Intermed - as it develops (now officially a high-rise)

P

Patrick

Now that Intermed has final approval, and a very close to final rendering available, I think it deserves its own thread, separate from general bayside development. So far, it has changed from a 9 story, to an 8 story, and now the renderings below make it appear to be a solid 10 stories tall.

From Marginal Way
intermedbldg2ow0.jpg

(the view from interstate 295)
dsc049751yw9.jpg

I think the project looks great from all angles.

Construction begins this spring.

Hey Patrick. Not to be a dink but I'm seeing 9 stories in that pic (4 parking and 5 offices, with a parapet roof)

Also, be glad there is brick included in that building. All glass isn't all it's cracked up to be. I do like this design better than the original one with all the paneling. The student center, not so much. Don't like the color, design, and material, but it could just be the rendering, we shall see.

Mikey, count the floors on the rendering from the back (the black and white picture). There are 4 floors of parking, 5 floors of office, and it looks like there is a break in the building (between parkign and office) which is also roughly one story tall. Not sure what this space is used for, maybe just utility, but even if it is not functional, it adds to the height of the building. I can't view my own picture here at work, because my company blocked the images from showing up (since they are hosted on imageshack.us) but when I get home I will double check. to me it looks like 9 stories from the front (in color) and ten from the back (in black and white). that roof is nice, too, and should push the building height to somewhere around 110 - 125 feet.

Either way, it's going to be a nice addition.

BTW I was TheInsider but that account wont work anymore for some reason.

yeah since you last posted the board crashed and was rebooted last may. that should explain it. Just like the first rendering showed only 8 floors but if you looked close you could see nine, this one is the same way, but from the back it is ten.

for some reason I see nine floors in the first picture and ten in the second picture....anyone else notice this?

This is from the Planning Board's most recent meeting, on March 27th.

intermed is now going to be 135 feet tall, which is taller than city hall and taller than the promenade east condominiums. its the least the city could do after building that 4 story box across the street. the height increase still needs final approval, though.

i. Medical Office Building- Amended Plan; 84 Marginal Way; Capital, LLC, Applicant. (7:00-7:45 pm- estimated time)
The original plan approved by the Planning Board included 82,500 sq. ft. of office space and 459 parking spaces in a parking garage. The revised plan increases the office space to a total of 105,000 sq. ft. and 506 parking spaces. The height of the building is being increased by one floor. The total height of the building is now proposed to be 135 feet high. Zoning for the site is B-7. Land area is 1.37 acres. The plan is subject to site plan and conditional use review (Sec. 14-296(f)) for buildings proposed over 125 feet tall. A modification to the Traffic Movement Permit will also be reviewed.

That's good news for sure. Driving into Portland is going to resemble driving past Worcester pretty soon. The downtown in the background but other buildings next to the highway.

One good thing about the new AAA building is the big Gorham savings sign on it. It is green and yellow at night and it adds a little bit of color to the area.

Driving past Portland will NEVER resemble Worcester, it is already a much better urban layout. Welcome to Worcester, home of three tall buildings. now welcome to portland, where mid rises abound. hmmmm, I think I know which one is better. I cant wait for this thing to go up this spring. should look great coming into the city from the north.

Do you think the picture is the original plan or with the added floor?

It is hard to tell. The color picture looks like it only has 9 floors, and doesn't look like it cuold be 135 feet tall (taller than the east end condominiums) but the black and white photo looks to be the taller version. We'll see.

The corner of the Intermed lot now has a big lease sign up with a picture of the building(like at Waterview). Says occupancy summer 2008. That is pretty damn fast to put that up, considering how long it takes to put up a four story building around here. I guess the second AAA building went up quick. I expect a picture taken from the bushes by Patrick.

No, Back Bay Towers and Franklin Towers are taller. I think One City Center and a few others are taller. Maybe.

Back bay tower and franklin towers are both close to 180 feet tall, this is only 135 feet tall. one city center, time and temp, and portland house are all taller. this building is about as tall as waterview is supposed to be from the north (but two feet shorter, waterview was supposed to be 137 ft). picture is forthcoming.

Patrick said:
Back bay tower and franklin towers are both close to 180 feet tall, this is only 135 feet tall. one city center, time and temp, and portland house are all taller. this building is about as tall as waterview is supposed to be from the north (but two feet shorter, waterview was supposed to be 137 ft). picture is forthcoming.
WHY is the Waterview sign still up? Does anyone, including Allied/Cook Const. & CWS Architects (whose names are on the sign) think this project will ever happen?

Here's the story on Waterview, which I have been following for a while now, and whichI have been personally calling the marketers about:

1. proposed in 2004, approved in 2005, set to begin construction summer 2005

2. site cleared in August 2005, then project stalled, financing lost ebcause of parking

3. winter 2005-06 parking secured in nearby parking garage which Cohen bought for a couple million, project all set to go forward, but financing needed, cohen looked for camden north or something, which may or may not have agreed, I forget

4. summer 2006: Cohen faces law suit from back bay tower for obstructing views of its tennants, but he wins the case, and the court says he has the right to build

5. also, cohen secured some sort of a "right" for the property which extended his special rezoning contract passed the initial time frame he had for construction, according to the marketing group he is workign with.

lastly, just this winter, an article in the portland press herald stated that Cohen plans on beginning construction this Spring.

That's where we're at with that. It will probably go up sometime soon, with different contractors etc.

Patrick said:
Here's the story on Waterview, which I have been following for a while now, and whichI have been personally calling the marketers about:

1. proposed in 2004, approved in 2005, set to begin construction summer 2005

2. site cleared in August 2005, then project stalled, financing lost ebcause of parking

3. winter 2005-06 parking secured in nearby parking garage which Cohen bought for a couple million, project all set to go forward, but financing needed, cohen looked for camden north or something, which may or may not have agreed, I forget

4. summer 2006: Cohen faces law suit from back bay tower for obstructing views of its tennants, but he wins the case, and the court says he has the right to build

5. also, cohen secured some sort of a "right" for the property which extended his special rezoning contract passed the initial time frame he had for construction, according to the marketing group he is workign with.

lastly, just this winter, an article in the portland press herald stated that Cohen plans on beginning construction this Spring.

That's where we're at with that. It will probably go up sometime soon, with different contractors etc.

Waterview...I forget which project that is.

I just drove by the development signs today, they make the building look so much sharper, and a bit taller. it looks awesome.

Back