Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

^ looks approximately as shitty and unwelcoming as the customs and baggage area in term e at Logan.

Those Condor flights are cheap too - still quoting <$700 for a June RT to FRA

I think we discussed the international flights to TF Green in this thread right?

Take a look at the "terminal" TF Green created (read: converted cramped Back of House areas to customs & baggage claim) to get ready for those flights.

http://www.abc6.com/story/29095876/t-f-green-airport-international-expansion

I love RI, but this quote from Senator Jack Reed...

“We have a much more easier way to promote Rhode Island as a destination point when you can go to Europeans and say, direct flights to Rhode Island– see where America began."

... is all sorts of awful.

I love RI, but this quote from Senator Jack Reed...

“We have a much more easier way to promote Rhode Island as a destination point when you can go to Europeans and say, direct flights to Rhode Island– see where America began."

... is all sorts of awful.

LrFox -- to quote Jack Nicholson as President James Dale^*

President Dale:
"isn't the universe big enough for both of us ..... EARTH and mars ......Together.....
Why can't we work out our differences? Why can't we work things out? Little people, why can't we all just get along?
https://youtu.be/MPMmC0UAnj0

^* rising to the occasion just before the Martian Ambassador skewers him with a autonomous robotic handshake

Wow, 3 carriers on BOS-SEA. We're talking 7 daily flights during the peak May through September travel season. That's a TON of capacity for this route.

These photos 2 weeks old old now ... taller than i expected!

17980246758_0387d0d65a_h.jpg

17981919729_67bef60758_h.jpg

These photos 2 weeks old old now ... taller than i expected!
I can't quite imagine where this is. This is the addition to the Central garage (not B) right? Massport seems to discuss it here, but since they don't date their PR (sloppy), I can't quite tell. I'm guessing they can go taller because there's a taller FAA height cap (or tower sightlines?) at the center of the campus than at the edges?

And can we assume that the addition to the B garage will be on the ends (like the hairpin between B1 and B2 sides?

BTW also an impressive new garage for the Framingham Logan Express (1100 spaces

CCqzeDUWMAAhgSw.jpg:small

I can't quite imagine where this is. This is the addition to the Central garage (not B) right? Massport seems to discuss it here, but since they don't date their PR (sloppy), I can't quite tell. I'm guessing they can go taller because there's a taller FAA height cap (or tower sightlines?) at the center of the campus than at the edges?

I believe it's on that little strip of parking lot (on Google Maps) between the current garage and the hotel. It will enclose the current glass wall of the A-E connector.

I believe it's on that little strip of parking lot (on Google Maps) between the current garage and the hotel. It will enclose the current glass wall of the A-E connector.

Correct. This is the West Garage Expansion on top of the Hilton lot. It's 10 stories.

The B Garage expansion is not happening anymore, only the small A-B Connector I had mentioned previously. It was not feasible. To compensate for some space lost by cancelling the B expansion, they added a 10th floor to the West Garage Expansion. It was previously planned as 9.

Homeland Security announced that they would enter negotiations for Customs and Border Control preclearance for 10 airports in 9 countries.

http://www.dhs.gov/news/2015/05/29/dhs-announces-intent-expand-preclearance-10-new-airports

I only mention this since 7 of these airports have or will have flights to Logan. This could change some terminal assignments at Logan Airport since the majority are served or will be served non-stop and could alleviate pressure on E.

Punta Cana (the only pure leisure and Caribbean destination out of the 10)
Tokyo Narita
Amsterdam
Madrid
Istanbul Ataturk
Manchester UK
and the granddaddy of them all: London Heathrow.

Turkish Airlines could easily get sent to C.

Japan Airlines or Iberia could wind up in B or C. This may allow American to take on the Madrid route as well.

Thomas Cook could be sent anywhere there's room.

Does Virgin Atlantic go to A? I know widebodies tend to take up two gates in that Terminal.

Does Massport make a deal with British Airways to move to B? All depends on the potential for A380 service by British Airways. Personally I would bet on them staying put.

^that is potentially very good news for Logan and the alliances that work here (AA, DL, and B6).

The three countries that don't have service to Logan also get interesting: Belgium, Sweden, and Norway, which all seem
Plausible as places a discount or Alliance carrier might was to try (why else would they even be on DHS' list?)

The three countries that don't have service to Logan also get interesting: Belgium, Sweden, and Norway, which all seem
Plausible as places a discount or Alliance carrier might was to try (why else would they even be on DHS' list?)

24 airports submitted interest to DHS and they chose the top 10 based on impact. The goal of this is to keep the bad people out not necessarily make things easier for the airlines or passengers. If that was the case there would be a lot more leisure destinations on the list.

