Hynes renovation

The Greenway could use a few of those in varying styles (from Victorian to Modern) to provide seating and shade for food vendors.

Is this permanent? One of the doors (with the construction horse half in front of it) opens into a curb...

It's on wooden supports - they may be assembling it here and then moving it elsewhere on the plaza...

As I wrote in my comment on the Boston.com board: Thank you to ex-State Senator Dianne Wilkerson who championed the cause of building-out the front of the Hynes Auditorium, making this a reality.

Now if we can only get Capital Grille to agree to stop blocking lanes of traffic with its valets we'll be all set.

Capital Grille moving to Hynes Convention Center

The Capital Grille restaurant will move from its current Newbury Street location to much larger space at the nearby John B. Hynes Veterans Memorial Convention Center in 2011, the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority announced today.

The Capital Grille's new location will be at the corner of Dalton and Boylston streets and will "bookend" the Hynes with two restaurants, said the authority said, which operates the Hynes. The other restaurant is Towne Stove and Spirits on the Prudential Plaza, which was opened earlier this year by local restaurateurs Lydia Shire, Jasper White, and Patrick Lyons, the authority said.

The Capital Grille will occupy about 10,300 square feet at its new location, compared with about 5,500 square feet at its current site. Plans call for the Capital Grille to continue to do business at its present location on Newbury Street until the new location is ready to open, something expected to happen by summer 2011, the authority said. At the new location, the Capital Grille will be open for lunch, something the restaurant is unable to do in its present location, said the authority, which added that the Capital Grille was unable to renew its lease at its current location.

The rendering of the Capital Grille at its new location was provided by the authority.

At least the hookers who work the bar will have more room to spread out a bit.

Ooops. I didn't mean to do it that way. However, now that I think about it some people are going to get the best time they can pay for at the Hynes since General Public played there in late 1984 or early 1985.

That's an optomistic rendering, given that the corner of Boylston and Dalton has been barricaded since.....2002?

4853714239_e850fcea1d_b.jpg

Looks like somebody forgot to send a memo to the guys building headhouses for Silver Line Phase III.

The Capital Grille, a high-end steakhouse that's been on Newbury Street for the past 20 years, plans to move to the Hynes Convention Center in August.

"...For obviously some great busineses reasons," attorney Karen D. Sim?o told local leaders during a Neighborhood Association of Back Bay licencing board meeting on Monday.

Capital Grille managing partner Christopher Scott said the decision to move came after the company came to the end of its 20-year lease.

"We went through the renegotiation process, and it didn't work for us," he said. "And that's when we fell in love with this place."

The restaurant will double it's size, and go into about 10,00 square feet in the western end of the Hynes Convention Center, across the street from the Back Bay firehouse. Towne Stove and Spirits in on the other side of the convention center, by the Prudential Plaza.

There will be seating for 304 inside, and a 32-seat outdoor patio with a high glass partial enclosure.

Capital Grille plans to open in mid-August, with hopefully no more than a two-week lag time after the 359 Newbury St. location closes.

"We're trying," Sim?o said, "to make it relatively seemless."

http://backbay.patch.com/articles/capital-grille-moving-to-the-hynes-in-august

As I wrote in my comment on the Boston.com board: Thank you to ex-State Senator Dianne Wilkerson who championed the cause of building-out the front of the Hynes Auditorium, making this a reality.

Now if we can only get Capital Grille to agree to stop blocking lanes of traffic with its valets we'll be all set.

Capital Grille moving to Hynes Convention Center

I'm not sure what you mean by getting the "Capital Grille to agree to stop blocking lanes of traffic with its valets."

They have not moved into the Hynes yet. How are they be stopping lanes of traffic if they haven't moved from the Mass Ave/Newbury building yet?

Are their valets receiving guests at Dalton/Boylston and making them walk? Are they parking their cars on Dalton/Boylston?

Towne bought out meters at a rate set by the City of Boston, for the life of their lease, in front of 900 Boylston; the permitting suggests that Capital will do the same at 944 Boylston or whatever their address will be.

EDIT: tweaked to come off less bitchy. I also may be wrong about Towne's meters, that may actually be an annual renewal at the city's discretion.

Last edited:
The Capital Grille on Newbury is what I speak of. I was saying I fear they will block lanes of traffic on Boylston as they have been doing on Newbury. Newbury Street can be two lanes but one lane is always blocked off by asshole valets who let cars idle in the lane.

For some reason, they are painting this black today. I have no idea why. Also, a month or so ago they moved it back further from the street. I still don't know what the intended use is for this structure - it seems too small and too removed from the Towne restaurant itself to be viable for outdoor seating, IMO.

Perhaps it's going to be a designated smoking section for the restaurant? Being outdoors and set back from the main walkway might allow it to avoid the current smoking ban.

A very different Hynes than what we "grew to love" -- just hope that the Green Line entrane close to the gets renovated and re-opened

Definitely looking forward to seeing what the Christian Science Church complex will become when it is infilled an redeveloped

Of course in the long run --the garage, Turnpike to Mass Ave air-rights and the 1/2 story hotel will be the future of Pru area expansion

I can't help but feel like this is a garbage location for such a nice restaurant. They better do a damn good job with the interior, because otherwise, it will seem like another generic business-oriented steak house. I'd assume they want to maintain the old-world, intensely sophisticated feel of some of their other locations.

What I'm trying to say is, there better not be any exposed drywall. The entire place should be marble and wood paneling.

Back