Jackson Square Infill and Small Developments

I don't mind if the buildings here are 'plain'. The important thing is that they fill up most of the open space and are built in a way that is welcoming to people passing by on the street (and coming off the T).

Sentiment in the neighborhood certainly leans toward "anything is better than what's there now," so there's not a lot of nitpicking over the buildings that came out of this long, drawn out, sometimes contentious process to get control of the land and get something built there.

The biggest constituents are the residents of the two public housing projects that bookend the site (Academy Homes in Roxbury and Bromely Heath in JP). There is some lip service paid to the 30,000+ cars a day that pass through, but the project is not designed for those visitors.

An early proposal in the late '90s by Urban Edge to put a K-Mart on part of the site was shot down quickly and is the key reason why the retail designs are for small shops and not big-box suburban retailers.

In its time, the suburban-style Stop & Shop stripmall nearby was considered a great advance for the neighborhood. It added a much-needed supermarket at a time when many grocery chains were abandoning the inner city.

I'm glad that this neighborhood is now ready to move on to more urban-style development. It does not need attention-getting architecture; it needs to be re-filled with well-designed and useful background buildings.

^ You're exactly right Ron. I can't believe that the buildings torn down for I-95 and I-695 still sit around as vacant lots, decades later.

I have nothing to add other than the fact that the last three post are exactly what keep me coming to archboston.com. I don't live in Boston (for another 5 months anyway), but The intelligent information provided by the members of this forum about happenings in the city (past, present, or future) are far better and more informative than you could ever find in any periodical publication (regardless of how people feel about the Boston Globe and other regional publications).

Re: 1531 Columbus Ave

Crap. Almost every design cliche of the moment is included here.

Do these architects not think for themselves? Do they just open up the latest copy of Architectural Digest and imitate whatever they see in there? Full disclosure, I don't like this overall style, but still... it never ceases to amaze me how lock step architects can be in pushing the flavor-of-the-year.

Yeah, just like all those Renaissance architects all insisted on porticos and pediments and Corinthian capitals and cupolas and compulsive symmetry.

A more benign view might be that it's just a style. A style you may or may not like, but why blame it merely for being a style?

justin

I think what bothers me most is that while the prevailing style changes with the wind, there are architects whose overall look changes right along with it. At least back during the Renaissance there wasn't much of a choice in what trend to follow.

Today it seems one has to put more effort into staying on the what's cool bandwagon.

^ I think that's just the world in general. IMO its gotta do with the ease of obtaining information. everybody knows what everyone else is doing.

^ I think that's just the world in general. IMO its gotta do with the ease of obtaining information. everybody knows what everyone else is doing.

And on that note, I just got word from the BRA that the Jackson Square CAC is meeting on Oct 28...
The next Jackson Square CAC meeting will be held on Tuesday October 28th from 6-8 pm at the Julia Martin House, which is located at 90 Bickford Street in Jamaica Plain (directly next to the Stop and Shop).
I'll find out what's going on with the project -- construction still hasn't started on any of the buildings, though 270 Centre St has been demolished and is surrounded by construction fencing.

I think what bothers me most is that while the prevailing style changes with the wind, there are architects whose overall look changes right along with it. At least back during the Renaissance there wasn't much of a choice in what trend to follow.
Nowadays architects have longer lives than their styles.

Off topic:
Nowadays architects have longer lives than their styles.

Yeah, but eventually they will long enough to see their original style loop back around.

If Philip Johnson was still alive would he be getting more commissions for things like this:
intlplc1.jpg

or this:
philip_johnson_glass_house_new_canaan_connecticut.jpg
?

I've seen that thing at the bottom with its owner in attendance. It is even more devastatingly beautiful than its photos suggest. Everyone should live in a glass house on a vast estate.

I'm not sure if you're into pop music ablarc, nor am I sure this is really an apt analogy but for some reason to me the careers of Sting and Johnson seem to share a similar trajectory.

