Logan Airport Capital Projects

20220901_063932.jpg
20220901_063927.jpg

Going past Terminal E expansion on the shuttle bus is a bit like going past a giant spaceship that just landed in the middle of Logan.

^^Is there a landscaping plan for Terminal E? I'm not sure how scrapping the people mover and garage impact short-term landscaping/tree coverage around the terminal, but hopeful there's enough real estate here to get some dense foliage.

Don’t you also need to be flying on Delta to get in? I don’t think you can flash your Amex and get into the Delta lounge if you’re flying BA or Emirates for example.

Correct. Amex Platinum card holders have access to Delta lounges only if you are flying Delta that same day and present your card. I have used this perk before without issue.

^^Is there a landscaping plan for Terminal E? I'm not sure how scrapping the people mover and garage impact short-term landscaping/tree coverage around the terminal, but hopeful there's enough real estate here to get some dense foliage.
Was a people mover ever seriously considered? And is it now impossible to build due to this design?

Was a people mover ever seriously considered? And is it now impossible to build due to this design?

The people mover was officially proposed, and it was compatible with the Terminal E expansion. Earlier in this thread there's a Massport presentation slide showing the APM route and this Terminal E plan. The APM got shelved when the pandemic cratered Logan's traffic numbers and revenue, it's unclear whether it's completely dead or just put on the back burner for later revival.

Not sure when it will happen, but Massport will eventually release a list of the projects covered in the next round of capital budgeting. I'd imagine the second phase of terminal E would come before the APM and they've even mentioned an A to B connector in previous presentations.

Reactions: FK4

Delta is planning on building a 20,000 sqf SkyClub in terminal E that will open in summer 2023, which should coincide with the terminal E expansion opening. I'd imagine all SkyTeam airliners - KLM, Air France, ITA and Korean, will use this club. This would put it on par, size wise anyways, with the much lauded SkyClub Delta opened in Seattle a few years back. I believe this will be the largest club over in E. The Lufthansa, Emirates, and British Airways lounges are in the 12-14k sqf range.

The remodeled and expanded SkyClub in the the A satellite is done and doubled the seating capacity.

The article also talks about the buses Delta is running between A and E. Seems like a pretty quick option for those connecting.

Last edited:
On the airport topic... what do you all make of this?
...and we'll have to forgive his pronunciation of LaGuardia

Agree with @dshoost88 regarding his thesis and it being flawed. He is also pretty blatantly and hypocritically cherry picking the data. Within the space of 2 minutes, he criticizes taxes as being too high, then criticizes them as being too low. Which is it? And before that, he makes an apples to oranges comparison of federally funding for a single airport to parking fees for the 30 largest. Hard to take such shenanigans seriously.

Delta is planning on building a 20,000 sqf SkyClub in terminal E that will open in summer 2023, which should coincide with the terminal E expansion opening. I'd imagine all SkyTeam airliners - KLM, Air France, ITA and Korean, will use this club. This would put it on par, size wise anyways, with the much lauded SkyClub Delta opened in Seattle a few years back. I believe this will be the largest club over in E. The Lufthansa, Emirates, and British Airways lounges are in the 12-14k sqf range.

The remodeled and expanded SkyClub in the the A satellite is done and doubled the seating capacity.

The article also talks about the buses Delta is running between A and E. Seems like a pretty quick option for those connecting.

I wonder if Delta will be adding more flights to Europe in 2023. Sounds like we might be seeing a few new destinations for the Summer of 2023. We shall find out in October!

Agree with @dshoost88 regarding his thesis and it being flawed. He is also pretty blatantly and hypocritically cherry picking the data. Within the space of 2 minutes, he criticizes taxes as being too high, then criticizes them as being too low. Which is it? And before that, he makes an apples to oranges comparison of federally funding for a single airport to parking fees for the 30 largest. Hard to take such shenanigans seriously.
He is a 22 year old Dane who graduated from a lower-ranked business college in Denmark.

Last edited:
I wonder if Delta will be adding more flights to Europe in 2023. Sounds like we might be seeing a few new destinations for the Summer of 2023. We shall find out in October!
Surprised delta hasn't ordered some A321LRs or XLRs. Those would be perfect for Boston to some smaller European destinations (ex Prague, Dusseldorf, Geneva, Berlin, etc).

