Leggat McCall | BHA Bunker Hill | Charlestown

New website

Updates announced at Nov. 20 Meeting:
  • First building constructed revised to be mixed-income
  • Expanded first phase to minimize off-site relocations for existing BHA residents
  • Find the November presentation here.
December 2, 2019:
  • On site studies begin
February 2020:
  • Target Article 80/MEPA submission
Early 2020:
  • Article 80/MEPA public process begins
  • Community workshops/charrettes

So in the middle of a housing crisis, Marty Walsh's administration caved to neighborhood pressure and removed 500 units from a public housing replacement project?

What a treat.

So in the middle of a housing crisis, Marty Walsh's administration caved to neighborhood pressure and removed 500 units from a public housing replacement project?

What a treat.
Well 22 stories blocked the view of the lovely Tobin Bridge.

Marty is weak and not a good Mayor. Hopefully residents are starting to figure this out by now

I wonder what percentage of the cost of projects like this is to fund "studies"?

Last edited:
I wonder what percentage of the cost of projects like this is to fun "studies"?

I'm sure the developer would rather just build it. They don't want to study it over and over - they make nothing on it.

What a treat.

Well they are adding a 1000 units of housing over existing density with some mixed use. Seems like a good project after reading through the material.

DPIR:

I'm a sucker for this stuff:

To pay homage to the Project’s historical context, the open space network design includes a proposed “battle loop” trail segment in anticipation of a potential future connection to an interpretive battle trail throughout Charlestown. The trail will convey pedestrians through a series of interpretive elements, such as decorative site walls that reference the defensive walls erected during the Battle of Bunker Hill. The Site will also use earthwork and ground plane patterning to reference the historical shaping of the land, including the glacial forces that created the drumlins that comprise Charlestown, and the land-making processes that expanded the Charlestown land mass into the sea. An interpretive feature will mark the historic edge of the land mass, near the project’s north edge.

1582226783800.png

Does anyone appreciate the scale of this project ? There’s no tall buildings involved but this thing is 2,700 units ! I personally think this is a positive development for the city and neighborhood but I’m sure some do not feel that same way.

I love it but there should be some form of Transportation (Street Car in the future maybe?) out that way. Its a bit far from the Orange Line and 2,700 units could mean ~5,000-8,000 more people, so that will strain the current resources. I hope Bunker Hill is thinking about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reduced height near the Tobin (really?? as if view, sound or shadow is really a problem there...) and lopping off 500 units is disappointing.

But it's better than nothing. Glad it's moving forward. The proposed facades are reasonably scaled too.

Any landscape/planning buffs that can comment on the new open space designs/locations? Seems to me the PNF version was much more cohesive. This new iteration seems to create a few awkward/open/poorly defined spaces..

I love it but there should be some form of Transportation (Street Car in the future maybe?) out that way. Its a bit far from the Orange Line and 2,700 units could mean ~5,000-8,000 more people, so that will strain the current resources. I hope Bunker Hill is thinking about this.
On my fantasy maps of new northside transit, I always put a stop right at the SW corner of this project (Bunker Hill St @ Polk St)

Barring that, the other transit option out there is the circumferential freight rail line that serves the Autoport

Theoretically a Green Line branch could snake out of North Station (using the ready-made track leads that go down as Sci Park goes up) through the gobblydigook of ramps and tunnels leading to Tobin and follow Chelsea St to the end of Charlestown. But practically, stronger bus service and infrastructure between Charlestown and Haymarket will give the Navy Yard and Bunker Hill area all the service it needs.

On my fantasy maps of new northside transit, I always put a stop right at the SW corner of this project (Bunker Hill St @ Polk St)

Barring that, the other transit option out there is the circumferential freight rail line that serves the Autoport

I really don't see why the MBTA doesn't hire you. You in all honesty have the most practical and realistic visions for the MBTA. You and F-Line...

It is only 1000 more units. 2000 or so more people. It is replacing a pretty dense housing complex. Still will need some increase in T service.

It's 1600 more units. There are approx 1100 currently. That doesn't change your point though, just clarifying.

I can’t find it online but I thought they were targeting more bus service on bunker hill St and adding a Medford st route.

Back