Hynes renovation

New Lyons Group restaurant opening soon:

From the front, on Boylston:

towne1.jpg

Facing the plaza:

towne2.jpg

And finally, how many tourists will mistake this for a Green Line station entrance? I believe that this structure is for outdoor dining, although maybe it has another purpose. Those windows above it are also part of the new restaurant (multiple bars, I believe?) and the hanging-pointed interior lighting, which I think is a great effect and which shows well through the windows, really brings life to that otherwise very cold facade.

towne3.jpg

Soft opening reviews have been positive.

I like the "towne" logo. Put some tables in the dining gazebo or whatever and no one will confuse it with a T entrance.

Which begs the question: why can't our T entrances look this good?

I actually think the new Copley Headhouses on the Charles River side of Boylston look nice. If only they'd open . . .

The new head-houses are clean and safe, nothing special.

Alas, the Liebeskind-lite headhouses at South Station are probably the most interesting Boston has seen and will see for awhile.

Hopefully it hasn't been sold for scrap and melted down like sections of the Longfellow Bridge.

Well hopefully it will look like that but restored.

Thanks (good to hear!). And do you know if the renovations underground are going to permit passengers to move from outbound to inbound tracks without having to get up to the street level?

I doubt it - that would require creating a new pedestrian tunnel one level below the platforms.

I doubt it - that would require creating a new pedestrian tunnel one level below the platforms.

Shame... Copley seems like too central a location to have this kind of odd, work-around solution (of course, I'm sure there are sound engineering reasons for why it can't be done).

It looks like some construction has occurred at that end, but no tenant has moved in there.

Shame... Copley seems like too central a location to have this kind of odd, work-around solution (of course, I'm sure there are sound engineering reasons for why it can't be done).

I wonder if the water table issues were a factor? Then again, cost alone probably kept the T from pursuing such a tunnel.

Copley was originally designed to have a Boylston Street style underpass for the Huntington Avenue tunnel and a pedestrian stairway between platforms. The offset platforms were going to work something similar to Boylston Street. Unfortunately the Depression and the sensitive foundation of New Old South Church put a serious dent into those plans.

Building a new station under Copley Square is also unfeasible. Not because of the proximity to Trinity Church, but due to the massive utilities which still run under the old alignment of Huntington Avenue under the square. The depth of utilities are why an Arlington style mezzanine wasn't possible.

Back