Julie Hall | Brookline Ave | Emanuel College | Fenway

I actually think this looks really great for a dorm and don't really get all the criticism. The materials, massing, density, and vertical lines all show that some thought and care was put into this project. Even the top of it doesn't bother me at all.

I think it's possible to think this building is a positive for Emmanuel, and the Fenway, and good on its own merits, and also that the architect let up at the 5-yard line instead of punching it in. It's called nitpicking, and it's part of why I like coming here.

Another one, also mentioned upthread: pretty ghastly efflorescence.

Great pics, especially the vertical ones. This is a really nice addition to the area and helps connect Longwood back to Fenway.

In person this tower absolutely LOOMS over the road.

I along with everybody else was wondering why the hell didnt it have any corniche, crown...etc, but we were already along for the ride so at that point just had to wait and see. Now with it wrapping up it gives it a pretty unique look while also tipping its cap to BU’s brutalist towers that are its neighbors on the skyline but also looking more modern at the same time. Its good to experiment with things.... but wayyyyy better when you do and it comes out good lol. When you experiment and it comes out bad (888) it can make you wonder why the hell didnt they built a blue glass box you cant screw that up. Thats always the risk you run, but this to me at least came out good. Not world class by anyyyyy means but its good.

Last edited:
A handsome building. Curious about the fencing, does it extend around the whole dorm for security reasons?

Spectacular.... missing about 6~9 floors (per the usual).

But lovely nevertheless.

Spectacular.... missing about 6~9 floors (per the usual).

But lovely nevertheless.

Can you stop barfing all over every thread with your too short BS. We get it. Start your own thread, make a post that says "all buildings built in Boston are too short" and go away.

The height variability of the buildings here is great, unlike the SB Waterfront. Also it's out a ways from downtown, with large areas of low-rise residential to the south. So I'm happy there aren't a massing of supertalls.

Back