I can see why Brussels was probably picked due to Brussels Airlines African portfolio. Oslo, Manchester, and Stockholm - they are not major European hubs but are based in countries with recent immigration waves from some hotspots in the world - this is probably the DHS logic for choosing these three.

Does Massport make a deal with British Airways to move to B? All depends on the potential for A380 service by British Airways. Personally I would bet on them staying put.

BA would be smarter to pick up that available slot and run Boston as a frequency market - essentially a smaller Kennedy ... 777s in the winter and a mix of 74s and 777s in the summer.

BA would be smarter to pick up that available slot and run Boston as a frequency market - essentially a smaller Kennedy ... 777s in the winter and a mix of 74s and 777s in the summer.

If that slot is not picked up and BA grabs it, what would be the ideal time?
Here's the current departure schedule from Logan.

8:10 am
7:10 pm
9:40 pm
10:30 pm

From Heathrow its

11:10 am
4:45 pm
6:00 pm
7:45 pm

Would a early morning flight from Heathrow make sense and have a fairly quick turn in Logan to get the plane out by noon at the latest?

BA has 789's and 710's on order too I think we will see those in Logan someday.

Homeland Security announced that they would enter negotiations for Customs and Border Control preclearance for 10 airports in 9 countries.

http://www.dhs.gov/news/2015/05/29/dhs-announces-intent-expand-preclearance-10-new-airports

I only mention this since 7 of these airports have or will have flights to Logan. This could change some terminal assignments at Logan Airport since the majority are served or will be served non-stop and could alleviate pressure on E.

Punta Cana (the only pure leisure and Caribbean destination out of the 10)
Tokyo Narita
Amsterdam
Madrid
Istanbul Ataturk
Manchester UK
and the granddaddy of them all: London Heathrow.

Turkish Airlines could easily get sent to C.

Japan Airlines or Iberia could wind up in B or C. This may allow American to take on the Madrid route as well.

Thomas Cook could be sent anywhere there's room.

Does Virgin Atlantic go to A? I know widebodies tend to take up two gates in that Terminal.

Well, Virgin and British Airways have Terminal E lounges, so I'd be surprised if they moved. Terminal C does have that former United lounge that Emirates uses, so it might be able to handle Turkish as well.

I don't think that through-connectivity is a huge deal at Logan for anyone but JetBlue, but preclearance does give the American carriers the ability to operate international flights more fully from their Domestic terminals. Delta could operate Amsterdam and London into A, depending on equipment. American would be able to bring Heathrow flights into B. JAL and Thomas Cook could also move into domestic terminals if need be.

All of which could be very helpful for Massport as it shuts down three gates in E.

If that slot is not picked up and BA grabs it, what would be the ideal time?
Here's the current departure schedule from Logan.

8:10 am
7:10 pm
9:40 pm
10:30 pm

From Heathrow its

11:10 am
4:45 pm
6:00 pm
7:45 pm

Would a early morning flight from Heathrow make sense and have a fairly quick turn in Logan to get the plane out by noon at the latest?

BA has 789's and 710's on order too I think we will see those in Logan someday.

Peak summer
Going east:
0810: 772
1910: 772
2045: 744
2200: 744
2315: 772

West:
1040: 772
1430: 744
1700: 744
1830: 772
2000: 772

Last edited:
^ I haven't been following the rule-making carefully: does BA's 5x dailies from Boston mean that they're using a LHR slot that had been set aside for some public-interest reason (like new service to BOS or the USA?)

^ I haven't been following the rule-making carefully: does BA's 5x dailies from Boston mean that they're using a LHR slot that had been set aside for some public-interest reason (like new service to BOS or the USA?)

Due to the EU-US open skies agreement and British Airways-Iberia-American Airlines-FinnAir Joint Venture - BA and AA had to make two BOS-LHR slots available along with 1 LHR-MIA and 1 LHR-DFW.

Delta took the two slots - but gave one up which was made available in April. If no one takes it then BA can if they want to... not sure if they have to use it at logan though.

BTS T-100 was released yesterday for December 2014.

Top 10 International routes by passengers at Logan for 2014

London - 868024
Paris - 321779
Dublin - 308517
Frankfurt - 281970
Amsterdam 250758
Reykjavik 184906
Munich 152278
Dubai 146760
Zurich 141611
Tokyo 110649

London, Munich and Zurich down very slightly under 1.5%
Frankfurt, Dublin, Reykjavik and Rome (not in top 10) up between 6-10%
Paris and Amsterdam down 3-5%
Madrid went off a cliff down 18% but that may be capacity related as well.

First full year of daily Tokyo Narita service so it would be good to compare 2014 to 2015.

Istanbul will probably be #8-10 for 2015 and bump Tokyo out of top 10.

I'll do December numbers for the new routes later on.

Back