Surprised delta hasn't ordered some A321LRs or XLRs. Those would be perfect for Boston to some smaller European destinations (ex Prague, Dusseldorf, Geneva, Berlin, etc).
I flew into Berlin Brandenburg on the 12th (via Dublin) and got a quick landside tour of the world's oldest brand new airport by my German friend who was there waiting for me. It reminded me a lot of Denver International Airport in layout and look/feel. It's not a hub, but was certainly was built to be one (apparently it was going to be a hub for the late Air Berlin). There were several people on my BOS-DUB flight who transferred to the DUB-BER flight( there was a group of about ten of us who navigated the transfer maze at Dublin Airport together). It wouldn't surprise me if Delta started BOS-BER at some point.

This pic was taken early today and doesn't really do it any justice. The bold architecture of the new terminal is so unlike anything at Logan, and maybe most US airports. It's amazing to see up close and personal. Admittedly, the interior design may lack some of the zeal compared to the physical characteristics of the exterior.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
This pic was taken early today and doesn't really do it any justice. The bold architecture of the new terminal is so unlike anything at Logan, and maybe most US airports. It's amazing to see up close and personal. Admittedly, the interior design may lack some of the zeal compared to the physical characteristics of the exterior.

View attachment 29110
I was by there a couple weeks ago in the dark and it was easier to spot then but still visible in your photo - all those accent lights burned out already. I assume that is supposed to be one continuous line but it’s looking awfully checkered.

I flew into Berlin Brandenburg on the 12th (via Dublin) and got a quick landside tour of the world's oldest brand new airport by my German friend who was there waiting for me. It reminded me a lot of Denver International Airport in layout and look/feel. It's not a hub, but was certainly was built to be one (apparently it was going to be a hub for the late Air Berlin). There were several people on my BOS-DUB flight who transferred to the DUB-BER flight( there was a group of about ten of us who navigated the transfer maze at Dublin Airport together). It wouldn't surprise me if Delta started BOS-BER at some point.

OT, but what is up with Dublin? I flew through there twice in September and was baffled by how such a small airport can also be so confusing. Definitely better than going through Heathrow or Schiphol but really odd.

OT, but what is up with Dublin? I flew through there twice in September and was baffled by how such a small airport can also be so confusing. Definitely better than going through Heathrow or Schiphol but really odd.
The customs preclearance is a big part of what makes it confusing imo, it basically means you need three different sterile areas (outside EU, inside EU, inside US) in the airport, two is challenging enough.

I had no trouble navigating Dublin on either end, and I find Terminal 2 to be really beautiful (this wasn't my first time there). I was transferring to a Schengen bound flight, so I was directed to bypass the Irish/CTA border checkpoint. The Schengen bound flight gates in Terminal 2 were a little odd, they were set off of the main terminal by a series long corridors and corners, etc (hence the aforementioned maze) and they were bus gates, passengers board buses that went only about two hundred feet to a walkway to the apron stand where the plane to Berlin was waiting (it was one of the two Irish Rugby liveried A321s), I found that a little unusual (not the bus gates, but the layout), but nothing too notable, since apron stands for departures are much more common in Europe than North America. On the way back I was delayed at Munich due to a mess-up by the German contractor that handles Aer Lingus's check-ins (they lost the passenger list and had to check everyone in manually, which delayed the flight by almost three hours) and a four hour layover at Dublin turned into a less than one hour layover, but I have to give the airline and airport staff a lot of credit for making sure everyone made their connections -because of the problems in Munich, they could only issue boarding cards to Dublin (thankfully they could check everyone's bags through), so everyone who was connecting had to go right to the transfer desk before making their connections, they did put everyone who was connecting up front (I got row 4). They assigned this flight (coincidentally on the other Irish Rugby liveried A320) the arrival gate closest to the transfer desk, and had everyone's onward boarding cards ready when they got there. From the transfer desk there was a corridor directly to the US preclearance area (after a quick passport check, but no scan, at the Irish/CTA border booth). Preclearance was a breeze because I have Global Entry, but the amateur line itself wasn't very long, another nice touch was that the staff at the US-bound security checkpoint (where they just scan your bags, but passengers don't go through a metal detector or X-Ray machine) they assured US bound passengers that, because their boarding cards were scanned upon entering the US Preclearance security area, the flight crews knew that you were there and they "won't leave without you" (maybe it was because most of the staff were middle aged Irish mams that reminded me a little of my own Irish-American mam, so there was something comforting about their reassurance). I would estimate from the time I disembarked the flight from Munich to the time I sat on the Boston flight, it was about 15-20 minutes.

Last edited:

Back