60s, then lost them due to fire (often suspected arson). I was thinking about the more general concept, though, of buildings that were shortened now reverting to taller forms.

Back