Logan Airport Capital Projects

What are the openings in the wall on the road side for?

If I had to guess, they need emergency exits that don't go out to the apron. There will probably be stairs down from that door.

If I had to guess, they need emergency exits that don't go out to the apron. There will probably be stairs down from that door.

Seems rather unlikely to me? That would be both ugly and disrupt the design. Emergency exits seem like they would almost certainly be built inside the building with ground-level doors out.

I imagine it's just being kept open for the moment as temporary loading dock in the sky for delivering materials/interior elements into the structure.

^^My guess is air flow for construction crews until HVAC is fully installed/operational. With all that glass and this summer heat, it would get pretty hot in that terminal.

IIRC there was going to be another parking garage out there somewhere? Perhaps that is the site?

I believe that was kicked to the next round of funding, along with the second phase of the E expansion.

I’m hoping for some glass bridges instead of these metal tubes!

So common in the rest of the world and so rare here. I know regulations recently changed where they were disallowed but I’d like to see them on new work!

I know the glass jetbridges are rare here, but I wasn't aware of any laws prohibiting them. I had to actually search for this and was surprised that there was a ban, but it was changed in either 2014 or 2015. I think it's just the airports are going with the cheaper ones because 1) glass is more expensive, and 2) the glass used for them isn't exactly the thin glass in our houses. That also weighs much more than say the typical metal container type jetbridge. However, yes, I would agree that any new retrofits or new construction would be awesome with the glass jetbridges.
I was reading more on this and it seems that several airports in the USA have switched including ICT, SBA, Ft Hood TX, and a few others. So yeah, I can see this actually happening, but it does seem that Massport has the default attitude of being tone-deaf regarding things like this.

I know the glass jetbridges are rare here, but I wasn't aware of any laws prohibiting them. I had to actually search for this and was surprised that there was a ban, but it was changed in either 2014 or 2015. I think it's just the airports are going with the cheaper ones because 1) glass is more expensive, and 2) the glass used for them isn't exactly the thin glass in our houses. That also weighs much more than say the typical metal container type jetbridge. However, yes, I would agree that any new retrofits or new construction would be awesome with the glass jetbridges.
I was reading more on this and it seems that several airports in the USA have switched including ICT, SBA, Ft Hood TX, and a few others. So yeah, I can see this actually happening, but it does seem that Massport has the default attitude of being tone-deaf regarding things like this.
Glass jet bridges would look so good with the look of the expansion.

Not going to lie, while glass jet bridges look good, they can also be deeply unpleasant experiences in hot and sunny climates. Not that Boston is a particularly extreme climate, but I've been in enough which felt like solar cookers.

That said, with the proper environmental controls, I do think they make for a substantially "nicer" and more modern feeling experience. However, based purely on the renders on the massport website, I think we're destined for metal ones for both Terminal E and the B to C connector.

Does jet bridges mean dual jet bridges? I say this because I recently saw that at the new gates they removed holes for a second jet bridge

Did you see this in person? I ask because the plans Massport released showed the 4 gates having dual jet bridges.

Did you see this in person? I ask because the plans Massport released showed the 4 gates having dual jet bridges.
Yes I did. It’s even visible on google earth. When I was there E13 and E14 had one hole. The other 2 gates still had 2 holes each. It could be they got rid of dual jetways during the pandemic.

from google earth

Attachments

• 8B234087-4032-404E-BA47-0A4A41183DF7.png
    8B234087-4032-404E-BA47-0A4A41183DF7.png
    12 MB · Views: 108
  • 6DF5C47E-FEF8-48B0-8312-A3A4E245AD65.png
    6DF5C47E-FEF8-48B0-8312-A3A4E245AD65.png
    11.9 MB · Views: 101
Those Google Earth images were taken in the winter. Google Earth should give you the image date.

Also, one has to be careful using Google Earth in 3-D mode particularly when the satellite does not have a clear image of the side of a building, and the algorithm used by Google then 'guesses' what that side looks like. I found this to be the case particularly on north facades, in the Northern Hemisphere. I have seen terraces and balconies in Google Earth that appear not to exist on Streetview. Some of this may be due to sun angle, and images grabs of north facades are dark and thus, lower resolution. (There would be no Streetview of airport terminal gates that Google could use.)

Last edited:
Those Google Earth images were taken in the winter. Google Earth should give you the image date.

Also, one has to be careful using Google Earth in 3-D mode particularly when the satellite does not have a clear image of the side of a building, and the algorithm used by Google then 'guesses' what that side looks like. I found this to be the case particularly on north facades, in the Northern Hemisphere. I have seen terraces and balconies in Google Earth that appear not to exist on Streetview. Some of this may be due to sun angle, and images grabs of north facades are dark and thus, lower resolution. (There would be no Streetview of airport terminal gates that Google could use.)
But I also saw it in person. Also someone posted a real image a couple of pages back that show only one cut out.

The expansion isn't scheduled to open until mid 2023. To eliminate two jet bridges from a pair of gates would be a major design change, and almost certainly would have been discussed at a monthly meeting of Massport's Board.
https://www.massport.com/massport/about-massport/board-meetings/

I expect the two jet bridges per gate for the four new gates in expanded E will be there when it opens. I also expect the three gates in existing E that have two jet bridges will lose on of the two jet bridges during the $50 million Federally funded renovation of existing E. Logan does not need seven gates capable of handling A-380s. Even four is probably a gate too many.

All 251 A-380s are now delivered, with 123 going to Emirates. Unless Emirates decides to fly two A-380s daily to Boston, future appearances of the A-380 are likely to be no more than one a day from British Airways, Lufthansa, and Emirates.

The expansion isn't scheduled to open until mid 2023. To eliminate two jet bridges from a pair of gates would be a major design change, and almost certainly would have been discussed at a monthly meeting of Massport's Board.
https://www.massport.com/massport/about-massport/board-meetings/

I expect the two jet bridges per gate for the four new gates in expanded E will be there when it opens. I also expect the three gates in existing E that have two jet bridges will lose on of the two jet bridges during the $50 million Federally funded renovation of existing E. Logan does not need seven gates capable of handling A-380s. Even four is probably a gate too many.

All 251 A-380s are now delivered, with 123 going to Emirates. Unless Emirates decides to fly two A-380s daily to Boston, future appearances of the A-380 are likely to be no more than one a day from British Airways, Lufthansa, and Emirates.
How is there 4 A380 gates? And the dual jetways are for single level wide bodies. And the upper level jet ways can’t be lowered to the lower deck.

Some pics of the Terminal E expansion from late last month. Been a while since I was in the Bean, so the vibrant red really caught me off guard (in a pleasant way), even though I had seen it shared on this thread plenty of times. Good call by MassPort. Just wished that the private sector was as bold in their color pallet and design choices...
20220609_181859.jpg

20220609_181910.jpg

20220609_181912.jpg

20220612_085232.jpg

20220612_085324.jpg

20220612_094925.jpg

20220612_094937.jpg

Back