Logan Airport Capital Projects

We flew Hawaiian Air last Thursday from Boston to Honolulu. Terminal E at 9:30am. I was disappointed there were ONLY 2 options open for breakfast. Option 1 said we couldn't be seated and have breakfast within 45 minutes. Option 2 was "Hudson Coffee" with at least a 20-minute line. I opted for the line at Hudson Coffee. It was OK, but I had to swig the coffee quickly to make the flight, and it came to my mind that "This Boston airport really sucks." ......sorry.

On the way home, we had the layover in San Francisco. I was surprised how busy it was at 9pm. ALL the food options were open to at least 10pm and some even later. Our flight back to Boston departed at midnight.

I will add the Hawaiian airlines direct flight from Boston to Honolulu was really nice with two dinners onboard and lots of snacks. We flew United back connecting in San Francisco and got virtually nothing onboard.

We flew Hawaiian Air last Thursday from Boston to Honolulu. Terminal E at 9:30am. I was disappointed there were ONLY 2 options open for breakfast. Option 1 said we couldn't be seated and have breakfast within 45 minutes. Option 2 was "Hudson Coffee" with at least a 20-minute line. I opted for the line at Hudson Coffee. It was OK, but I had to swig the coffee quickly to make the flight, and it came to my mind that "This Boston airport really sucks." ......sorry.

On the way home, we had the layover in San Francisco. I was surprised how busy it was at 9pm. ALL the food options were open to at least 10pm and some even later. Our flight back to Boston departed at midnight.

I will add the Hawaiian airlines direct flight from Boston to Honolulu was really nice with two dinners onboard and lots of snacks. We flew United back connecting in San Francisco and got virtually nothing onboard.
Terminal E is really quiet in the morning, doesn't surprise me that there were few options open. Like your SFO experience, if you were at the terminal that late at night, it would have been just as busy.

Terminal E is really quiet in the morning, doesn't surprise me that there were few options open. Like your SFO experience, if you were at the terminal that late at night, it would have been just as busy.

Yes, good point. However, it was busier than I expected with Porter Flights to Toronto, my Hawaiian flight and others. It seems like more than 2 options should have been opened for coffee and breakfast in my opinion.

I’d say it needs a Dunkin’, but they’ve been dead to me ever since they sold out to that Baskin Robbins-or-whatever conglomerate.

Maybe a Pavement? Or a Tatte? A Mike & Patty’s perhaps? It shouldn’t be hard to get a good breakfast sandwich at Boston’s international terminal considering how easy it is to find a good one in the city itself.

Last edited:

SFO is a hub for United and terminal F is typically busy after 8 pm with all of the red eye flights to the East Coast and Midwest. I flew UA red eye back to Boston a couple of week ago and took the same flight as you. UA ran a 77W on SFO-EWR, a 772 on SFO-ORD, a 77W on SFO-IAD and a 772 on SFO-EWR and all 4 of those flights left after 9 pm. If I am remember correctly, they also had red eye flights to JFK, Philadelphia, BWI, Orlando, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Mexico City, Austin, Houston, and the Boston flight I was on, all after 10 pm. Needless to say it was a pretty buzzing terminal at 10:30 at night.

SFO is a hub for United and terminal F is typically busy after 8 pm with all of the red eye flights to the East Coast and Midwest. I flew UA red eye back to Boston a couple of week ago and took the same flight as you. UA ran a 77W on SFO-EWR, a 772 on SFO-ORD, a 77W on SFO-IAD and a 772 on SFO-EWR and all 4 of those flights left after 9 pm. If I am remember correctly, they also had red eye flights to JFK, Philadelphia, BWI, Orlando, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Mexico City, Austin, Houston, and the Boston flight I was on, all after 10 pm. Needless to say it was a pretty buzzing terminal at 10:30 at night.

All true and valid concerning SFO. However, is it too much to ask for more than 2 options that are open at a major International Terminal for breakfast at 8:30am? That's all I'm really saying. The line for coffee at the ONE takeout place open in Terminal E was insanely long. The ONE sit-down option was over 45 minutes. It wasn't 5am. It was 8:30am, and Terminal E was quite busy.

Here's a photo I just took from the departure end of 22R - there's so much more glazing on this side that the red is actually much less noticable.
20221016_165137.jpg

I’d say it needs a Dunkin’, but they’ve been dead to me ever since they sold out to that Baskin Robbins-or-whatever conglomerate.

Maybe a Pavement? Or a Tatte? A Mike & Patty’s perhaps? It shouldn’t be hard to get a good breakfast sandwich at Boston’s international terminal considering how easy it is to find a good one in the city itself.

Kind of shocking it doesn't already have a Dunkins. Need to checkout pavement, but a Mike & Patty's would be great (always wonder how the Newton location holds up). I'd throw my lot behind a Flour, too.

Kind of shocking it doesn't already have a Dunkins. Need to checkout pavement, but a Mike & Patty's would be great (always wonder how the Newton location holds up). I'd throw my lot behind a Flour, too.
There most definitely is a dunks post security in E... though given it's at Gate E1A, *just barely so.* You may as well go through to terminal C for your coffee, especially given that dunks limited afternoon hours and the food options in C if you have the time. In general, I agree that E doesn't have enough in the way of dining options - as far as I'm aware, there's only 3, maybe 4 sit down places - but only 1/2 quick serve, and there should be more. Airports are a place where a fast food joint can be really appropriate, but they're not exactly the vibe airports want to have now. (In fact, in certain airports if you know where to look you can still find the shadow of the McD arches surrounded by iPad dining) It's one of the things I'm most looking forward to about the new Terminal is that expansive open hall area which looks ripe for retail and dining.

