kz's Wanderings Around Greater Boston

kz1000ps

Reaction score
My hometown! Let me know if you want any recs for the next time you're in the area :)
By all means throw some stuff my way! I got lunch at Abrahams and wasn't blown away by their bagels although the rest of the BLT I got was quite good.

Blackbird

Reaction score
By all means throw some stuff my way! I got lunch at Abrahams and wasn't blown away by their bagels although the rest of the BLT I got was quite good.
If you're there on a weekday, I love Middle Street Foods which is right around the corner from Abraham's. I especially like their egg and cheese biscuit sandwiches. Likewise, the croissants at Buttermilk next to Abe's are superb.

There used to be a great crepe place in the city, but it closed during the pandemic and was recently replaced by a cafe whose first location is in Haverhill. It's okay, but I sure do miss my crepes.

Downburst

Reaction score
Oh, that hurts my heart! Abraham's bagels are my very, very favorite--perhaps it's hometown bias, but to each their own. I'm back home about once a month, so this list is reasonably reflective of current quality, IMO:
  • Angie's is a good stop if you want an authentic, old-timey diner experience.
  • Hodgie's Too is my first and last stop for ice cream.
  • Bar25 is arguably Newburyport's first cocktail bar; recently opened, nice and moody, if a bit loud.
  • Riverwalk is a great brewery and taproom right next to the commuter rail station.
  • Giuseppe's continues to be some of the best Italian food I've ever had. Really cannot recommend enough.
  • The Park Lunch and the Grog are the ideal taverns for meeting townies.
  • Maudslay State Park is a beautiful old estate and a great day walk/light hike.
EDIT: Also, if you want to photograph a great house, take a look by the corner of Orange and Federal Streets.

Blackbird

Reaction score
Oh, that hurts my heart! Abraham's bagels are my very, very favorite--perhaps it's hometown bias, but to each their own
I'm actually also of the opinion that Abraham's is just okay. 😬

Hodgie's Too is my first and last stop for ice cream.
OG Hodgie's in next-door Amesbury is also good!

Riverwalk is a great brewery and taproom right next to the commuter rail station.
Seconded! And NBPT brewery is close to Riverwalk and also good!

Last edited:

kz1000ps

Reaction score
Oh, that hurts my heart! Abraham's bagels are my very, very favorite--perhaps it's hometown bias, but to each their own.
Ok I have an amendment to make: once every month or two I have a day where my taste buds are not right and everything tastes kinda of chalky and bitter. It's something that started up maybe 2-3 years ago and it's something that I only realize is happening as I eat stuff over the course of the day (also my doctor says this isn't uncommon and it's nothing to worry about).

That day last week when I had Abraham's was one of those off days and I should've remembered that when I wrote my comment but didn't because, again, it happens so infrequently that I just don't think about it that much. But I went back today and got the exact same thing (BLT on asiago) and it was much better. The bread was cheesy, almost sweet and no bitter chalky flavor! Wowee!

Now I did live in NYC for six years and have had some incredible bagels down there and I'm a tough critic, but I can now say that's a solidly good bagel and definitely one of the better ones I've had up here in Boston. Next time I'll switch things up and try a different sandwich 🥯