Julie Hall | Brookline Ave | Emanuel College | Fenway

Oh yes, I had semi-forgotten about that project... good catch, BB, and good job by Emmanuel and Goody Clancy for developing a cohesive and appealing design language for the campus.

The decision to not have any sort of cornice or cap on either volume is truly strange in person.The eye climbs the walls and expects to find some resolution where there is none to be had.

I think the resolution in this case comes in the form of "visual crenelation" (there is probably a more appropriate architectural term for that) rather than a cornice, though I do wish they'd continued to use actual glass all the way to the roof line.

41443682625_213e63ccb2_h.jpg

40538670120_bc8ff6b088_h.jpg

42297594902_86cf652050_h.jpg

Real nice pics of a very nice addition to the neighborhood! Julie's a class act!

692 student capacity. The original proposal was for about 450 students. The building looked too large for only 450 students.

Still a lot of work to do for an August opening.

692 student capacity. The original proposal was for about 450 students. The building looked too large for only 450 students.

Still a lot of work to do for an August opening.

I believe the rooms are apartment style. So ... think of it as 115 2 bedroom apartments.

Why does this project reject the idea of cornice? It ends so awkwardly against the sky ... or am I just being an old fuddy duddy. (proved by the fact that I just used the phrase fuddy duddy).

cca

I agree. It looks abrupt. However, up-thread, I think someone explained that it was done purposely because of some other buildings on their campus have a similar sans-cornice building.

Why does this project reject the idea of cornice? It ends so awkwardly against the sky ... or am I just being an old fuddy duddy. (proved by the fact that I just used the phrase fuddy duddy).

cca

That approach was a disaster with the Harvard dorm tower by Machado Silvetti built on the Charles ... I guess these guys thought that if they could crack the code than the Pritzker would be theirs. Who knows, maybe they have figured it out.

cca

Awesome picture. This is turning out really well for a dorm so I'm not going to be nitpicky about it.

Amazingly, this is almost complete and doesn't have an entry in skyscraperpage's diagram section.

Back