Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Today much of the world is much more directly or 1 stop connected than it was when a handful of major airports were connected and everything else went through them

I was hoping Turkish would be the one to go double daily to maximize the non-stop possibilities since its Istanbul creates far more 1-stop options than Dubai or Hong Kong.

This also explains the decline in Madrid -- few were really flying with an ultimate origin / destination of Spain -- Iberia just was a convenient connector

Spanish economy is in the toilet still. That's the main problem.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...gan-airport/86hBKprTSHkJPXYn1BkWMJ/story.html

Not a good thing! This situation gives Logan such a bad name with international travelers. I would hate this as an arriving passenger!

Customs acknowledges Logan is short-staffed
The federal agency said it is unknown when new officers can be added to speed up wait times, partly due to budget limitations.

This is generic not Logan specific other than the extra demand due to the rapid growth in international service-- I suspect it is the sleazy classic ploy of [lay off the garbage collectors and close the fire stations] being employed by the Administration to try to squeeze more $ from the Congress before the spending is set for DHS

This is generic not Logan specific other than the extra demand due to the rapid growth in international service-- I suspect it is the sleazy classic ploy of [lay off the garbage collectors and close the fire stations] being employed by the Administration to try to squeeze more $ from the Congress before the spending is set for DHS
Fly much?

Federal fees and taxes on international travel

Departure and arrival tax = $35
APHIS fee = $5.00 (arrivals)
Customs User Fee = $5.50
Immigration User Fee = $7.00

That's over $50 per RT ticket, most of the money going to Immigration and Customs.

In the Federal government, as it doesn't collect garbage, its popularly known as 'close the Washington Monument' ploy.

However in this instance, ICE activities at airports, ports, and similar, are mostly funded through the user fees and taxes above, not from an appropriation of general revenue funds. So there are no sleazy ploys.

(And the Dept. of Homeland Security has its appropriation for 2015.)

Fly much?

Federal fees and taxes on international travel

Departure and arrival tax = $35
APHIS fee = $5.00 (arrivals)
Customs User Fee = $5.50
Immigration User Fee = $7.00

That's over $50 per RT ticket, most of the money going to Immigration and Customs.

In the Federal government, as it doesn't collect garbage, its popularly known as 'close the Washington Monument' ploy.

However in this instance, ICE activities at airports, ports, and similar, are mostly funded through the user fees and taxes above, not from an appropriation of general revenue funds. So there are no sleazy ploys.

(And the Dept. of Homeland Security has its appropriation for 2015.)

Stel -- Money is Money -- you can shuffle and move it remember the discussion of the Social Security Trust Fund and the "LockBox" -- its called the Fed 3 Card Monty

We are not talking 2015 we are talking the appropriation bills for FY2016 that this time are being developed through the traditional process*1

From the official website of the US Congress
https://www.congress.gov/search?q={"congress":"114","source":"legislation","search":"appropriation"}
S.1619 — 114th Congress (2015-2016)
Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2016
Sponsor: Sen. Hoeven, John [R-ND] (Introduced 06/18/2015)
Committees: Senate - Appropriations
Committee Reports: S. Rept. 114-68
Latest Action: 06/18/2015 Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 122.

*1 for the first time since before the ignominious joint rule of Pelosi and Reid

Beat me to it.

What is important to recognize here is with the new 739ERs LY has taken delivery of over the past few years they have freed up 763s that operated routes like BCN, CDG, LTN to name a few that created aircraft availability for the 763 to fly to BOS. MIA or even ORD are beyond the economic range of the 763 and would require payload restrictions.

I flew in from Rome last week. We have Global Entry and cleared customs in no time. You can use the kiosk instead of meeting with an immigration officer and we answered two questions at customs, but there was no line. The line for folks without Global Entry was really long at both immigration and customs. Its worth the $100 or whatever they charge for 5 years.

wbhighlander, you either can't read, or don't comprehend what you do read, or have no understanding of the Federal budget / appropriations process.

The government is currently in FY 2015, spending monies appropriated for Fy 2015. The Federal government's fiscal year 2016 begins October 1, 2015. The appropriations bills you cite are for FY 2016. An agency can't spend money that's not appropriated, it's called the Anti-Deficiency Act.

I flew in from Rome last week. We have Global Entry and cleared customs in no time. You can use the kiosk instead of meeting with an immigration officer and we answered two questions at customs, but there was no line. The line for folks without Global Entry was really long at both immigration and customs. Its worth the $100 or whatever they charge for 5 years.

