Ink Block (Boston Herald) | 300 Harrison Avenue | South End

Re: Boston Herald property sold

Agree with HenryAlan and Lurker. I've seen "green" toilet paper.

It's toilet paper. As in paper. Made from pulp. Which comes from trees. Of course it's green!!

That's like saying "biodegradable poo." UGH

No, it means that it is made from recycled paper.

Most toilet paper is made from recycled materials simply because it is cheaper than using fresh materials better suited for higher quality papers.

My complaint about corner markets is the false sense of service, unique products, and quality that some use to price gouge. If the store is essentially a more aesthetically appealing 7-11, with the same service, products, and quality, expecting a price premium for the sake of appearances is ridiculous. Don't give me any bullshit about the "experience" either; it's lipstick on a pig.

I didn't go to the Harrison/Albany meeting today so I'm getting this second hand. The Herald announced that their building will be 5 stories high because this area is filled land and they feel it would be to expensive to sink deeper pilings. I would bet they are really building a place holder so that when the surrounding areas are built up - made safe and nice - they can tear this building down and build higher. They are looking to include a grocery store.

Pretty much all of the South End, whether residential brownstones or warehouses, is 5 stories tall, more or less. The only exceptions I can think of are the hospitals.

Pretty much all of the South End, whether residential brownstones or warehouses, is 5 stories tall, more or less. The only exceptions I can think of are the hospitals.

Part of this planning is to change zoning heights, up to 170 in some places.

from the South End Patch:
A mixed-use development planned for the footprint of the Boston Herald building on Harrison Avenue met with mixed reactions from a crowd of stakeholders on Wednesday, with some saying the tentative plans released by the developer lacked ?ambition.?

?This is very, very disappointing,? said Mario Nicosia, a nearby resident and head of GTI Properties. ?This is not what this neighborhood needs. We need density, we need people. This project is not worthy of a six-acre site.?

National Development?s Ted Tye unveiled preliminary plans for a mixed-use development that includes over 60,000 square feet of retail space underneath residential units. The proposed development utilizes the current footprint of the Herald building, with parking and some public outdoor space taking up the rest of the property.

?We?re trying to create a really active site where there?s a very vibrant streetscape,? he said. ?There?s lights on there?s things happening."

Early plans, which reflect a design by architect Elkys Mandredi, show a 4-5 story building that utilizes different materials to evoke a multi-block feel. The design also incorporates a version of the Boston Herald tower as seen from I-93.

?We take a great deal of pride in the design,? Tye said. ?Were trying to do something here that?s very special but also very unique to this neighborhood [and its] industrial history.?

The developer is envisioning four smaller retail spaces along the Harrison Avenue side of the building with one large retail space along Traveler Street ideally suited for a grocery store. Conversations with several grocery retailers are currently underway, Tye said. The design also leaves space for bike sharing kiosks, electric car hook-ups and Zip Car spaces. An outdoor area that could be used as a caf? is also being considered.

On Tuesday, members of an advisory group dedicated to the Harrison/Albany Corridor expressed disappointment with the scope of the plans, given the property?s potential to act as a gateway to the South End.

?This is very conservative and it seems very suburban to me,? said Christos Hamawi of the Worcester Square Neighborhood Association. ?I agree that it could be used in a much more exiting way.?

National Development has presided over a number of high-profile mixed-use projects including Station Landing in Medford and Meadow Walk in Lynnfield, both of which include retail and residential units in a ?Main Street? design.

On Tuesday, Tye stressed that plans for the Herald property are ?a work in progress.? No plans have been formally submitted to the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

The building is still partially occupied by the Boston Herald editorial and business offices, but the longtime daily newspaper is planning to relocate by the end of the year, Tye said. The company is looking to remain local, although its printing facility is located in Chicopee. *

?The building is really underutilized right now,? Tye said. ?It?s really way beyond its useful life and the Herald is only occupying a small potion of the building.?

http://southend.patch.com/articles/...ed-for-redevelopment-of-boston-herald-offices

Woah. Neighbors criticizing something as "suburban" because they lack density? I'm shocked. That's awesome.

