Lancaster Boston | 1501 Commonwealth Ave | Brighton

Re: 1501 Commonwealth Ave

I volunteer at the Allston Brighton CDC and I've had access to the renderings for our proposal for some time now. Maybe I can steal one of the promotional books and scan the images in for you all.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/allston/homepage/x1135865565

Perspective: Charing Cross best condo plan for 1501 Comm.
By Merrill H. Diamond, Diamond Sinacori LLC
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 09:28 AM EDT

Allston-Brighton - I am writing in response to the article by Keith Howard, ?Four push condo projects,? that appeared in the March 28 edition of the A-B TAB. As the spokesperson for the Brighton Partnership for Community Reinvestment, LLC ? a joint venture of Diamond Sinacori and Hart Development Associates ? I would like to correct and clarify some aspects of that article which attempts to differentiate among the four proposals.

Perhaps most important, while the reporter correctly notes our pride in what we feel is easily the most beautiful building of the four proposals, it would have been helpful to amplify a bit on the reason for, and the importance of, that pride. Designed in a traditional English Jacobean architectural style that is indigenous to the area, our building, Charing Cross, speaks to the need to create a signature piece of architecture to continue the revitalization of Brighton that we started with the development of The Waterworks at Chestnut Hill. Not only will this be important to the market-rate buyers who are intended to populate the buildings proposed by each respondent, but it will signal a definite halt to the cookie-cutter, box-like architecture that already exists on and adjacent to the site.

It should also be noted that Charing Cross is a five-story building (not a six-story building as reported), as defined by the city of Boston zoning bylaws. This was not an error on the part of your reporter, but the result of an incorrect project comparison sheet provided at the first of two public hearings held on April 20.

In addition, the unit mix indicated was incorrect. Our building is very focused on drawing families to Brighton and our unit mix, with everything from 2-bedrooms with den and 3-bedroom townhomes, reflects this objective.

By way of comparison, it would have been helpful to note several other points of differentiation between our project and those of our competitors. Included among these is the fact that our proposal has the highest percentage of market-rate homeownership units (67 percent), it relies, by far, on the least amount of public subsidies in order to become a reality and, in the process, leaves much of the remaining public subsidy money available for other worthy city of Boston projects. In addition, our proposal will yield more than 60 percent more revenue than our nearest competitor in annual city property taxes.

Finally, but by no means of lesser importance, we are the only development team that is proposing a series of specific, significant community benefits. These include the following: $50,000 to address the deplorable condition of the Commonwealth Avenue gradient across from the site; $25,000 to jumpstart the revitalization of nearby Ringer Park; $25,000 to enhance the computer lab at the Commonwealth public housing development; a construction and management apprenticeship program for residents of the Commonwealth public housing development; and a transfer tax on the resale of units at Charing Cross that will yield approximately $500,000 in additional revenue over a 30-year cycle (approximately $15,000 per year in perpetuity). This money can be used to both sustain the aforementioned community benefits and to fund new community benefits.

We believe that we have proven our commitment to the revitalization of Brighton with the development of The Waterworks at Chestnut Hill and with our many other projects in the area. If your readers believe that our proposal is worthy of support, we urge them to e-mail letters of support to DND?s project representative, John Feuerbach (jfeuerbach.dnd@cityofboston.gov), to the Boston Redevelopment Authority (Lance Campbell at lance.cambell.BRA@cityofboston.gov), and to their elected representatives.

Submitted for the Brighton Partnership for Community Reinvestment LLC.

I'm actually interested in a condo across the way from this place and think anything would be a huge improvement to what is there now. As for the "dumpy" neighborhood comments, I'm a little worried now. It's not the Back Bay or Harvard Square but it seems ok whenever I'm there. I'm genuinely curious as to what exactly makes this area so undesirable because I'm not interested in throwing my money into a dump!

If you have any suggestions for where in Boston I can buy some affordable real estate along a transit route in a tidy area then I'm all ears! I live in Central Square now so I can deal with some occasion trash and vomit.

