Jamaica Plain Infill and Small Developments

Washington Street (JP) has developed quite a bit in recent years (north to south):
  • 3193 Washington Street: A completed development (2020) with 40 residential units and 2,560 square feet of retail.
  • 3200 Washington Street: A completed development (2019) with 76 residential units and 4,455 square feet of retail.
  • 3326 Washington Street: A proposed project that calls for the construction of a five (5)-story residential building including approximately forty-three (43) residential rental units, ten (10) of which will be Inclusionary Development Policy Units.
  • 3353 Washington Street: One of the two construction sites pictured above. A new mixed-use residential rental building consisting of 45 rental units with 2,000 square feet of retail.
  • 3368 Washington Street: One of the two construction sites pictured above. A five-story, new construction, mixed-use building with 202 affordable residential units, with 140 units designated for supportive housing for individuals served by PSI and the remaining 62 units will be available to households earning between 60% and 80% of area median income.
  • 3371 Washington Street: The proposed development that would include 38 units of housing for low-income and extremely low-income seniors as well as an 800 square foot restaurant space dedicated for the El Embajador Restaurant, which is a current tenant on the site.
  • 3383-3389 Washington Street: A completed development (2017) with 21 residential units and 2,373 square feet of retail.
  • 3409 Washington Street: The proposed development will replace a surface parking lot used for storing towed cars with twenty nine residential apartments and ground floor community commercial.
  • Doyle's Café Project: The proposed mixed-use development revives Doyle’s Café, and expands the Washington Street storefront with a new 4,178 SF urban grocery market addition on the Washington and Gartland Street corner, and adds a new 4-story residential condominium building above the market, with four (4) dwelling units per floor.
  • 3521-3529 Washington Street: A completed development (2020) with 132 residential units and 25,200 square feet of retail.
  • MetroMark: A completed development (2017) with 280 residential units and 7,960 square feet of retail.
  • Velo: A completed development (2020) with approximately 250 residential rental units and approximately 4,070 square feet of retail space.

Last edited:
Washington Street (JP) has developed quite a bit in recent years (north to south):
  • 3193 Washington Street: A completed development (2020) with 40 residential units and 2,560 square feet of retail.
  • 3200 Washington Street: A completed development (2019) with 76 residential units and 4,455 square feet of retail.
  • 3326 Washington Street: A proposed project that calls for the construction of a five (5)-story residential building including approximately forty-three (43) residential rental units, ten (10) of which will be Inclusionary Development Policy Units.
  • 3353 Washington Street: One of the two construction sites pictured above. A new mixed-use residential rental building consisting of 45 rental units with 2,000 square feet of retail.
  • 3368 Washington Street: One of the two construction sites pictured above. A five-story, new construction, mixed-use building with 202 affordable residential units, with 140 units designated for supportive housing for individuals served by PSI and the remaining 62 units will be available to households earning between 60% and 80% of area median income.
  • 3371 Washington Street: The proposed development that would include 38 units of housing for low-income and extremely low-income seniors as well as an 800 square foot restaurant space dedicated for the El Embajador Restaurant, which is a current tenant on the site.
  • 3383-3389 Washington Street: A completed development (2017) with 21 residential units and 2,373 square feet of retail.
  • 3409 Washington Street: The proposed development will replace a surface parking lot used for storing towed cars with twenty nine residential apartments and ground floor community commercial.
  • Doyle's Café Project: The proposed mixed-use development revives Doyle’s Café, and expands the Washington Street storefront with a new 4,178 SF urban grocery market addition on the Washington and Gartland Street corner, and adds a new 4-story residential condominium building above the market, with four (4) dwelling units per floor.
  • 3521-3529 Washington Street: A completed development (2020) with 132 residential units and 25,200 square feet of retail.
  • MetroMark: A completed development (2017) with 280 residential units and 7,960 square feet of retail.
  • Velo: A completed development (2020) with approximately 250 residential rental units and approximately 4,070 square feet of retail space.

I think Washington St may supplant Centre Street as the commercial heart of JP within a decade.* And given its closer proximity to the Orange Line, that's probably a good thing.

