Logan Airport Capital Projects

Map of E has been updated to reflect the new gates. Some on airliners.net have been speculating that the gates open today.

1692107415358.png

Flightaware has Iberia arriving at E13 2 minutes before DL125, but that's not loaded on the Iberia site.

Map of E has been updated to reflect the new gates. Some on airliners.net have been speculating that the gates open today.

This update does not have the new, expanded security checkpoint. I wonder if they're going to open up E13-16 first and then the new security checkpoint once any final work is completed.

That duty free shop is taking up a lot of space.....in a prime area too. It will look a bit better once the Distillery and Legal Seafoods are done and the temp walls come down.

The Delta lounge looks great and will get a lot of use.

"A Massport spokesperson confirmed the opening and said, "We will be having a grand opening for media in early October."

It seems kind of odd that they would begin using the new gates and the new Delta Sky Club would open to such little fanfare. It also seems that the new security checkpoint is not completed yet.

Looks like some nice finishing but the photos make it look cramped. Looks like hardly any seating in the gate areas.

Without seeing it in person, I suspect it might seem that way because of the size of the overall space - seating in the gate areas is something that should be a pretty well-established part of the architectural program. There are clear standards for it, and I'd be surprised if it was lacking.

"A Massport spokesperson confirmed the opening and said, "We will be having a grand opening for media in early October."

It seems kind of odd that they would begin using the new gates and the new Delta Sky Club would open to such little fanfare. It also seems that the new security checkpoint is not completed yet.

It’s called a soft opening. The B-C connector did the same thing. With the tens of millions of passengers that pass through Logan Airport annually, a soft opening is an opportunity for new vendors, lounges, and employees to train and settle in as the number of visitors gradually escalates. New hotels, restaurants, and amusement parks (among others) do the same thing to ensure smoother operations once the grand opening event happens.

It’s called a soft opening. The B-C connector did the same thing. With the tens of millions of passengers that pass through Logan Airport annually, a soft opening is an opportunity for new vendors, lounges, and employees to train and settle in as the number of visitors gradually escalates. New hotels, restaurants, and amusement parks (among others) do the same thing to ensure smoother operations once the grand opening event happens.

Yes but... other major airport projects (LaGuardia, KC, etc.) have held grand openings and ribbon cuttings to great PR effect in recent years. I'm not saying Massport is choosing wrong here (particularly with the checkpoint still closed) - Delta probably wanted the club on the first day possible, they needed the gates (they've been parking planes there all through construction), etc., but the option was available to them to have a press walkthrough yesterday and they let PointsGuy break it instead.

The Delta lounge looks excellent, and I'm very happy to see the Delta international expansion at Terminal E. I wonder if there is any thought from Massport to provide a secure (Behind TSA Screening) Connection from Terminal A to Terminal E via a skybridge across Central parking or Airside Shuttle Service? I should know this, but I don't. Can you even get from Terminal A to Terminal E without passing outside through security and back in via Terminal A to B to C to E?

I've been on a number of international flights with domestic connections first, and the connections seem much better than at Logan. For instance, I took American from Boston down to Dallas, and then on to Auckland, NZ. Coming back was United from Brisbane, Australia to Los Angeles and then on to Boston. Los Angeles was a real mess where you did have to exit security and transfer to a different terminal for the domestic flight back to Boston. It seems like most International to Domestic connections overseas have you go through Customs, then another security checkpoint/scanning before you continue to a Domestic connection. Although that additional security checkpoint/scanning is different than if you arrived at that same terminal to take the domestic flight. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the additional checkpoint screening seems well-integrated into the International Arrival and connection process, rather than completely exiting the secure area and re-entering as if you just arrived at the airport. For someone arriving into Boston from a Delta International flight, they would first go through Customs, and they would exit Terminal E and take the Massport shuttle over to Terminal A and then go through check-in and security as if that was their first flight.

Maybe I'm overthinking this? Maybe Delta International flight to Logan don't drive domestic flight connections like some other airports?

View attachment 41717

Flightaware has Iberia arriving at E13 2 minutes before DL125, but that's not loaded on the Iberia site.
The Delta lounge looks excellent, and I'm very happy to see the Delta international expansion at Terminal E. I wonder if there is any thought from Massport to provide a secure (Behind TSA Screening) Connection from Terminal A to Terminal E via a skybridge across Central parking or Airside Shuttle Service? I should know this, but I don't. Can you even get from Terminal A to Terminal E without passing outside through security and back in via Terminal A to B to C to E?

I've been on a number of international flights with domestic connections first, and the connections seem much better than at Logan. For instance, I took American from Boston down to Dallas, and then on to Auckland, NZ. Coming back was United from Brisbane, Australia to Los Angeles and then on to Boston. Los Angeles was a real mess where you did have to exit security and transfer to a different terminal for the domestic flight back to Boston. It seems like most International to Domestic connections overseas have you go through Customs, then another security checkpoint/scanning before you continue to a Domestic connection. Although that additional security checkpoint/scanning is different than if you arrived at that same terminal to take the domestic flight. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the additional checkpoint screening seems well-integrated into the International Arrival and connection process, rather than completely exiting the secure area and re-entering as if you just arrived at the airport. For someone arriving into Boston from a Delta International flight, they would first go through Customs, and they would exit Terminal E and take the Massport shuttle over to Terminal A and then go through check-in and security as if that was their first flight.

Maybe I'm overthinking this? Maybe Delta International flight to Logan don't drive domestic flight connections like some other airports?
There is a shuttle service from A11 to E1A

There definitely are many airports worldwide where you go back through security at a transfer checkpoint, rather than through the general security line. At Logan, you can at least go back through in E and then either walk or bus to a domestic gate, rather than trying to make your way across the airport landside.

There definitely are many airports worldwide where you go back through security at a transfer checkpoint, rather than through the general security line. At Logan, you can at least go back through in E and then either walk or bus to a domestic gate, rather than trying to make your way across the airport landside.
Some of the transfer security checkpoints are mandated by specific country security protocols (UK for example). It is not just an airport design issue.

Did this yesterday at LHR. Flew AMS-LHR on KLM, landing at Heathrow Terminal 4. Flew LHR-BOS on VS out of Terminal 3. Two hour layover, but muust have landed during a slow period, because we were at our new gate in about 40 minutes, including the bus transfer and security.

Back