I could use some help...

quadratdackel

Reaction score
First, a few words on where I've been these last few months. (Nice to know I've been missed.) I'm switching from Northeastern's electrical engineering program to the geography PhD program at Penn State. It's an exciting professional move for me, but it means I'll be moving to rural central Pennsylvania. To ease my transition, I forced myself to tame my enthusiasm for the city, which included abstaining from this forum. By now, I'm mentally prepared, so I can post here freely again (although I probably won't be super-active as I've got too many other projects underway).

So... I'm preparing an essay with my thoughts on Boston as an outgoing resident. I could use your help on two parts:
1) A main part of my argument is that Boston could have much more development (as measured in, say, square feet of floor space) if it wasn't so NIMBYish and beholden to the NIMBYs in the development process. This was a big theme when I was active last year, but by now I'm out of touch. Is this just as true now as it was then (or more true or less)? What are some good recent examples of NIMBYs delaying, shrinking, or killing local development, especially high-density mixed-use development, or good examples of such development breezing through the process? Also, has the Patrick administration brought any change in direction on this?

2) Ideas for getting this published. I'd ideally like this to be an opinion piece in the Globe, but I imagine that's a competitive space. If anyone has thoughts on that or knows anyone at the Globe I can discuss this with to see if it's a good fit, that'd be great. Alternatively, any suggestions for other outlets for publishing? I'd be tying the NIMBY/development bit to thoughts on affordable housing, personal health, and climate change, mixed with my own personal experience.

Woot, Getting my BA in Geo now.

1)It is true but Menino has been good at getting development through the system quicker, often to the chagrin of NIMBY's. But don't be mistaken, NIMBY's are alive and kicking. Look in the Northpoint thread about a recent ruling. Also check out the Apple Store thread about Back Bay NIMBY's. I'm sure there are more but there has been a large amount of development recently that had been up in the air just a year ago because of community opposition but is now complete or under construction. Also, developers realized that they needed to work with the community if they didn't want so much opposition. This helps keep down the ruckus but there will always be people who arn't getting what they want and know how to yell loud enough.

2) I am of the internet generation so all I can say it AT LEAST get a website out there with your thesis on it. You might need to add a few graphics but for the most part it should be text. Check out The Boston Foundation for what I think would work.
Other than that, it's all about networking, baby.

^ Thanks for the pointers. I'll of course be sure to have the final product available online, especially once I'm done building my new website. Mmm, new website...

...You have any particular interest within geography?

Back