Last edited:
There most definitely is a dunks post security in E... though given it's at Gate E1A, *just barely so.*
Logan's site says it's closed on Saturday and Sunday. It's down the escalator too, around the bend, and after the part-time checkpoint; you really have to know it's there. Hawaiian is usually at E11, and of the morning flights departing from upper E gates only BA and Porter are daily; Copa and Hawaiian aren't. I have a hard time seeing there being a lot of unmet morning demand in E.

Logan's site says it's closed on Saturday and Sunday. It's down the escalator too, around the bend, and after the part-time checkpoint; you really have to know it's there. Hawaiian is usually at E11, and of the morning flights departing from upper E gates only BA and Porter are daily; Copa and Hawaiian aren't. I have a hard time seeing there being a lot of unmet morning demand in E.

Interesting. I think Hawaiian is every other day. (That's kind of what I remember when booking tickets.) Porter is certainly daily. I still think that having only ONE "noticeable" quick-serve location for coffee at 8:30am in the morning is very weak for a large international airport. I guess the Dunkins in Terminal E is taking a cue from those speakeasies in East Boston that are hard to find, and you need a secret code to access them. :)

Interesting. I think Hawaiian is every other day. (That's kind of what I remember when booking tickets.) Porter is certainly daily. I still think that having only ONE "noticeable" quick-serve location for coffee at 8:30am in the morning is very weak for a large international airport. I guess the Dunkins in Terminal E is taking a cue from those speakeasies in East Boston that are hard to find, and you need a secret code to access them. :)

Remember the first rule of airports: everyone serves coffee. I often get mine from the burrito stand or the sushi place. :)

You may not have seen any of those either, though.

Massport released the September deck for their board meeting and it confirms that Delta will be building a 21k sqf SkyClub in the terminal E expansion and also leasing additional support space in terminal E.

Now all three of the major alliances will have new, expanded clubs in terminal E. Looks like there are 2 other slots left. The Delta club appears to be taking up 2 of the 4 club spots.

They also note that 88% of Logan's concession are open.

Last edited:
Good spot and that confirms what was a logical assumption.

I wonder if a domino might fall with Air France vacating their lounge. Any reason for 2 Skyteam lounges? There are more than I thought - AF and Delta of course but also KLM, Korean, and ITA.

Good spot and that confirms what was a logical assumption.

I wonder if a domino might fall with Air France vacating their lounge. Any reason for 2 Skyteam lounges? There are more than I thought - AF and Delta of course but also KLM, Korean, and ITA.

I doubt we will see two lounges for Sky Team carriers. The Delta club will handle Delta, KLM, ITA, Korean and Air France. Koreanair's Seoul flight leaves around noon, so that avoids the European departure bank crunch.

But there are two slots available, so who knows?

Once all three alliances have clubs, is there a need for Centurion/Chase/PriorityPass?

My sense is that card/independent clubs function as the “not the Hubber” club, catering to “everyone else” (eg, not Sky at DTW, not Admirals at CLT…)

But once you’re big enough for all 3 (international gateways), the independents don’t have critical mass.

Obviously Boston being a JetBlue hub perturbs that a little, and we’re rich enough to merit a Chase lounge.

That kind of leaves just non-Alliance premium international (like Norwegian back in the day) is that enough to get a 4th club in E?

Amex missed the C lounge to Chase but having something in E would seem even more lucrative for them.

Boston is a clear hole in AMEX's lounge network (along with Newark, Atlanta, Washington - Dulles and Chicago - O'Hare). They currently have Centurion lounges in Charlotte, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Denver, Las Vegas, Miami, Los Angeles, New York - JFK, New York - LaGuardia, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Francisco, and Seattle. I know in LA they have their lounge in the Ted Bradley terminal, so they're not afraid of locating a lounge in an international heavy terminal.

Boston is a clear hole in AMEX's lounge network (along with Newark, Atlanta, Washington - Dulles and Chicago - O'Hare). They currently have Centurion lounges in Charlotte, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Denver, Las Vegas, Miami, Los Angeles, New York - JFK, New York - LaGuardia, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Francisco, and Seattle. I know in LA they have their lounge in the Ted Bradley terminal, so they're not afraid of locating a lounge in an international heavy terminal.

Yeah seriously, just flew out today on jet blue and attempted to get into the priority pass lounge to be rejected pretty hard: only business class allowed and Amex members (well anyone else) goes on a wait list that was hours long. Having been on an Amex lounge it would be really great if they stepped their game up at Logan.

0A5FC5F3-A450-49E0-A0C0-65D3E7331934.jpeg
9560B356-D51C-4227-9CE6-2D07A566AA89.jpeg
5C47A0FF-B5D6-4AA6-A015-91AC61FF458B.jpeg

Walked up to the rooftop level of the rental car building to grab a view and some pix of the massive red E Terminal addition! Pics just don’t do justice of it’s enormity!

Back