Jobs and Careers

Shepard

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread first to seek some advice, but second in case there's other questions that others would want to ask - this would be a good place and I don't think we have something similar on the forum.

--

I've been working in management and strategy consulting for over 6 years and looking to make a change into something in the real estate development field. If I could get into a time machine and go back 10 years I would choose to study architecture instead of the fuddly-duddly humanities/social science degrees I actually pursued (and yet I suspect if I had done so I wouldn't be as financially secure as I am currently)... in any case, I'm not at a place where I can comfortably go back to school for years or take on risk like that.

So, given that I have an eye for architecture and design, and that I'd probably be looking for a salaried position, what kinds of roles/positions are out there that I should be looking for? I'm not dead-set on working for a developer, although that looks to be a logical route - I have no idea, for example, if larger architecture firms have non-architect roles for project management, etc. Of course, I'm also looking to know what I'd be qualified to do given my background.

Thanks for any advice!

I was at Bain Consulting out of undergrad. Ended up going back to school to get my MBA and MPA (Public Administration), which made a career switch much easier. I did a dual degree program between Kellogg (Northwestern) and the Kennedy School so I was exposed to both the business and policy/planning side of things. I'd recommend the program if you can take a couple years off. If not, there are some good accelerated full-time MBA programs that only take a year.

I realize and MBA doesn't necessarily put you in a design/arch field, but I found it to be a great way to make a career change. And not just for the education. Great opportunity to leverage the career services dept, the alumni network, etc.

I hope this thread turns into something interesting and useful.

I suggested a Careers thread a while ago, but I know some of us want to be anonymous as possible for a number of reasons. I'm not sure, but I think the board software could allow for a password protected Members Only area for career-related discourse.

Briv -- do you have thoughts?

Want to be a big shot? Go to law school and graduate with tons of debt and no career options. Not.

I think perhaps being a columnist of some sort might be a good way for your to earn some money while indulging your passion--that's what I do. You can be one of the greatest urbanists of all time and not have any formal education in it, yet still make money off of your commentary (Jane Jacobs).

I feel like as someone from inside the industry I'm required to give the "run away from architecture" speech. I have it memorized because I've had it lectured to me so many times.

There are indeed plenty of positions that are not design-related at firms and development companies. I'd say working for a developer is the way to go because the developer is really the one who has to do the real-estate marketing. It's a back-and-forth dialogue between developer and architect giving recommendations and requirements. Having a "good design sense" (without a degree in architecture) is where this can come into use. Someone needs to know what the building requirements should be so they can relay them to the architect and engineers who handle the technical side of the project. I would say that, paired with your experience in strategy consulting, makes you a great candidate for the job.

^ There is no one from any industry right now who doesn't feel obligated to give a "run away from it" speech, including the industry in which I'm currently gainfully employed.

I'm glad people here are offering constructive solutions as well...

Run away speech? Try run away like your hair is on fire speech.

If you want a job in the industry I strongly suggest working for a builder or at least at some sort of construction. Knowing how a building is put together, and how people in the field view and use drawings makes you valuable. The typical architecture firm does not want invest a lot of money into teaching every useless graduate how to put a building together on paper, only to have them leave for another company.

Design, graphics, and all the creative bullshit that people think of as architects doing, and all schools teach these days, is worthless without a fundamental understanding of detailing and how things are actually put together. Unless the creative person ultimately can provide a complete and accurately detailed set of construction documents to the contractor, he or she is only drawing not practicing architecture.

I'm in a field kind of separated far from what most other people on this board are employed in, Theatrical Scenic Design, and am currently fumbling with the grad school question myself. I got accepted to two, one is a top 4 school in the field, the other offered me a full ride scholarship.... decisions, decisions, decisions..... i am so torn as to which to attend it is driving me nuts, and i have to decide by thursday!

Thanks everyone for the great advice! Much appreciated. Just wanted to follow up on Lurker's idea:

If you want a job in the industry I strongly suggest working for a builder or at least at some sort of construction.

Are there opportunities like this open to people like me with absolutely no engineering background?

Also curious: what are the specific roles at developers that may be open to hiring people without direct development or real estate experience?

Are there opportunities like this open to people like me with absolutely no engineering background?
Yes if you're willing to take a substantial pay cut. I took a 40% pay cut to go from management consulting to construction. But I think there's a much bigger upside and coming from a consulting background you'll find there's so much "low-hanging fruit" that you can be impactful right away (despite not know a ton about engineering).

Also curious: what are the specific roles at developers that may be open to hiring people without direct development or real estate experience?
Finance, fundraising, underwriting, due diligence (comp analysis, etc.).

AFL - What role, if I may ask, do you have in construction coming from that background?

Project Management and estimating.

I also do some random ad hoc things for our company because I'm one of the few people with a non-construction background. So if we're looking at buying a property, or investing in another construction company, or developing a property, or analyzing best practices in the industry, etc.... I take on those projects.

During grad school I interned with Avalon Bay one year and Hines Interests another. In both cases they put me on comp analysis and valuations/underwriting analysis. Sounds like your background would be a good fit for that.

Law will be good to you if you are not afraid to go to court and bust balls. If you wanted to mix law, construction and design, go into construction law. I'd look for a clerkship in a firm that does it as a specialty, or try to attach yourself to an in house counsel. If you didn't mind the modest pay, you could work for the state either at the A.G.'s office, DCAM or even the I.G. if you wanted to get involved in public sector construction. There are many fine people working in those agencies, employment is steady, and there are no billable hours.

The downside of private sector law: 3 more years of school, and private sector constuction law is only as healthy as the construction industry. That is, unless you want to spend all your time doing bid protests and bankruptcy appearances.

I recollect that Northeastern has a legal coop program, which might ease the short term poverty factor. Regardless of where you attend, getting a good clerkship is key, as the practical experience gives life to the tedium of the course work. That plus it is often a foot in the door to future employment!

I don't do a whole lot of construction law these days, maybe only 2 or 3 trials a year, but I have other arrows in my quiver so the economy doesn't affect me much... A wise old lawyer once told me that when it rains, you want to be the guy in the umbrella business.

But the wheel always turns, and construction law will be back eventually.

Law will be good to you if you are not afraid to go to court and bust balls. If you wanted to mix law, construction and design, go into construction law. I'd look for a clerkship in a firm that does it as a specialty, or try to attach yourself to an in house counsel. If you didn't mind the modest pay, you could work for the state either at the A.G.'s office, DCAM or even the I.G. if you wanted to get involved in public sector construction. There are many fine people working in those agencies, employment is steady, and there are no billable hours.

The downside of private sector law: 3 more years of school, and private sector constuction law is only as healthy as the construction industry. That is, unless you want to spend all your time doing bid protests and bankruptcy appearances.

I recollect that Northeastern has a legal coop program, which might ease the short term poverty factor. Regardless of where you attend, getting a good clerkship is key, as the practical experience gives life to the tedium of the course work. That plus it is often a foot in the door to future employment!

I don't do a whole lot of construction law these days, maybe only 2 or 3 trials a year, but I have other arrows in my quiver so the economy doesn't affect me much... A wise old lawyer once told me that when it rains, you want to be the guy in the umbrella business.

But the wheel always turns, and construction law will be back eventually.

"when it rains, you want to be the guy in the umbrella business."

I wish there was a "like" button on AB.

In this rainstorm, all I've had to offer is a legal super-soaker.

I would add to your comments that law can also be a good ticket into non-legal planning careers, especially with a concentration on land use. I'm making more between writing, planning and consulting than I ever did as an attorney.

Back