I-90 Interchange Improvement Project & West Station | Allston

KCasiglio

Reaction score
cden -- not only is it obvious that you've never driven Storrow or the Pike at rush hour -- it's fairly obvious that you haven't even looked at the TV Traffic maps.

Under ideal circumstances the traffic flows slowly if acceptably. Add in any disruption and its essential to have a Plan B. One compromise would be keep the number of lanes but make one each way a breakdown lane [open for travel during rush hour].

The major improvement to the rebuilt Storrow and the Pike is in terms of auxillary structures in addition to the travel lanes. Both the Pike and Storrow were constructed in an era before universal breakdown lanes and similar auxiliaries to the travel lanes as well as inadequate arrangements for merging. I suspect that you could give up one full travel lane for breakdown and expanded merging. The footprint would not get any narrower than it is today -- but it might function more efficiently.

Ideally all the auxiliaries would be added to the existing four travel lanes and even more ideal -- more exits [W bound] and entrances [E bound] would be added where they were never included in the original layout.
You seem to be completely ignoring what he said about this being entirely out of line with the stated goals of reducing single person auto trips by 50%

whighlander

Reaction score
The federal gov't isn't allowing any new sections of breakdown lane travel and that is honestly worse imo than just not having a lane. Either way it would never be approved so that doesn't matter. I think taking it down by one lane in each direction would be okay and would in the long run encourage less people to drive into the city and instead take transit.
Citylover -- it doesn't work that way
Narrowing the Pike without making any accommodations to improve the flow and merging just makes the Pike less efficient and makes rush hour that much longer and screws up the local environment with more stop and go emissions.

In the long term:
  1. some folks will move locally to minimize the commute,
  2. some will just chalk-it up to Government Screw-ups and complain more
  3. some may change jobs
  4. some may work from home more
  5. and some will beat the scene for someplace with better weather
  6. A few might try the T --
    1. perhaps some might give it a 2nd chance --
    2. perhaps they already have experience that lets them know that the T doesn't work for them

whighlander

Reaction score
You seem to be completely ignoring what he said about this being entirely out of line with the stated goals of reducing single person auto trips by 50%
KCasiglio -- I'm not ignoring his repeating of the
City's GoBoston 2030 plan looks to reduce the percentage of people driving alone to work by 50% by 2030,
That is just a political statement with no value what-so-ever. There is only one way that the goal could be achieved -- the same way Detroit did it -- empty the city out by killing the economy -- it has the same reality associated with it as the Red Sox promising to be in the World Series any given year between 1920 and about 1999

tangent

Reaction score
Might be a good time to just knock it all down and build the road on the ground. Get it done while people aren't on the roads. Half joking, just half.

stick n move

Reaction score
Might be a good time to just knock it all down and build the road on the ground. Get it done while people aren't on the roads. Half joking, just half.
Na not even joking they should. Definitely they should run double shifts, 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, 12 on 12 off like I did on deployments. Works great when necessary.

No one could have predicted this, but as bad as its going to be for everyone, if there is a way to use it to our advantage in some way we pretty much have no choice but to.

Last edited:

whighlander

Reaction score
Na not even joking they should. Definitely they should run double shifts, 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, 12 on 12 off like I did on deployments. Works great when necessary.

No one could have predicted this, but as bad as its going to be for everyone, if there is a way to use it to our advantage in some way we pretty much have no choice but to.
Stick -- that 's a good idea

I'd devote the next 2 months or so to building and connecting a temporary I-90 bypass so that when traffic picks-up the work on taking down the current viaduct could proceed with the traffic separated from the construction

Let the Gov's Emergency Declaration and if necessary the President's be used to skip or cut through the mammoth amounts of red tape, law suits, etc that would keep the temporary I-90 bypass from being expeditiously constructed -- might knock a couple of years off the timetable

Tallguy

Reaction score
The stimulus package just passed includes 25B for transit. I suspect more in the future.