It's mainly the fact that that stretch of Commonwealth Ave is looking pretty tired, and trash tends to accumulate along the embankments where there are hills. There have been proposals to reconstruct and green that stretch of roadway, but the funding keeps getting pulled for various reasons. Overall, it's not a bad area at all, it's just not as nice as other areas that have had a bit more TLC from the city.

I'm actually interested in a condo across the way from this place and think anything would be a huge improvement to what is there now. As for the "dumpy" neighborhood comments, I'm a little worried now. It's not the Back Bay or Harvard Square but it seems ok whenever I'm there. I'm genuinely curious as to what exactly makes this area so undesirable because I'm not interested in throwing my money into a dump!

If I were in a position to purchase a condo there, I would be careful, but I wouldn't by any means all rule it out.

It's just a neglected patch of the city between two epicenters of college student apartments. Really where BU's and BC's influence are both at their weakest along Comm Ave. Rather than being a fratty village it's a place where you can find lot of professionals, families, blue collar workers, etc. It's a healthy mix of residents, but is a place where a annoying drunks are liable to pass through late at night. Then again, you're going to find that almost anywhere in Boston.

Now if you were looking at those condos recently built by Griggs St. / Long Ave. then I would tell you to run the other way. $500,000-ish for a wood-frame condo (hello upstair neighbors!) in bar/undergrad central?* You've got to be kidding me.

* Full disclosure: I'm technically an undergrad, but as an "adult student" (read: a couple of years older than a lot of grad students I know) it doesn't count. ;)

Having lived a bit further out on the B Line up until last September, I can say "not really" with a fair degree of certainty.

It's not quite as bad as Harvard Ave. or the Cleveland Circle-ish area, but it's not that good, either.

I found the general vicinity to be pretty dumpy.

I live just down Comm ave (1700s) and I agree - the stretch of Commonwealth from Washington St. to ~Sutherland Road is in need of some overhaul. I suppose that being somewhat isolated from Comm Ave due to the elevation difference makes that area less desirable. It would be nice to make some walking paths out of the side road up there and make it a garden/observation type area (granted all you willl be overlooking is puke and beer cans)

From this past Saturday

img3500tg9.jpg

img3501ea9.jpg

BEHOLD THE BEAUTY!

img3502pv4.jpg

img3503wv2.jpg

Are you sure that's it? I thought it was the next property over.

That looks like too new a building to be tearing down already.

Rats. I was looking forward to something nicer than that current thing occupying that corner. I'll probably go down there later today to get some pics of the correct site.

Yeah the building in question is to the left of that one. You can see it in the last photo, to the right of the tower-like building.

1930s design gets thumbs-up as city-owned housing project

May 11, 2008
Andreae Downs

A condominium project designed with a 1930s feel was the first pick of the Brighton Allston Improvement Association board for a highly visible, city-owned site. Three other proposals with fewer total condos, but more subsidized units for lower-income buyers, are still on the table as the city's Department of Neighborhood Development prepares a recommendation for 1501 Commonwealth Ave.
more stories like this

"We felt this was the better proposal," said Lorraine Bossi, a member of the association's board. The $18 million proposal that the board endorsed would offer 57 one-, two-, or three-bedroom condos spread out over four stories, and two stories of parking, said developer Merrill Diamond. Currently, a three-story former nursing home, now vacant, occupies the spot near the Brighton Marine Health Center and a wooded city park.

The runner-up preference at the association's meeting on May 1 was from the Allston-Brighton Community Development Corporation, which has built or rehabilitated more than 500 units of housing in the neighborhood.

Diamond, who noted his role in building housing in the former Waterworks buildings near the Chestnut Hill Reservoir, expressed his preference for designs other than what he called "squat, flat boxes" built on Comm. Ave. since the 1930s. He and several nearby residents said that the neighborhood has more than enough affordable units and needs more of the market-rate variety.

"Allston-Brighton has a lot of affordable housing," said mechanic Harry Nesdekidis. "It's bringing down our quality of life, while the taxes we pay are going up."

But Charlie Vasiliades, a development corporation board member, disagreed, saying that with Allston-Brighton at 13 percent, only West Roxbury, Hyde Park, and Back Bay have smaller percentages of affordable rental units.

