Kendall/MIT Infill and Small Developments

Why are they modifying this building? It’s a perfect building.

Why are they modifying this building? It’s a perfect building.
Because it's a "Brutalist concrete tower" as the site described it? I'm probably reading too much into that statement, but it seems there is a bias there.

The base of that tower leaves a lot to be desired by 2020 standards in terms of comfort, usability, space activation. Looks like they are modifying it for the better.

From last month but still a nice overview of developments.

3E5F42FB-C349-4F53-B0BD-3F1D67ABF983.jpeg

I was just having a conversation and its contrast in development constraints/allowances compared to Boston (and its specific neughborhoods). It seems there is still a very high cost/sq ft for lab space, while the area of Kendall isn't a huge space (unless high rise res and labs want to encroach on Central or connect to North Point) - so there is probably more likelihood of building up and fast approvals than Boston. So can we expect most of our 350' footers popping up in Kendall, rather than Boston?

I was just having a conversation and its contrast in development constraints/allowances compared to Boston (and its specific neughborhoods). It seems there is still a very high cost/sq ft for lab space, while the area of Kendall isn't a huge space (unless high rise res and labs want to encroach on Central or connect to North Point) - so there is probably more likelihood of building up and fast approvals than Boston. So can we expect most of our 350' footers popping up in Kendall, rather than Boston?

I wouldn't count on the approvals being easy. Cambridge is allowing 300 feet to really only 2 developers - MITIMCO and BXP - on master planned sites. Unlike in Boston, I believe you need to go to the City Council, same way you do in the suburbs.

I wouldn't count on the approvals being easy. Cambridge is allowing 300 feet to really only 2 developers - MITIMCO and BXP - on master planned sites. Unlike in Boston, I believe you need to go to the City Council, same way you do in the suburbs.
Interesting - thanks for explaining. I thought there was a more observable general trend

Must be some really good music or something... why are there two structural systems, and why is the bracing so aggressive? It looks like it's been designed to withstand shear forces with a factor of safety of 10.

Must be some really good music or something... why are there two structural systems, and why is the bracing so aggressive? It looks like it's been designed to withstand shear forces with a factor of safety of 10.
It looks like the interior and outside walls are separated to have an interior space completely isolated from outside interference? Advancements in passive energy efficiency are being built into it as well so it could just be ventilation around a large space filled with 100s of people.

A New Home for Music at MIT

PDF plans

Untitled.png

It looks like the interior and outside walls are separated to have an interior space completely isolated from outside interference? Advancements in passive energy efficiency are being built into it as well so it could just be ventilation around a large space filled with 100s of people.

A New Home for Music at MIT

PDF plans

View attachment 33733

Nothing says "Music" to me better than three brick fortress blocks.

This building could actually be a masterpiece of structural expressionism if they chose not to cover it in a layer of fake brick.

Mixed thoughts: Clearly going for cohesion with the '50s Finnish modernism on campus, but also, shrug. A bit too on the nose 70 years later. Always happy to see new performance space being invested in, not just always labs and dorms.

Last edited:

Back