*Not that I'm suggesting Centre Street will suffer in any way. Given its bohemian character and increasing density, JP can and should support multiple corridors of activity.

I think Washington St may supplant Centre Street as the commercial heart of JP within a decade.* And given its closer proximity to the Orange Line, that's probably a good thing.

*Not that I'm suggesting Centre Street will suffer in any way. Given its bohemian character and increasing density, JP can and should support multiple corridors of activity.

I live near Washington and think its actually lost appeal in terms of commercial space in recent years. Doyles, Exodus Bagels, The Gate, Drinking Fountain are gone and Dogwood is closing for good soon. Nothing has replaced those spots yet. A new brewery is supposed to go into 3200 but theres been no work done in the space. There is potential for the street to be better than ever in the future but right now its a lot of empty store fronts and construction.

I live near Washington and think its actually lost appeal in terms of commercial space in recent years. Doyles, Exodus Bagels, The Gate, Drinking Fountain are gone and Dogwood is closing for good soon. Nothing has replaced those spots yet. A new brewery is supposed to go into 3200 but theres been no work done in the space. There is potential for the street to be better than ever in the future but right now its a lot of empty store fronts and construction.

Right, which is why I said "within a decade" not "right now." The fact is that Centre Street is mostly lined with one-story tax-payers, while Washington St is seeing a boom of 4 and 5 story buildings, all of which portend the doom for the remaining auto body shops and empty lots that line the southern stretch of the street. Washington will be significantly denser than Centre, and the retail will follow. After all, one of the places you listed -- Doyles -- is being replaced by. . . Doyles, but with people living above it.

Hey neighbor.

It's so true that the state of retail on Washington Street is super disappointing right now, compared to its potential, and I'm glad you mentioned that to the board.

I hope that La Parada, Third Cliff, and Happy Lemon are indicative of more infill retail establishments to come, while the remaining existing spots like El Embajador, Midway, and the VU and survive the transition.

Hey neighbor.

It's so true that the state of retail on Washington Street is super disappointing right now, compared to its potential, and I'm glad you mentioned that to the board.

I hope that La Parada, Third Cliff, and Happy Lemon are indicative of more infill retail establishments to come, while the remaining existing spots like El Embajador, Midway, and the VU and survive the transition.

Third Cliff and the VU are both amazing. The VU in particular is a treasure and I really hope can stick around.

Some infill projects clustered around Washington Street (12.30.22):

JP Infill 1.JPG
JP Infill 3.JPG
JP Infill 4.JPG
JP Infill 2.JPG
JP Infill 5.JPG
JP Infill 6.JPG
JP Infill 7.JPG
JP Infill 9.JPG
JP Infill 8.JPG

Right, which is why I said "within a decade" not "right now." The fact is that Centre Street is mostly lined with one-story tax-payers, while Washington St is seeing a boom of 4 and 5 story buildings, all of which portend the doom for the remaining auto body shops and empty lots that line the southern stretch of the street. Washington will be significantly denser than Centre, and the retail will follow. After all, one of the places you listed -- Doyles -- is being replaced by. . . Doyles, but with people living above it.
I'll believe it when I see it in terms of a new Doyles. They sold their liquor license, after all, so I'm not sure how they will acquire a new one. The Seaport is swallowing up all the JP liquor licenses, Canary Square being the most recent example.
As far as density on Washington Street is concerned, the MBTA bus yard and English high school are limiting that. Centre Street is becoming denser, with the Costello's building addition being a good example. I would love a stretch of Washington Street to be like Centre Street between the Monument and JP Licks but its hard to imagine at the moment. Washington Street certainly isn't as charming as Centre Street.

Reactions: FK4
Board approves replacement of old industrial structure with 12-unit residential building in Egleston Square

By adamg on Tue, 03/28/2023 - 1:57pm
Renderings of proposed new 27 Dixwell st.

