Logan Airport Capital Projects

As of a result of the gate expansion here, are there interesting examples of flights expansion offered? Can Aer Lingus move to Terminal E? Will there be more intl flights added?

It would be interesting to see a direct flight to Barcelona for example.

Can Aer Lingus move to Terminal E?
Why on earth would they want to do that? AerLingus has customs preclearance in Ireland so there's no need to go to Terminal E. They codeshare with JetBlue so Terminal C is exactly where they want to be for easy connections.

To the rest of your question, more gates certainly means more opportunities for flights but what flights and to where are chosen by airlines, completely independently of Massport. Right now with COVID terminal E still has a lot of spare capacity so I don't imagine we'll see anything new right away as a direct result of the new gates, more of the continued slow buildup of routes and frequency that we're already seeing.

As of a result of the gate expansion here, are there interesting examples of flights expansion offered? Can Aer Lingus move to Terminal E? Will there be more intl flights added?

It would be interesting to see a direct flight to Barcelona for example.

Boston already has non-stop service to Barcelona on Level.

There really isn't a lot of hole in Boston's European network. Delta recently announced seasonal service to Athens, and year round service to Tel Aviv. So, between seasonal and year round service, from Boston you can get to:

Lisbon#
Dublin#
Shannon
Reykjavik#
Paris - de Gaulle#
London - Heathrow#
Ponta Degala
Amsterdam#
Edinburgh
Rome#
Madrid
Barcelona
Frankfurt
Munich
Copenhagen
Zurich
Istanbul

# are routes with multiple carriers.

Brussels comes to mind as an opportunity.

Last edited:
Boston already has non-stop service to Barcelona on Level.

There really isn't a lot of hole in Boston's European network. Delta recently announced seasonal service to Athens, and year round service to Tel Aviv. So, between seasonal and year round service, from Boston you can get to:

Lisbon#
Dublin#
Shannon
Reykjavik#
Paris - de Gaulle#
London - Heathrow#
Ponta Degala
Amsterdam#
Edinburgh
Rome#
Madrid
Barcelona
Frankfurt
Munich
Copenhagen
Zurich
Istanbul

# are routes with multiple carriers.

Brussels comes to mind as an opportunity.
This is personal but pre-covid there was at least a daily to Manchester and I'd like that back. Delta had one and Thomas Cook used to have one as well. I also really miss the low cost carriers like Norwegian and Thomas Cook for Boston to the UK. Hopefully JetBlue succeeds there

IMG_2408 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2407 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2410 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2411 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2415 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2414 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2417 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2424 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2418 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2420 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2427 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2426 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2432 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2431 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2433 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2435 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2434 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2437 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_2438 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

Those Rubenesque curves! That sexy red! BeeLine, you caught her beauty perfectly! I'm in love! :love:

Last edited:
There's a part of me that thinks Massport only built this so they can tear down the control tower someday and still have an iconic building. :)

But honestly, Massport is on a roll. Almost everything they do looks good, at the Airport and in the Seaport.

1648048082394.jpeg

Not open yet but the new addition to Terminal E looks amazing! Credit to PitBosflier in Airliners.net

Looks great. If future minor modifications are needed on Terminal A, B, or C........they should consider using the same color RED accents to tie the whole airport together. I remember Logan in the late 80's and it's SO MUCH better now, but I'm bothered by the lack of architectural continuity between terminals, structures, and garages. The airport has essentially been totally rebuilt since my first trip there in 1987. I just wish it had been built with a little more cohesiveness. There was a proposal back in the early 90's for a massive central transportation hall where the current Central Garage is located. That proposal would have tied all the architectural styles together into a more cohesive design. I think the architects were SOM if I remember correctly.

Now that Terminal E's expansion is showing some signs of opening on-time next year - I am curious - could there be proposed new additions to Logan in the next 5-10 years? Is there room for it? Maybe there is room to add on to Terminal A satellite. Compared to other large inland airports (CLT for example), Logan expanson space is quite limited...

Now that Terminal E's expansion is showing some signs of opening on-time next year - I am curious - could there be proposed new additions to Logan in the next 5-10 years? Is there room for it? Maybe there is room to add on to Terminal A satellite. Compared to other large inland airports (CLT for example), Logan expanson space is quite limited...
Terminal A already has a satellite.

One issue is that you have the TWT vent building adjacent to the satellite in A. Massport would also need to find a new home for the cargo buildings and also Massport fire rescue too. It will be interesting to see what projects they push in the next cycle come 2025-2026.

Back