Lego HQ Moving to Boston

Lrfox

Reaction score
No, they said they are looking for space in “central Boston.”
I'd also assume that means "downtown," but could it be that they just mean "not Cambridge, Somerville, or the 'burbs?" If Vegas was taking bets, my money is easily on the Seaport. But I could also see South Station Tower, Fenway Center, or even Boston Landing.

DBM

Reaction score
I'd also assume that means "downtown," but could it be that they just mean "not Cambridge, Somerville, or the 'burbs?" If Vegas was taking bets, my money is easily on the Seaport. But I could also see South Station Tower, Fenway Center, or even Boston Landing.
The rough midpoint between Lego in Assembly Square and Lego at 501 Boylston St. (which doesn't appear like it's slated for consolidation into the new offices) would be somewhere on the Orange Line between North Station/Chinatown... which of course leads to the logical, modest proposal: perhaps the Lego engineers can develop a fix for the OL's woes when they arrive here, using nothing but preexisting Lego pieces available on the mass market.

jklo

Reaction score
Cambridge fits. Logically, since they are already there, staying in the Back Bay would be what you would think. But.... I'll say Cambridge Crossing.

Justbuildit

Reaction score
SST is a great bet. Haven’t heard of any other commercial tenants

bigpicture7

Reaction score
Cambridge fits. Logically, since they are already there, staying in the Back Bay would be what you would think. But.... I'll say Cambridge Crossing.
Yeah, I know they said Boston, but CX just seems quite convenient (especially with the new ped connections to Gilmore Bridge, getting to Orange Line and over to assembly is fairly trivial).

An interesting dark horse candidate is actually the 40 Thorndike tower (former Middlesex county courthouse/jail) in east cambridge near Lechmere. That, to my knowledge, doesn't have a tenant announced and is relatively well located (if we assume non- Boston proper is in play). It is also not configured for life sciences.

Equilibria

Reaction score
Folks, I know I started this, but while speculating is fun the real answer will be boring. They'll just pick up Wayfair's sublease in 500 Boylston or something.

bigpicture7

Reaction score
Folks, I know I started this, but while speculating is fun the real answer will be boring. They'll just pick up Wayfair's sublease in 500 Boylston or something.
I dunno Equilibria, there's something about aB that sparks imaginative speculation pretty much no matter what. Your attempt at a reality-grounded Debbie Downer post instead just served to shift my inspiration to the opposite direction - to dreaming up the most boring possible outcome:
They'll rent 250 sq-ft at a WeWork, equipped solely with an android receptionist from Boston Dynamics and 25 Zoom pods and call it a day.