“The Zoning Board of Appeal today approved replacing an industrial building at 27 Dixwell St., across from the Hernandez School in Egleston Square with a 12-unit residential building with 12 parking spaces.
OnPoint Capital's proposal calls for two of the units to be marketed as affordable.
Carolyn Royce of the Egleston Square Neighborhood Association praised the proposal to replace the "very shabby industrial building" with housing. City Councilors Kendra Lara and Michael Flaherty supported the proposal as well. Nobody spoke against.”

https://www.universalhub.com/2023/board-approves-replacement-old-industrial

Approved

265-267 Amory Street
367_Amory.jpg

265_Amory.png

“The proposed development calls for the creation of two new, exciting, attractive and energy efficient buildings that will provide a new headquarters for Youth Enrichment Services (YES) in Jamaica Plain as well as an adjacentsister building which will house 7 new condominiums.Construction to consist of two new buildings:• A new three-story commercial building which will include a state-of-the-art ski rental shop including outdoor activity storage to serve the YES mission of providing impactful sports-based youth development and leadership programming for Boston children and teens.• An additional three-story residential building containing seven(7) new residential units to be built at the northern corner of the site.• Parking is provided at grade but internal to the buildings. Fourteen (14) spaces are provided with covered direct access into the main lobbies.”

http://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/265-267-amory-street

The problem with this new neighborhood, along with so many developing neighborhoods in Boston, is lack of liquor licenses. It’s really tragic how the state has just allowed neighborhoods to wither away for years, and how no action seems to be taken. People can have whatever opinions about drinking that they want, but the fact is that you are never going to have a vibrant and well anchored commercial district without bars as well as restaurants that serve alcohol. Despite what the restaurant association people claim, I am quite sure that if restrictions were lifted on liquor licenses in Boston, dozens of outlying neighborhoods would turn into vibrant scenes almost overnight, including, at this point, this corridor. Sadly, the lobbyists seem to be in charge, as usual.

The problem with this new neighborhood, along with so many developing neighborhoods in Boston, is lack of liquor licenses. It’s really tragic how the state has just allowed neighborhoods to wither away for years, and how no action seems to be taken. People can have whatever opinions about drinking that they want, but the fact is that you are never going to have a vibrant and well anchored commercial district without bars as well as restaurants that serve alcohol. Despite what the restaurant association people claim, I am quite sure that if restrictions were lifted on liquor licenses in Boston, dozens of outlying neighborhoods would turn into vibrant scenes almost overnight, including, at this point, this corridor. Sadly, the lobbyists seem to be in charge, as usual.
Spot on. My sister recently bought a condo in one of the new Washington St. buildings, downsizing from a house near the Centre St. monument. There are some good amenities on Washington and Amory St., but when it comes to dining out, she is still mostly going to places on Centre St., precisely because the liquor license assisted dining scene is leaps and bounds further ahead.

14 parking spaces for a 7 unit building that is 1 block from a T station. WTF. Ditch the parking and add a couple more units at least.

The answer is in the article: " Fourteen (14) spaces are provided with covered direct access into the main lobbies.” Lobbies - - plural. The parking is for the two buildings combined. Not just the 7 unit condo one, but also the YES HQ which is the larger building.

Jamaica Plain monastery to become housing
1685598968816.jpeg

“A developer is proposing to redevelop a former Jamaica Plain monastery into a mixed-use development.

Holland Properties filed a letter of intent with the Boston Planning & Development Agencyon May 19.

Holland Properties is looking to rehab the existing 54,000-square-foot Franciscan Poor Clare Nuns’ monastery at 920 Centre St. in Jamaica Plain into a mix of 20 residential apartments, as well as a daycare, office space, a gym, event spaces and storage in the remaining 20,000 square feet.

The development will also include the construction of a Mass Timber building behind the existing monastery, which will house 90 condominiums, including inclusionary units, as well as 121 parking spaces.

The 2.88-acre property located next to the Arnold Arboretum was home to the Poor Clare Nuns monastery, which was built in 1934-1936. Once home to 65 nuns, the remaining 10 sisters sold the property in 2022, after years of looking for a suitable place. The sale of the monastery was needed to make that move, the sisters said on their website. On May 19, the sisters announced they’re moving to a property located at 590 Gay St, in Westwood.”

https://bostonagentmagazine.com/2023/05/31/jamaica-plain-monastery-to-become-housing/

Back