Uh, how bout the ten story building right across the street from the Herald site?

Boston Herald site Redevelopment

National Development certainly brings some credibility to this proposal, but it will be interesting to see if anything can work on a site that's in the armpit of 2 highways.

Redevelopment plans for Herald site filed
By Casey Ross
Globe Staff / June 7, 2011

http://www.boston.com/business/arti...nt_plans_for_herald_site_filed/?p1=News_links

A proposal to build retail stores, 262 apartments, and underground parking on the site of The Boston Herald was filed with the city today, signaling an to end the newspaper?s operations at its longtime headquarters in the South End.

National Development of Newton told the Boston Redevelopment Authority that it wants to transform the industrial property into a mixed-use complex that would incorporate public gardens, outdoor seating, and other amenities.

An executive with National, which entered an agreement to redevelop the property with Herald publisher Patrick Purcell, said the tabloid is planning to move from the property by the end of the year. The executive, Ted Tye, said the Herald is eyeing two locations within the city, but he declined to say where.

A spokeswoman for the Herald could not be reached. Last month, the newspaper announced it was negotiating a deal to have the tabloid largely printed and distributed by The Boston Globe.

The proposed redevelopment of the Herald?s headquarters promises to enliven a drab corner of the city at the intersection of South Boston, Chinatown and the South End. The newspaper built its two-story headquarters on the property in the 1950s.

In a filing with the city, a lawyer for the project said it involves a partial demolition of the building to construct the rental apartments, 63,700-square feet of restaurants and stores, and 263 underground parking spaces. The property would also contain 192 surface parking spaces.

Tye said the retail could include a supermarket, restaurant, caf? and other shops. ?We want to keep the site very active and vibrant,? he said. ?We think that?s what?s called for in this part of the city, where there are some really great projects happening.?

Another developer is planning a hotel on adjacent property and several other retail and residential projects have begun to transform surrounding parcels on Harrison Avenue and Washington Street.

Tye said the firm is hoping to begin construction early next year. It first needs approvals from the Boston Redevelopment Authority and other agencies.
? Copyright 2011 Globe Newspaper Company.

Re: Boston Herald site Redevelopment

This is the site that has a rail spur right off of the NEC, doesn't it?

Re: Boston Herald Property Redevelopment

Indeed B, that is the one with the rail spur (although I don't know when the Herald last received paper by rail).

My little bird also told me that 5 stores is "what they could get financing for" - so even if it's not what anyone wants, they'd rather than have a new building than an empty Herald building waiting for denser development...

192 spot surface parking lot? You gotta be kidding me. Where is the guidance from the city? Is there anyone working at the BRA that does not have their head in their ass?

This is like 1960s Urban Renewal all over again.

Step:
1.Rebuild the original New York City Streets grid with modern utilities.
2.Infill with new residential development in the character of the South End.
3.PROFIT!

Is it really that hard for the BRA to figure that out?

Mmm, the 192-surface lot stuck out to me, too. The underground spots equal the number of residential units; I thought we had decided that you didn't need a one-for-one, that half for one or even two for three was sufficient.

As much as remaking NY Streets sounds inviting, I don't think it works in this day and age.

I think they are grossly under-building, as do some others in the neighborhood.

I think Albany Street is too wide down there, no? There's hardly any traffic except at that on-ramp and the one further down. Can they build a road there accessible only to abutters, maybe for the Herald buildings and the new hotels?

at the first Albany/Harrison meeting the city/bra person said we should look into bringing back something like the old street pattern with smaller blocks and the woman who represented the owner of the Herald yelled out something like - oh no you won't.

why would she care since they are selling the property?

I got the impression that they already had the designs by then

Back