Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

How come Toronto isn't in the top 10?

Revised - separated the Toronto airports individually for now. Thanks for the catch!

London - 868024
Paris - 321779
Dublin - 308517
Frankfurt - 281970
Amsterdam 250758
Reykjavik 184906
Toronto City 171393
Munich 152278
Toronto Pearson 148203
Dubai 146760

I think it was only a few years ago that BOS-LHR was over a million. Guess no one will be eager to pick up that available slot.

I think it was only a few years ago that BOS-LHR was over a million. Guess no one will be eager to pick up that available slot.

Correct - It looks to be capacity related resulting from AA's drawdown in BOS. 2011 may have been the peak capacity wise with DL running 2 daily flights.

In 2014 there were about 1.08 million seats available and with the passenger totals above there's a 80.4 load factor.

In 2011, there 1.32 million seats available and 1.02 million passengers flew it.
77.3% load factor.

Not a crazy difference between the loads on the flights and that is not the be-all end all of performance as we know. Delta had some bad months but could have done OK in the front of the cabin.

More Caribbean/Latin American frequencies added by JetBlue and increased seasonal Cancun service (daily from 12/20/15-1/4/16) by Delta.

The majority of JetBlue adds are for more Sunday flights to tourist/leisure markets.

St. Maarten - additional Sunday flight begins in December 2015. Second Saturday flight begins late January

Provo Turks and Caicos - additional Sunday flight. Not sure if they are doing second saturday yet as they did last year- it may be loaded in next JetBlue schedule increase

Liberia, Costa Rica - additional Sunday flight starting second week of January 2016

Punta Cana - Wednesday flight added for Holidays and stays at three weekly after that (2 Saturday 1 Sunday)

Cancun- schedule now ranges from 4-9 weekly in December/January with the peak being the Winter Break with daily service and three Saturday flights. The majority of the 4 weekly service is in January with Saturday being two flights and Sunday/Monday the two others.

Chatter over on airlines.net about a potential new airline announcement this week. Any bets on who it could be?

Here are some possible routes:

Americas
WestJet to Toronto
TAM/Azul to Sao Paulo
Avianca to Bogota

Europe
TAP Portugal to Lisbon
Brussels Airlines to Brussels
Finnair to Helsinki
LOT to Warsaw
SAS/Norwegian to Copenhagen

Asia/Middle East
Korean/Asiana to Seoul
EVA/China Airlines to Taipei
Etihad to Abu Dhabi

Last edited:
Here are some possible routes:

LOT to Warsaw
EVA/China Airlines to Taipei

Thread on airliners about Boston being on LOT's list. Came from this article:
http://lubielatac.pl/newsy/lot-oglosi-nowe-trasy-strategie-i-plany-rozwoju-na-2016-co-sie-zmieni/

Its in Polish so you need a browser to translate it and its read a bit strange due to translation. "The line will also appear even more clearly in North America, according to information published by the Wprost to New York and Chicago will join Miami, Boston, and San Francisco Washington. On all these routes, you can expect high occupancy and there should not be any problem with filling up aircraft."

There's supposedly a 4-hr press conference by LOT today outlining this? The article reads more like a wishlist to me but we'll see.

Taipei is a destination that we've overlooked and has a good chance of happen in the next few years. EVA Airlines recently stated they want to get to 100 US flights a week (at 63 and have publicly mentioned Chicago/Washington Dulles are next). China Airlines has A350's on order (they get 4 in 2016) and a big codeshare agreement with Delta.

I'd love to see this announcement be a Seoul or Taipei flight but stay tuned. We may wake up Thursday morning and see an Etihad announcement.

I think 4 daily flights between the Middle East carriers would be overkill and we'd see load factors below 50% for good portions of the year.

Sao Paulo
Seoul
Copenhagen
Lisbon (by TAP)

That would be the order in which I would like to see new services added. A non-stop flight to South America would round out Logan's network nicely. Europe is well covered with daily flights to all of the big hubs (London, Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Munich) plus flights to Dublin, Shannon, Madrid (seasonal), Rome, Zurich, etc. At this point Seoul is the only missing link in Asia.

Here is a nice picture of both Hainan flights (as well as BA, IB, and EI) at Terminal E

June-20th-2015-Hainan-Inaugural-to-Shanghai-Pudong-original-_500x323.jpg

Real nice pic! There's an additional tail polking out behind Aer Lingus, I thought Alitalia but now don't think so! Any ideas which airline that is?

Real nice pic! There's an additional tail polking out behind Aer Lingus, I thought Alitalia but now don't think so! Any ideas which airline that is?

I think it looks like Alitalia. Although if it's not them then it's got to be Emirates.

For the premium flyer - JetBlue will phase in its Mint service on two of its Boston-San Francisco flights - http://airlineroute.net/2015/06/23/b6-bossfo-mar16/

Story here on USA TODAY along with news of a return to Nashville in Spring 2016 and the increased Caribbean service.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/today...ville-expand-mint-service-to-boston/29139903/

One more edit: Another story says Boston-Barbados will have mint on the Saturday only flight. The 8:00am Boston-San Fran Mint flight does not fly on Saturday. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/je...rvice-2015-06-23-6173038?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Someone on airliners also posted that Avianca has applied to serve Bogota-Boston with the Colombian Authorities in that country. This may be the route announcement.

Last edited:
Nashville seems like s logical add from Boston. Nashville-NYC is very crowded as there's about 20 daily flight between Delta, America, United and Southwest.

I wonder how UA will respond, if at all, on their SFO-BOS runs. They already beat JetBlue on frequency. But will they adjust the product?

Back