Kindred Hospital Site Redevelopment | 1515 Commonwealth Ave. | Brighton

Re: Kindred Care hospital redevelopment

This looks fantastic. Along with all the other planned residential construction in this area, it might finally start to feel like a more cohesive neighborhood.

Yes, my experience, too. I lived in two different apartments just south of Comm. Ave. at either end of this stretch and despite three years in the vicinity, never got a feel for what was there on the other side of the B Line tracks.

Funny enough, I was biking up Washington yesterday and got the red light at Monastery Road. I was surprised to notice how many cars were turning right into Monastery.

DPIR:

I believe this has shrunk quite a bit, so the focus is now on the plantings...

1582640074055.png

So the 5 or so residents that actually occupy their own units within several miles of here complained and they got their way? Cool

The Green Line train in the BPDA schematic looks like a cross between a PCC and an old European tram.

Looks like the tower has gone from 17 floors to 10 and a decrease of 50 units:mad:.

Sadly, the total loss of units, is 80. This comes directly from the DPIR as quoted below,

"As a response to comments from the public and the Scoping Determination on the PNF submission issued by the BPDA, there have been several adjustments to the Project massing and layout. Due to concerns regarding density and scale, both the rental and condominium components have been reduced in height and area. The rental component has been reduced by two stories (26 feet) and 25 units, and the condominium component reduced by nine stories (95 feet) and 55 units."

Sadly, the total loss of units, is 80. This comes directly from the DPIR as quoted below,

"As a response to comments from the public and the Scoping Determination on the PNF submission issued by the BPDA, there have been several adjustments to the Project massing and layout. Due to concerns regarding density and scale, both the rental and condominium components have been reduced in height and area. The rental component has been reduced by two stories (26 feet) and 25 units, and the condominium component reduced by nine stories (95 feet) and 55 units."
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The number of units remaining is 250+, with 160 parking spaces (so much for being directly on the Green Line).

IMO, if the project was not at the top of a hill, additional height would have passed muster. Looking at existing zoning, it probably would be a long shot getting zoning to approve a project that would have towered over a neighborhood of multi-family, four to five story, apartment buildings, whose heights generally conform to the 55 foot zoning cap.

The Project Site is located at the top of a hill along the Commonwealth Avenue West Carriage Road between Warren Street and Washington Street. The topography of the Project Site is extremely varied; across the Project Site it varies from 158’-0” at the Northeast corner of the Project Site to 186’- 0” at the center of the Project Site / existing upper level entry. .......

In addition, the Project will exceed the existing Building Height (55 feet) and Floor Area Ratio (1.0) maximums for the Project Site established by Article 512; the proposed maximum building heights at the Project are 70+ feet for the rental building and 85+ feet for the condominium building, while the proposed Floor Area Ratio for the Project is 2.6. Therefore, the Project will require multiple forms of zoning relief from the City’s Board of Appeal.

It's actually better than the previous iteration.

Agreed, but it's genuinely odd how the project draws your eye in towards the center - where they placed the cheapo Alucobond box.

Back