Kayvon Edson

Criminal Act or Performance Art?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You've touched on the root of a much larger issue in the United States. US prisons are now widely being used as mental asylums. Far too many people in prison are mentally ill. It is counterproductive to any hope of rehabilitation. There's this American mentality of "oh he/she's crazy - lock him/her up" that is really just ass-backwards.
Some people (crazy or not) need to be behind bars. We have an awful Criminal Justice system in this country, and we have a lack of Mental Health care here in America. But this criminal is an animal in my opinion. What's most disturbing here are the people who are defending him.

Let me ask you all this, if this Kayvon kid was from Mattapan, would you all be defending him and his "mental illness?"

Only one person seems to be on his side but frankly, I think people would be more eager to defend him if he was a poor black kid from Mattapan on account of political correctness and potentially more "mitigating circumstances."

Let me ask you all this, if this Kayvon kid was from Mattapan, would you all be defending him and his "mental illness?"
Uh, no because no one is really defending him. A mentally ill person is a mentally ill person - "from Mattapan" or not*. We believe he needs treatment and support rather than abandonment in a regular prison.

*We all know what this actually means

Only one person seems to be on his side but frankly, I think people would be more eager to defend him if he was a poor black kid from Mattapan on account of political correctness and potentially more "mitigating circumstances."

Ah there's the kmp I know! I was getting concerned how we were all agreeing on something earlier.

Last edited:
I think people would be more eager to defend him if he was a poor black kid from Mattapan on account of political correctness and potentially more "mitigating circumstances."

Everyone already assumed you thought that. No need to burn bandwidth pointing it out.

Some people (crazy or not) need to be behind bars. We have an awful Criminal Justice system in this country, and we have a lack of Mental Health care here in America. But this criminal is an animal in my opinion. What's most disturbing here are the people who are defending him.

You realize that being locked in a mental institution is not cup of tea right? Who's defending him? I prefer to see sick people get the treatment they need rather than knee-jerk, emotional, "lock him up and throw away the key" idiocy. Nice scare quotes around mental illness btw...

And wtf was that Mattapan comment?

I don't see anyone here that was "on Kayvon's side". I made some statements on NECN's side, which isn't the same thing at all.

You realize that being locked in a mental institution is not cup of tea right? Who's defending him? I prefer to see sick people get the treatment they need rather than knee-jerk, emotional, "lock him up and throw away the key" idiocy. Nice scare quotes around mental illness btw...

And wtf was that Mattapan comment?
Because some people get mental health behind bars. Yes, our criminal justice system is a joke. I can't stand seeing pot smokers behind bars for non violent crimes. But why are all those rapists and murderers behind bars? Because they're crazy. But it's still no excuse.

There's a lack of mental health care in our country no doubt. But to excuse such a criminal act would lead us down a slippery slope.

And I bring it up because many on the internet (I'm not saying here) who would judge this kid waaaaaaaaaaay differently if he were black. That's all.

Back