Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

yep all the male prostitutes used to hang here!

This thread needs a new title.

Liberty Mutual touts job boost from Boston HQ project
By Thomas Grillo
Monday, October 18, 2010 - Updated 36 minutes ago

Construction of Liberty Mutual?s $300 million Back Bay headquarters Bay broke ground today, as officials and union workers celebrated the prospect of more than 1,000 jobs.

?The economy is all about jobs, so it gives us great pleasure that hundreds of highly skilled workers in trades will be back to work building a great building,? said Ted Kelly, Liberty Mutual?s CEO.

?As we dig our shovels in today, we deepen our roots in this our home city, we commemorate a spirit of cooperation with our city, state and neighborhood - a spirit that has strengthened our resolve to build, grow and expand in Boston,? he said.

In August, the Boston Redevelopment Authority approved construction of the 22-story office building to be built at 157 Berkeley St. as part of Liberty Mutual?s expansion of its Boston headquarters.

Last year, the Hub?s lone Fortune 100 company purchased the former Salvation Army offices on Berkeley Street and the nearby Benjamin Franklin Smith printing plant on Columbus Avenue for $23.5 million.

The company plans to demolish the buildings and replace them with a 25-story, 580,000-square-foot office tower. The project is expected to be completed in late 2012.

?This is what we are about,? said Gov. Deval Patrick. ?This is how we grow our way out of an economic hole, not by standing by and just hoping that good times come, but by making the kind of investments, making the kind of choices that we know creates a better, stronger commonwealth.?

A smiling Mayor Thomas M. Menino praised the cooperation between the state and the city?s BRA that will clear the way for more than 500 construction jobs and as many as 600 permanent jobs over the next few years.

?Jobs are the greatest equalizer in our society,? he said.

Last month, Liberty Mutual Group Inc. put off its planned $1.4 billion initial public offering for a portion of one of its largest units, citing a stalled economy.

?We pulled it back and we?re going to assess the market,? Kelly told the Herald following the ceremony. ?We are in the fortunate position on not needing the capital. It was more to provide flexibility and give us a little extra money to take opportunities for things down the road. But we are obviously going to step back and if it becomes a good time to do it again we probably will.?

Link

Wow, that was the quickest BRA process I have ever seen. Somebody should just call Chiofaro and tell him to write checks to our political hacks. Maybe they would give him a 60 Million dollar tax break.

This was basically a UNION gift from DEVAL and the MAYOR. Thanks for giving billionaires more of our hardearned tax money. (like they need it)

Shouldn't projects move through the approval process efficiently? BU's East Campus Center was approved in a quick, efficient process as well. I fail to see the problem.

^ The problem: many worthy projects are held up forever due to the same process.

Politics? Corruption? Faulty aesthetic theories?

^ The problem: many worthy projects are held up forever due to the same process.

Politics? Corruption? Faulty aesthetic theories? Vendettas?

^Politics, and funding.

Shouldn't projects move through the approval process efficiently? BU's East Campus Center was approved in a quick, efficient process as well. I fail to see the problem.

I have no problem at all with this type of process. I do have a problem with 60million dollar tax breaks to certain companies and not others. That is playing favortism to certain companies and individuals. Plus it's a fucking insurance company.

I have no problem at all with this type of process. I do have a problem with 60million dollar tax breaks to certain companies and not others. That is playing favortism to certain companies and individuals. Plus it's a fucking fortune 100 insurance company.

fixed.

Wow, that was the quickest BRA process I have ever seen. Somebody should just call Chiofaro and tell him to write checks to our political hacks. Maybe they would give him a 60 Million dollar tax break.

He did offer $50 Million to the city... maybe not to the correct hacks. He offers 50 mil, the city and state give LM 60 mil. That's a $110 million dollar shift in the wrong direction for one of the strongest companies not just in our state but also in the country. I like progress, new jobs, and new buildings just fine, but that's a little recockulous.

