Kennedy School of Government | Harvard Square | Cambridge

Anyone else a little surprised that the steel framing on the 'bridge' section here isn't more complex than it is? I don't see a diagonal member anywhere...just curious...

CSTH -- Two answers

#1 -- this is Haaaaaahhhhvd -- we don need no stinkin diagonals

#2 look just below the big window in the brick box on the top left -- there is a diagonal

Charlie -- its a HHHHHaaaaaaahhhhhhvd building in Cambridge what did you expect Le Corbusier?

Actually, Harvard did build a Le Corbusier back in the early 1960's on Quincy St. I used to walk by it everyday on my way home from Cambridge High and Latin. That was back when Harvard had some architectural courage and vision, before they went Disneyland (per this current project).

The brick work almost looks completely hand-placed, and not too panel-like. There are vertical and horizontal seams that look like panels, but as good as can be expected these days. Masons are expensive.

The brick work almost looks completely hand-placed, and not too panel-like. There are vertical and horizontal seams that look like panels, but as good as can be expected these days. Masons are expensive.

"hand-work" brick still has vertical control joints every 30' or so (because it is always a single wythe and since it is just a thin curtain of brick, you will get serious cracking if you dont.) It just happens to be a good dimension for precast paneling too.

cca

This was a really nice project

Seriously, I love how this turned out. I wouldn't mind a rethink of some of the ground floor space (Eliot and the Eliot/JFK Corner in particular) as retail in the future but this is much better as is.

Ground floor retail will never happen here. There is too much security need.

cca

Back