I-90 Interchange Improvement Project & West Station | Allston

The solution is obvious folks. Elevate the river instead and put the cars under it

Magdeburg-Water-Bridge-0%25255B6%25255D.jpg

The solution is obvious folks. Elevate the river instead and put the cars under it

Yes, but let's please also add two of these. That way we can get the boats up and down from the elevated river. Come on, if you're going to plan this project, you've got to plan it responsibly, considering all stakeholders.
Falkirk_Wheel_Operation.JPG

Last edited:
I thought it was settled that the Feds aren't going to allow filling in the river at all.

I don't think that was their most recent objection. They're complaining that the roadways on land are below the flood level.

Filling in the river is absolutely inappropriate and would harm the natural ecosystem. The developers should dedicate part of this project to restoring the Charles River to its pre-1857 water levels and conditions.

1628695774255.png

I know that normally aB mods would swoop in about now to shut down this silly thread derailment, but I urge them to consider, in this rare instance, that the above discourse actually accurately reflects the authentic planning insanity associated with this particular project.

Filling in the river is absolutely inappropriate and would harm the natural ecosystem. The developers should dedicate part of this project to restoring the Charles River to its pre-1857 water levels and conditions.

You know that anything like the Back Bay project would never be approved now.

View attachment 15540
Even the Mill Dam is a serious intrusion on tidal flows. Need to rewind back to a pre-1800 configuration to get real Boston Proper tidal flows.

Even the Mill Dam is a serious intrusion on tidal flows. Need to rewind back to a pre-1800 configuration to get real Boston Proper tidal flows.

Umm . . . how far back do you want to go? The basin is unnatural. It's a total FAKE. Completely man made. So you want to go back to the natural mud flats of the 1800s? Personally I think it looks and smells a lot better now.

P.S. And since this area is not natural and actually man-made then what's the big objection in taking four feet of it?

Umm . . . how far back do you want to go? The basin is unnatural. It's a total FAKE. Completely man made. So you want to go back to the natural mud flats of the 1800s? Personally I think it looks and smells a lot better now.

P.S. And since this area is not natural and actually man-made then what's the big objection in taking four feet of it?
I was being sarcastic. I was taking the comment to the reductio ad absurdum. :rolleyes:

Except for the P.S., I was also speaking tongue-in-cheek but I bet there are some hard-core people out there who think it should revert back to its natural state even though it was an unpleasant cesspool :)

I'm not up there right now but the flooding seems severe in certain places. Was there any problem in the throat area? If there was no flooding after this storm what would it take to actually flood the area? Maybe the flood concern is unfounded?

By reducing the highway’s shoulders in certain sections and using a roughly seven-foot-wide stretch of land provided by Boston University, the new design would fit eight lanes of the Pike, four lanes of Soldiers Field Road, and four rail tracks at ground level on land, while cantilevering the Paul Dudley White pedestrian and bike path over the river.

Last edited:

Back