I-90 Interchange Improvement Project & West Station | Allston

bakgwailo

Reaction score
I feel like there must be a solution with routing onto Soldier's field/Storrow plus the 20-22 ft between the viaduct and Storrow. Maybe put temp lanes there and grab 2 lanes from Soldier's field for the pike (leaving 1 lane each way on Storrow), then rip down the viaduct.

BeyondRevenue

Reaction score
Wanna know the easy (though politically untenable) way to get your 20+ feet? Narrow The Pike to 6 lanes.
Eastbound 90 picks up a lane in Newton Center -- and then never gets rid of it. When I used to drive back into town I always sped up there because it turns into a four lane free for all. It encourages bad behavior. I can't tell you how many times I went into the inside lane eastbound where the tolls used to be wondering if my tires were going to blow out. We should design now what MassDOT should have designed then - I highway that gets you from point A to point B in a very boring way. You want speed? Move to Loudon, NH.
Realistically, they used to be able to justify long ramps because of the Allston tollbooths. The need isn't there anymore. Make the Newtonians merge into the rabble.

Also, I went down to the Throat Sunday and stood at the East end looking west. Yes, it looks awful. This needs to happen ASAP.
With a little help from Boston University's Department of Planning and Operations we could squeeze everything in -- and maybe a new line of tracks south of the highway supports -- if BU cooperates. I don't think it's too much of a God Mode diversion to suggest BU could elevate, deck over and extend Harry Agganis Way by moving the contents of a couple low-rise building additions (in orange below) so the Commonwealth can run rail underneath. Or we can play a very costly game of infrastructure Tetris.
Snipsnip.jpg

Throat1.jpg
TheresRoom.jpg

stick n move

Reaction score
Not really any new news but commonwealth magazine laid out 10 reasons why at grade is the best option.

10 reasons for building a better highway
Greater safety, better connectivity, and economic growth

FOR US, the Allston interchange is more than a highway project. It’s a way to fix the mistakes of the past, reunite long-separated neighborhoods, and lay the groundwork for an equitable economic expansion of Boston.

We believe the all-at-grade option for the throat section of the project, along with the project’s other amenities, offers the best chance of achieving our goals. Here are 10 reasons why: …

https://commonwealthmagazine.org/transportation/10-reasons-for-building-a-better-highway/

Plus another article about the bigger picture with the development of the area along with before and after pictures Ive never seen of the pike construction.

https://commonwealthmagazine.org/opinion/a-partnership-of-sorts-is-transforming-recovering-allston/

stick n move

Reaction score
BU proposes three new buildings as part of $1-billion campus upgrade; also wants to start looking at building over the turnpike

Possible BU expansion sites in green, including decks over the turnpike.

Boston University recently filed a 10-year, $1-billion "institutional master plan" that calls for a new research building, possibly up to 16 stories, and a new premium student dorm, along with an expansion of solar panels across the campus and a major rehab of the Warren Towers dorms on Commonwealth Avenue.

The plan looks even further out, saying BU has identified a number of locations where the school could grow even further, including the Massachusetts Turnpike, from roughly Buick Street to Beacon Street, over which the school has identified six potential areas where the school could lease air rights from the state, then build decks on which to place buildings.

The University has a strong interest in the future development of air rights over the Turnpike.
https://www.universalhub.com/2022/bu-proposes-three-new-buildings-part-1-billion