Ablarc, what was the rest of the Johnson property like? Talk about marking trends: I understand he had a structure for every design era.

and how did you find the old man himself?

Jackson Sq. development gets funding

The Jamaica Plain Neighborhood Development Corporation (JPNDC) has received funding for its planed low-income apartment project at 75 Amory Ave.

“We have secured the financing for 75 Amory Ave., which means we will start construction in 2015,” said JPNDC spokesperson Sally Swenson in an email to the Gazette.

JPNDC, a nonprofit community development corporation, is part of Jackson Square Partners, a coalition of companies redeveloping about 11 acres of land in the Jackson Square area in a coordinated plan.

The 75 Amory Ave. project is part of the first phase of the Jackson Square redevelopment master plan that was approved by the BRA in 2007. It originally was planned as a six-floor building with 36 affordable rental units and 19 affordable condos.

But the Great Recession stopped those plans. The new proposal is for a four-floor building with 39 affordable rental units and 1,015 square feet for office and resident program use. JPNDC has said the reduced size allows it to build a wood-framed structure, which is less expensive than the steel-framed alternative.

http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/2014/08/15/jackson-sq-development-gets-funding/

Real Estate Today: Site III of Jackson Sq. redevelopment moves forward

Site III of the Jackson Square redevelopment project is continuing to move forward, with the Jamaica Plain Neighborhood Development Corporation (JPNDC) applying last month for funding for infrastructure improvements at the site.

JPNDC with its partner for the project, the Community Builders, hosted a meeting in March about plans for the site. Sally Swenson, spokesperson for JPNDC, said in an email to the Gazette that since that meeting they’ve been vetting the plan with city and state agencies and elected officials to attempt to pursue every “possible opportunity and resource.”

“Our main focus has been on securing funding for further infrastructure improvements on Site III, which have to happen before any construction,” she said. “We submitted an application [last month] for about $5.4 million, which will allow us to remove an old sewer line, add a new street that will serve the new housing, and do further improvements to the Columbus Avenue intersection, among others.”

Site III is vacant land roughly between the Orange Line corridor, Amory Street and Centre Street. The project will include two buildings, with one having 105 units of mixed-income home ownership, while the other will have 42 units of 100 percent affordable rental. There will also be about 12,000 square feet of retail space and 179 parking spots.

About 11 acres of land in Jackson Square is being redeveloped by a team that includes Mitchell Properties, JPNDC, TCB and Urban Edge. TCB and Mitchell Properties completed the first phase of the redevelopment at 225 Centre St. last fall. The overall redevelopment has moved slowly over decades of planning and funding bumps.

JPNDC will finish acquiring the infrastructure funding and reviewing the plans with state, city and elected officials before starting the Boston Redevelopment Authority Article 80 zoning review process.

http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/2014...ii-of-jackson-sq-redevelopment-moves-forward/

Jamaica Plain NDC and Back of the Hill CDC are planning to develop the vacant lots behind Jackson Square Station into 47 affordable apartments...

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...able-apartments-planned-near-orange-line.html

The site is bounded by Bromley, New Heath and Parker streets near Mission Hill and is owned by Boston's Department of Neighborhood Development. The DND, under Mayor Martin J. Walsh's housing plan, has been vocal about the need to identify transit-oriented housing development opportunities on city- and DND-owned land.

The development corporations are calling their project the General Square Apartments. The apartments would span four stories and 55,290 square feet.

The new construction "will transform a vacant underutilized lot into a thriving residential community which will complement the fabric of land uses in the area and will contribute to the affordable housing production goals of the City and the Commonwealth," the developers wrote in the letter of intent.

Im actually not a fan of this one. The design will be utter shit and it's way too small for where it is. I believe only one bidder competed for this project, and it's more affordable housing next to the worst projects in Boston. They should build something big here and if not, tear down Bromley Heath first and rebuild before putting in another drab affordable building.

Back