Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
Long term trends favor leisure markets.
Short term favors covid hotspot arbitrage

I can easily see that by winter, Florida will have subsided as they move back outdoors.

I was also reading about New Yorkers buying florida real estate so they can quarantine there this winter.

Long term, an unknown % of employer-paid travel is going to be replaced by video
Short term, a large % of employer-paid travel has been replaced by video

I'm not saying it is a direct replacement ("I'll zoom instead of going"), but clearly the world has changed for airlines, similar to how
* units of first class mail is down by half since 2000 (blame email & ebills)
* dollars of paper checks is down by half since 2000 (switch to cards & EFTs)

So I'm thinking the long-term trend for being there favors leisure or "bleisure" (today's word of the day)

Last edited:

jass

Reaction score
Jetblue dropping EWR-Boston for September, leaving only United 2x a day.

And I was so excited it was going to be a 3 airline route with the Delta announcement last year. Delta also pulled the route. United sucks :(

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
At this rate, I'd be curious to see if they would ever attempt a flight to Los Angeles from Providence.
Connecticut has much better synergies for JetBlue: NYC Media market, NYC incomes, & a reverse commute for elites along the Metro North RR.

awood91

Reaction score
Connecticut has much better synergies for JetBlue: NYC Media market, NYC incomes, & a reverse commute for elites along the Metro North RR.
This is would be true if New Haven had an airport and Jetblue was starting more flights from there, but their plan is to add capacity from Hartford, which IMO is not especially intertwined with NYC, at all.

Massachoicetts

Reaction score
Flew through Logan Friday and Sunday, it was relatively busy compared to what I have been seeing. Compared to EWR, LGA, GSO... CLT is always busy.

But pleasantly surprised to see Logan as busy as it was. Flying through Logan again tomorrow on AA and hope to see it as busy it has been.

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
This is would be true if New Haven had an airport and Jetblue was starting more flights from there, but their plan is to add capacity from Hartford, which IMO is not especially intertwined with NYC, at all.
Hartford is a good "reverse commute" from Coastal and MNRR CT. If you live in CT and have a morning flight from LGA/HPN , you'll be in "rush direction" traffic getting there, versus a less-rushy trip in/around Hartford

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
I've heard (anectdotally) that UA at ORD is also a zoo these days, with long layovers between flights driving crowding in the airport.

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
I've heard (anectdotally) that UA at ORD is also a zoo these days, with long layovers between flights driving crowding in the airport.
I am not sure it is possible to tell the difference from pre-COVID. UA at ORD has been a zoo for years, with nowhere near enough seating/gate space for passengers waiting. Now it is fewer passengers, but longer waits/connection times, so same poor customer service.

Stlin

Reaction score
I am not sure it is possible to tell the difference from pre-COVID. UA at ORD has been a zoo for years, with nowhere near enough seating/gate space for passengers waiting. Now it is fewer passengers, but longer waits/connection times, so same poor customer service.
Which is mostly a consequence of the massive boom in air travel and densities borne out since the 70s and 80s, when T1, Concourses B&C were built. Besides, in that era airports were bus stations, without much in the way of amenities or security, so there just wasn't that many competing uses of the space. Holdrooms, (gate waiting areas) are, even today, designed for a capacity of 80% of the mean aircraft assigned, as it assumed that at least 20% of passengers will either be somewhere else in the airport, or an unsold seat.

That said, ORD was supposed to be undergoing a massive replacement of Terminal 2, creating the "O'Hare Global Terminal". The main terminal building looks like it's going to be the most stunning terminal in the US, and legitimately of a global standard. The 6 pointed Star skylight, inspired by the city flag of chicago, repeated in each terminal atrium is inspired. I only regret there isn't a third satellite terminal for the fourth star, but the taxiway reconfiguration will create the room needed for both this project and future satellites, and would accomodate reconstruction and integration of T1 B&C replacement.
ohare-airport-studio-ord-studio-gang-news-architecture-chicago-illinois-usa_dezeen_2364_col_1.jpg
globalterminal.jpeg

See this Dezeen article for more pics. Admittedly, the Satellite terminals seem far more pedestrian, but I think those renders are from an earlier competing proposal. but given how well this project integrates Terminals 1 and 3, 1 at C in particular, I'm very excited.
No idea how much this was impacted by Covids thrashing of air travel though. (Is there a thread for airports generally, beyond Logan?)

Last edited:

mass88

Reaction score
See this Dezeen article for more pics. Admittedly, the Satellite terminals seem far more pedestrian, but I think those renders are from an earlier competing proposal. but given how well this project integrates Terminals 1 and 3, 1 at C in particular, I'm very excited.
No idea how much this was impacted by Covids thrashing of air travel though. (Is there a thread for airports generally, beyond Logan?)
That looks really nice. It's too bad Massport didn't get more drastic with Logan and completely rebuild whole terminals, instead of portions. Come 2022, half of terminal E will be brand new, high ceilings, wide concourses while the other half will feel drab in comparison.