At least I should be able to watch it decently over the next 14 months or so as I finish up another project over that way..... Once things get rolling I'll try to remember to document it.

Well, yay. Now we have a sizeable project to watch rise.

Politics? Corruption? Faulty aesthetic theories?

Perhaps. But we might not be privy to all that happens within the BRA process. After several years and still holding a fair amount of suspicion for Ned Flaherty's motivations, don't most of us nevertheless agree that Columbus Center failed because it was poorly managed as a project? Some of these other projects that face delay or failure might likewise be the result of bad management. I'm sure your suggestions are probably likely, too, but I don't think we can say that's always the case. Maybe Liberty Mutual and BU just have their shit together a bit more than Chioforo or Winn.

This was basically a UNION gift from DEVAL and the MAYOR. Thanks for giving billionaires more of our hardearned tax money. (like they need it)

Who's the billionaire? The Union? The CEO of LM?

Who's the billionaire? The Union? The CEO of LM?

Might be a slight exaggeration of a Billionaire, but Kelly has to be worth millions if not hundreds of millions of dollars?

Liberty Mutual is a private Insurance company.

Sorry, just frustrated seeing all these banks, powerful corporations getting taxpayers handout and the Federal Reserve continues to destroy the buying power of the dollar against the hardworking middle class and savers of this great country. Then we have to watch Liberty mutual get a 60 Million dollar tax break to expand in the backbay in which real estate is priceless in that area.

This country is fucked.

Quote from our current and future governor about the new building:

"What's not to like?"

What's not to like?? A $50 property tax giveaway, you stupid moron.

Liberty Mutual Group?s $300 million expansion of its home office in Boston will create 500 construction jobs, 600 full-time positions and generate $82 million in property taxes over the next 20 years for the city of Boston, government officials indicated Monday morning.

Gov. Deval Patrick, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and U.S. Rep. Michael Capuano hailed the announcement as a win for taxpayers and the building trades.

Liberty Mutual plans to construct a 580,000 square foot, 22-story tower on Columbus Avenue, near the Arlington Street stop on the Green Line.

?So what?s not to like,? Patrick said at a groundbreaking ceremony for the project, which he called ?a symbol of our recovery.? Capuano said the project would be a boon to organized labor, which he said ?represents the middle class.?

Liberty Mutual CEO Edmund Kelly followed Capuano, saying, ?We are in the middle class business.?

When Menino said he looked forward to collecting the new property taxes on the building ? set to open in 2012 ? Kelly, seated behind Menino on his left, smiled and gave a thumbs-down signal. Menino, alerted to the gesture by laughter in the audience, looked at Kelly and joked, ?We could cut that deal right here, pal.?

Oh, we laugh because it's funny!

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n....html?ed=2010-10-18&s=article_du&ana=e_du_pub

There is no way that building is going to look like the renderings from the Berkeley/Columbus corner. Everyone's saying this building looks like a flatiron building. There is no way that can happen at that corner. Just look at the pictures AlbertMW and Briv posted. The only way that block could have anything like a flatiron building is if it were built on the other side of the block on the park square corner. CBT are total CONartists.

Ah, no offense to albert or briv, but cellphone pics don't tell the story of that corner. Looking at a map (or taking a walk!) more clearly shows the point of the intersection.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...089,-71.071726&spn=0.002046,0.003449&t=h&z=18

if it looks like the renderings its going to be one of the most beautiful buildings in boston even thought its small.

Ah, no offense to albert or briv, but cellphone pics don't tell the story of that corner. Looking at a map (or taking a walk!) more clearly shows the point of the intersection.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...089,-71.071726&spn=0.002046,0.003449&t=h&z=18

Yeah, but compare that corner to the corner that features the Flatiron in New York or Atlanta.
The angle of the Berkeley/Columbus corner is twice as wide as Atlanta or New York.

This is no Flatiron building. That said, it may still be very attractive if the materials are quality.

Back