Korea's tribute to 9/11?

Lrfox

Reaction score
Link to original source: http://www.barstoolsports.com/nyc/super-page/not-cool-korea-not-cool/

911.jpg

I follow Barstool more than I care to admit. Today they dabbled in the world of architecture. KFC, one of their writers, seems to think this new residential structure in Seoul, South Korea is too reminiscent of 9/11/01.

Frankly, while I do see where he could get that impression, I'm not at all offended by it. In fact, I really like the buildings.

Just thought it would be interesting to hear the opinions of those at AB.

Who gives a fuck.

Some people need to quit their belly aching.

I find it ironic because my general impression from the typical Barstool commenter is they don't care about being PC. But suddenly this comes up and we have to be all PC about it, attack it, and stomp it out.

Is there any legitimate proof that this has anything to with 9/11? Even if there is, I really don't care. Korea can do what they want to do.

My only quibble is the towers themselves look hideous to me, like the Harbor Towers but with more modern flair dashed in and a bit taller. The bulge-y part is cool though.

I find this design disturbing, but I wouldn't presume to tell Koreans what they should build in their own city.

Frankly, while I do see where he could get that impression, I'm not at all offended by it. In fact, I really like the buildings.

Really? This doesn't look like the twin towers with an explosion in the middle?

But whatever, let them build it.

This hit Architizer and ArchDaily this past weekend with mixed response. I totally believe that MVRDV wasn't aiming for this reaction at all (the inspiration is a cloud connecting two buildings), but at some point they should have stepped back said woah this could invoke negative emotions.

When Architizer posted it they made mention of Peter Eisenman's ridiculously grim (and inappropriate) proposal for the new WTC development as being much worse.

Really? This doesn't look like the twin towers with an explosion in the middle?

But whatever, let them build it.

I did say that I can see why that comes to mind, but I don't think that the destruction of WTC 1 and 2 was the inspiration for this project and I actually think the "connecting cloud" concept is sort of interesting.

Sure there's a resemblance, but I find it no more offensive than I find Torre Agbar offensive for looking like a penis. If the architect was designing this to look like 1 and 2 WTC, I'd be offended. I also think they'd have some trouble finding occupants.

I did say that I can see why that comes to mind, but I don't think that the destruction of WTC 1 and 2 was the inspiration for this project

Gottcha.

I actually think the "connecting cloud" concept is sort of interesting.

If you look at the other renderings it does look really cool.

Back