The developers now await analysis from the Department of Neighborhood Development, which will accept community input for another week or two, according to spokeswoman Kerry O'Brien. In about a month, the department will send its recommendation to the Public Facilities Commission, which will tentatively designate a developer. Depending on the timing of the financing, shovels could be in the ground by next year, O'Brien said.

Comments may be sent to the Boston Department of Neighborhood Development at 26 Court St., Boston 02108.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar...gets_thumbs_up_as_city_owned_housing_project/

I think this is the building in question - across from a friends apartment, so I should be able to watch this go up...

(to which I say... good riddance)

Condo plan closer to reality as city works with developers

August 24, 2008
By Richard Thompson

Plans for a six-story building with 57 new units of mixed-income housing on Commonwealth Avenue took another step toward becoming reality late last month, when city officials initiated a yearlong period for working with the developer to finalize its design and financial aspects of the project.

The $18 million proposal is for one-, two-, and three-bedroom condos, including 19 affordable units, on four floors, with two underground floors for parking, according to a statement from the Department of Neighborhood Development, which recommended the project to the Public Facilities Commission.

The proposal is led by the Brighton Partnership for Community Reinvestment, a joint venture of Diamond/Sinacori Real Estate Development and Hart Development Associates.

A vacant three-story building now occupies the spot near Brighton Marine Health Center and a wooded city park. The site, at 1501 Commonwealth Ave., was favored in May by the Brighton Allston Improvement Association board over three other proposals, which had fewer total condos but more subsidized units for low-income buyers.

Once home to the Provident Skilled Nursing Center, the property was acquired by the city through foreclosure in 2005. The proposal, which was unveiled to Allston-Brighton residents earlier this year, drew mixed reactions from some neighbors who had differing opinions about whether the plan included enough affordable housing.

If the proposal clears the designation process, the Public Facilities Commission could vote to convey the property to the developer within the year, at which point the Department of Neighborhood Development could move to close the sale of the property, clearing the way for the developer to begin construction.

Link

Merrill Diamond bets on Brighton

High-end condos planned

By Scott Van Voorhis
Friday, September 5, 2008 - Updated 11h ago

Local developer Merrill Diamond is known for his contrarian market bets, having, for example, transformed a drafty old Dedham jail into luxury condos.

Now Diamond is rolling the dice on what may be his biggest gamble yet: a market-rate condo project in the heart of Brighton?s student ghetto.

Diamond recently won a City Hall competition to redevelop a dilapidated nursing home at 1501 Commonwealth Ave.

He did it with a bold, $18 million plan that involves knocking down the rundown structure and building an upscale condo complex with a retro, pre-World War II look. And in a section of Brighton dominated by student rentals and low-income elderly housing, Diamond and project partner Hart Development are looking to sell some of the project?s units for nearly $600,000, with most averaging about $400,000.

Now, as he begins a year-long city review process before construction begins, Diamond is bullish on the prospects for his new project, despite a down market and its frontier location.

In fact, there are benefits to being a pioneer, Diamond contends.

?What is in our favor is that we don?t have any competition at all,? he said.

For Diamond, lining up neighborhood support was key in beating out the competition, including competing proposals by a pair of nonprofit organizations.

While developers often face criticism by neighborhood activists for not having enough affordable units, Diamond?s porposal won the backing of community groups interested in bringing more homeowners to this part of Brighton.

?I am in favor of economic and demographic diversity,? said Eva Webster, a member of the Aberdeen-Brighton Residents Association and a vocal project supporter. ?That is what makes for a healthy neighborhood.?

LINK

It's basically the same one that was posted back on Page 1, but here is the only one that I could find (it accompanied the Herald story):

2df8674271_CROSS_09052008.jpg

So not only the building style will be pre-WWII, but the cars will be as well?

action on site today.
anyone know if this project is still going to happen?

3406574527_66b54176ef.jpg

3406574785_6a462e673c.jpg

Just looked at the rendering again. I have a feeling this is going to be one big lemon.

Back