Julie Hall | Brookline Ave | Emanuel College | Fenway

Very strange lack of cornice on the lower volume, makes it seems like its top is chopped off. Ann Beha did a similar thing in the new dorm at NEC off Huntington; what gives?

I had read that this would house 450 students. It seems to be the size of a 700-800 student dorm.

It might be suite or apartment style dorms or include some which would mean less students per square foot of building. That could be why it looks bigger than you expected. Most of the new housing at colleges is suite style to make it more like living in an apartment.

It might be suite or apartment style dorms or include some which would mean less students per square foot of building. That could be why it looks bigger than you expected. Most of the new housing at colleges is suite style to make it more like living in an apartment.

This ^^^

whI8nDs.png

5J7MKpt.png

http://i.imgur.com/Smhf3p9.png[/img[/QUOTE]
Much less glass and much more brick than the initial renderings. This has lost its lightness and interesting design.

Much less glass and much more brick than the initial renderings. This has lost its lightness and interesting design.

It definitely lost its lightness, but overall, it still appears to be a pretty good building. I'm liking what I see so far of the facade. Should be a stately brick & glass tower.

I am optimistic that the (hand-laid!) masonry will push this building to "above average".

It definitely lost its lightness, but overall, it still appears to be a pretty good building. I'm liking what I see so far of the facade. Should be a stately brick & glass tower.

I love the massing, and I thought it looked great a couple weeks ago when it was all grey and silver (the undercovering of the facade materials). That color scheme would look much better here… Midsize brick towers, in general, never look that great. But, I agree that what we can see of the brickwork looks “decent”.

Walked by this yesterday. Couple of things of note, which I think I mentioned before but wanted to confirm:

There is some mild efflorescence on the taller volume but it actually gives the building an aged look that'll help it fit in faster.

The massing is pretty excellent; the Brookline Ave building is just the right height to be present on the street and not overwhelm.

The decision to not have any sort of cornice or cap on either volume is truly strange in person.The eye climbs the walls and expects to find some resolution where there is none to be had. Not in love with that. Otherwise, this is a hit!

Back