I-90 Interchange Improvement Project & West Station | Allston

Thanks for posting this.

I was snooping around google and came across an older slide show from 2018 that has some more detailed renders of west station from angles I havent seen before. Helps visualize it a bit better.

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2018/11/20/dot-board-2018Nov19mtg-14-Allston-i90-Board-Mtg.pdf
That's way out-of-date. The most recent renders had a 2-platform/3-track station that swapped berths with the layover yard (i.e. layover yard to the south, station north...not station south, layover north like the '18 render). And of course it's all going back into redesign now that the layover yard is being deleted.

weststationflip2.png

I'm excited for the wider paths! Anything is better than what's out there now.

That's way out-of-date. The most recent renders had a 2-platform/3-track station that swapped berths with the layover yard (i.e. layover yard to the south, station north...not station south, layover north like the '18 render). And of course it's all going back into redesign now that the layover yard is being deleted.

weststationflip2.png
I guess I wasnt clear enough but I was saying its old and out dated but it has some 3d angles that havent been shown before that can help you squint and imagine better what itll look like without the layover yard compared to the top down views.

I guess I wasnt clear enough but I was saying its old and out dated but it has some 3d angles that havent been shown before that can help you squint and imagine better what itll look like without the layover yard compared to the top down views.
All of it's obsolete. There's 1 fewer platform, 1 fewer station track, a completely different expressing pattern, the roadway platform over the layover yard doesn't exist anymore, the shared-use path platform over the station doesn't exist anymore, and the 2 Alts. for the busway designs are completely different. Virtually nothing in the 3D renders represents the most recent concepts.

Last edited:
In a future with a Greenline UR stop at West Station, will they at least be preprovisioning for a scenario like that?

In a future with a Greenline UR stop at West Station, will they at least be preprovisioning for a scenario like that?
Who knows? The previous designs really didn't do any provisioning. As it stands the design needs a lot of work, because the current iteration's split between the express tracks and the local/station tracks is going to create traffic conflicts galore for Worcester express + Amtrak meets/overtakes of the locals. They're looking to start VE'ing it, so I bet the shuttle island platform gets deleted entirely as the Grand Junction dinky is not in a study state where it would be anywhere close to being ready by the time the station starts. That could leave a blank space for later infilling. The top level needs some VE'ing too as the only buses slated to use the station busways are 3 private shuttle jitneys (one to Harvard, one to Kendall, one to the LMA), while the current design is an overbuilt mess that berths a much-excessive 6 simultaneous buses they can't explain where will come from.

Back