For that price I'm going to look into it even if you go internationally twice a year. Its ten dollars per trip.

For that price I'm going to look into it even if you go internationally twice a year. Its ten dollars per trip.

Even better with one of several credit cards that provide a waiver/reimbursement like American Express Platinum, Citi AAdvantage Executive Card, and Citi Prestige

Even better with one of several credit cards that provide a waiver/reimbursement like American Express Platinum, Citi AAdvantage Executive Card, and Citi Prestige

We have the credit card reimbursement for my wife and I, but we paid for the kids to get it. Totally worth it. Plus, it gets you a TSA Pre-Check number for flying domestically.

wbhighlander, you either can't read, or don't comprehend what you do read, or have no understanding of the Federal budget / appropriations process.

The government is currently in FY 2015, spending monies appropriated for Fy 2015. The Federal government's fiscal year 2016 begins October 1, 2015. The appropriations bills you cite are for FY 2016. An agency can't spend money that's not appropriated, it's called the Anti-Deficiency Act.

Stel -- do you read what you post before hit submit?

When I was funded by a major Fed contract administered by a major bureaucracy I regularly received a memo in early August admonishing me to make sure that I spent all of what I still had as the FY was ending in just a month -- I think that I have some experience with FY spending games

Of course the gov't is spending FY2015 -- also of course everyone is currently jockeying to make sure that they get their wish list funded for 2016

Meanwhile the FY 2017 budget planning is well underway inside of the agencies

Stel -- do you read what you post before hit submit?

When I was funded by a major Fed contract administered by a major bureaucracy I regularly received a memo in early August admonishing me to make sure that I spent all of what I still had as the FY was ending in just a month -- I think that I have some experience with FY spending games

Of course the gov't is spending FY2015 -- also of course everyone is currently jockeying to make sure that they get their wish list funded for 2016

Meanwhile the FY 2017 budget planning is well underway inside of the agencies

Before this sidetrack gets completely off the rails, you are making a presumption that you know as much or more about Federal budgeting (based on being a recipient of a single Federal contract) than I do. I can assure you that you don't.

Federal agencies are currently spending FY 2015 monies; they cannot spend FY 2016 monies until October 1, 2015 (though they can, in many instances, continue to spend FY 2015 monies in FY 2016 (Oct 2015-September 2016), and in years beyond (no-year appropriations). The President's budget for FY 2017 will be sent to Congress in February 2016. The agency budget requests for FY 2017 will be reviewed between October and December 2015.

Random question. Is there enough demand for anyone to ever consider a non-stop from Logan to either Honolulu or Maui even if only a few times a week? Is this just not possible financially because it will be mostly leisure travelers and not enough business travelers. I guess another issue would be which carrier would jump on such a route out of Boston.

A non-stop flight from Boston to Hawaii would never happen. While I don't have hard numbers, I am making the assumption that the demand is not there to fill a plane even at less than daily frequency. No airline is going to throw planes on the route given that fact alone, never mind that the route would flyover several hubs, such as Detroit, Chicago O'Hare, Denver, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Before this sidetrack gets completely off the rails, you are making a presumption that you know as much or more about Federal budgeting (based on being a recipient of a single Federal contract) than I do. I can assure you that you don't.

Federal agencies are currently spending FY 2015 monies; they cannot spend FY 2016 monies until October 1, 2015 (though they can, in many instances, continue to spend FY 2015 monies in FY 2016 (Oct 2015-September 2016), and in years beyond (no-year appropriations). The President's budget for FY 2017 will be sent to Congress in February 2016. The agency budget requests for FY 2017 will be reviewed between October and December 2015.

Yes?

Look -- I'm sure that you think that you are authoritative -- But

My work has been funded by several Federal Agencies over the years and starting when I was a graduate student -- I've worked on the acquiring and keeping / expanding funding at many levels*1 -- suffice it to say there are the official procedures and then there are the "Unofficial Rules of the road" for the various funders and fundees

*1 If you remember the view from the Sunday DC shows with the Capitol in the background -- about 5 years ago I made a pitch to the Lobbyists involved with our particular project -- and the view from their conference room was -- Well it looked like you could touch the Dome -- you just don't get to that conference room without knowing something about both the official and unofficial rules

Seriously, can't you just let it go? Of if not, why not just pm Stellarfun and have at it.

Back