Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

Yeah, I had no idea there were so many buildings referred to as "The Flatiron Building."

thIs being the FATIRON buiding

An email from Jay Rourke, BRA:

On Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010, at 6:30pm the Boston Redevelopment Authority will conduct a community meeting, The Park Plaza Hotel, 50 Park Plaza at Arlington Street, Boston, to discuss the 157 Berkeley Street proposal. This community meeting is being held in compliance with Article 80 of the Boston Zoning Code to present to the community the Liberty Mutual Group (the "Proponent") proposal to construct a 22-story, 590,000+/- square foot office building with approximately 205 below-grade parking spaces at the corner of Berkeley Street and Columbus Avenue on sites owned by the Proponent, and a 25,000+/- square-foot office and conference center facility on a surface parking lot owned by the Proponent on Stuart Street. The Proponent is also proposing to preserve and restore the building located at 330 Stuart Street as part of the project. This community meeting is also being held as part of an Article 85 Demolition Delay application to demolish the buildings at 187 Columbus Avenue and 147 Columbus Avenue. The purpose of this meeting is to inform the community about the proposed demolition and to present alternatives to the demolition. All interested parties are welcome to attend, and will have the opportunity to comment and ask questions. This community meeting DOES NOT take the place of the Boston Landmarks Commission public hearing. All interested parties are encouraged to attend the BLC public hearing to express their views on the proposed demolition, or to submit written comments to the BLC if they are unable to attend. Please submit written comments by the hearing date to: Boston Landmarks Commission, Boston City Hall, Room 805, 1 City Hall Square, Boston, MA 02201, or fax to 617-635-3435, or email a PDF with signature to: gary.russell@cityofboston.gov
I hope you can attend,

Regards,
Jay

Someone go and ask for less parking

Unfortunately I missed that meeting. I take it that no one else made it either?

There's a new mock-up in the Salvation Army parking lot. I'll try to snap a photo to post, if no one beats me to it.

Seaport comes to the Back Bay:
libmu_mockup_3.jpg

libmu_mockup_4.jpg

Carbon copy of Trinity Place.

Yeah except Trinity was fake precast and this is real stone if I am reading it right.

I may have to check this out with my own two eyes at lunch...

Yeah except Trinity was fake precast and this is real stone if I am reading it right.

It didn't appear to be real stone to me. It looked cast.

Looks limestone to me. See the subtle striations. I checked, and according the CBT in the PNF, the opaque material is 100% limestone, with a 40% fenstrations (window) ratio.

Page 275 of the below document.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...rkeley Street/PNF/157 Berkeley Street_PNF.pdf

Also, to get a sense of dimensions, check out page 45 for floor plans, and a wide range of renderings a few pages later.

The file is 19Mg so beware.

Limestone made to look like precast made to look like limestone.

Thanks for the link to the PNF, atlrvr.

Regardless of what this thing will be clad with, I think this is a terrible proposal:

175_berkleley_pnf_site.jpg

175_berkleley_pnf_4.jpg

175_berkleley_pnf_1.jpg

Note the sterile, impervious corner of Berkeley and Columbus
175_berkleley_pnf_5.jpg

Fatiron Building indeed
175_berkleley_pnf_3.jpg

A two-story building will be constructed on their existing surface lot on Stuart St and linked to 175 Berkeley by gerbil tube
175_berkleley_pnf_2.jpg

Stuart St two-story building
175_berkleley_pnf_6.jpg

Gerbil tube over Stuart
175_berkleley_pnf_7.jpg

A two story retail tenant along with some restaurants along the base would make this proposal less of a dog. The overwhelming banality of this project hurts. There is so much potential here (if this was the schematic design prior to some thoughtful elaboration) and yet the next step to realize it isn't taken.

Well.... better than a parking lot.

Haha...gerbil tube to a two story building; are the architects just mocking their clients now?

Maybe if this building formed a street wall of at least that height....

FWIW, the two story addition (and thus the gerbil tube) are going to be completely integrated into the existing building on that side of the street. I think this pedestrian bridge is worth living with, if for no other reason than that it cutting it would have to be a deal breaker for Liberty.

This isn't like the skywalk on Huntington, pulling retail shoppers off the street; the people using this bridge are going to be at work - going to meetings, etc. Theres no reason Liberty should need to ask them to put on a coat and endure the elements, or wait for a walk signal at an intersection. We're talking potentially thousands of foot traffic trips / day here, especially because the cafeteria for the whole company will be relocated to the new building. Putting all those trips on the street would jam up traffic pretty significantly.

And TRUST me, when Liberty Mutual people want to go out for a coffee or a mid-day errand, they wont hesitate to hit the streets.

Back