Legacy Place | Dedham

Some of the stores are now open.

These pictures are only 2/3's of the area. The road to the theater was blocked off and they wouldn't let me walk down there.

3801650880_e85e25ee0f.jpg

3800833827_ccba8a4275.jpg

3801658120_3fea61d05b.jpg

3801659466_b2cec15efd.jpg

3801659916_d586c187f4.jpg

3800839947_3631a1716e.jpg

3800840359_56244c1850.jpg

3800840553_c2ae0f664c.jpg

3801661064_6428db7d80.jpg

So....how bout that Five Guys on Rt 1? The East Coast's answer to In-N-Out? I vote nay.

I don't think this location had any chance of becoming anything but a mall. Right at the corner of 128/rt.1 with no pedestrian friendly street really remotely close. It is right next to a commuter rail stop, but i believe there is a fence blocking it off from direct access.

All things considered, i think it turned out nice and certainly better than what was there before. Plus, it is almost 100% leased, so it could have been much worse.

This looks considerably less pleasant to walk around than Wayside Commons in Burlington, where our other LL Bean location is.

I agree. From the renderings the impression I got was that it would be pedestrian 'roads' lined with stores/greenery..parking would only be in that garage. The asphalt plateau in the center makes it just another, as you have already said, "glorified mall".
I have no desire to visit this place as is...and it's just down the road.

Maybe the PLAZA hasn't been opened yet...That's the area on their website that shows the pedestrian plaza..

Maybe the PLAZA hasn't been opened yet...That's the area on their website that shows the pedestrian plaza..

Yeah, like i said this was only 2/3's of it. They had blocked the roads leading towards the new theater. Judging from what i saw when i drove by the roads, that is in fact the plaza area.

The Showcase Cinema de Lux opens this Friday, August 28. They are advertising on the front page of Boston.com, linking to this page.

These are some of the newest strip malls in Massachusetts:

Derby Street Shoppes
Patriot Place
Legacy Place
Wayside Commons

They are all automobile-based strip malls that masquerade as pedestrian-friendly lifestyle centers.

But I'm not saying that's bad.

Wayside is at least reachable by public transit (bus #350 from Alewife, on the way to Burlington Mall). How about the others?

The Hingham Shipyard is in the process of opening up. It has a movie theater and Bed, Bath, & beyond open now. There are apartments on the far end, with more housing and condos to come (they are pushed back do to the economy.) Most of the retail and restaurant space is taken, and in the process of going in this fall. It is much more pedestrian friendly, not to mention it is right where the Hingham commuter boat goes to Rowes Wharf, so TOD.

It is being done by the same people that did trilogy and 1330, and are planning on the whole Fenway area, Samuels & Associates. They do good work.

The Hingham Shipyard is a cardboard cutout of Newburyport. It makes Marina Bay look like Vatican City.

Wayside is at least reachable by public transit (bus #350 from Alewife, on the way to Burlington Mall). How about the others?

There is a commuter rail stop right next to it, but there is a fence blocking direct access.

So....how bout that Five Guys on Rt 1? The East Coast's answer to In-N-Out? I vote nay.

There's one in Vinnin Square, Swampscott too. And one in Fountain Plaza, Ballwin, Missouri. They started in Virginia. They're nothing special, but the fries are above average and who doesn't love free peanuts? Never been to In-N-Out, so I can't say how it matches up to that, but it's not really any better than other burger joints I've been too.

Five Guys may be the best fast food I've had, but it's still fast food.

These are some of the newest strip malls in Massachusetts:

Derby Street Shoppes
Patriot Place
Legacy Place
Wayside Commons

They are all automobile-based strip malls that masquerade as pedestrian-friendly lifestyle centers.

But I'm not saying that's bad.

Yecccch! I like downtowns.

An Apple Store will open at Legacy Place this Saturday at 10 am.

Back