Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Emirates has some neat video footage of the A380 landing at BOS on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Emirates/

They also posted this awesome photo of the A380 coming in over Winthrop:

emirates%20a380_zpscyfzavcx.jpg

DL used to operate direct service to FLL. This was about 6-7 years ago.

Ended March 2010, final service was 1x MD-88. It has come and gone as weekend/seasonal service around the December holidays.

Question for anyone familiar. I had to book a last minute flight to PBI over the weekend and long story short, Spirit was the only airline with reasonable fares. I'm not happy about it, but I paid for a "Big Front Seat" (1A) in each direction and it's just my carry-on (which I paid for in advance) to hopefully make what I've heard is a nightmare travel experience just a little bit easier.

My question is this: My flight departs from B-38. These are the old VX gates, correct? Are they still separate from the rest of the terminal, or has the post-security connector been completed? Trying to determine how early I get to the gate. I'm not going early if I'm trapped on an island with nothing but Cosi.

Question for anyone familiar. I had to book a last minute flight to PBI over the weekend and long story short, Spirit was the only airline with reasonable fares. I'm not happy about it, but I paid for a "Big Front Seat" (1A) in each direction and it's just my carry-on (which I paid for in advance) to hopefully make what I've heard is a nightmare travel experience just a little bit easier.

My question is this: My flight departs from B-38. These are the old VX gates, correct? Are they still separate from the rest of the terminal, or has the post-security connector been completed? Trying to determine how early I get to the gate. I'm not going early if I'm trapped on an island with nothing but Cosi.

Yes NK (Spirit) is now operating out of the former Virgin America (before that America West) gate area. B37/38 have their own TSA screening, waiting area and bathrooms behind security however you cannot access the main concourse where AA/UA are located.

I did Spirit once to FLL years ago, more as an airline person wanting to experience their "product". It sounds like you are going in with appropriate expectations and already have paid for a good seat so I wouldn't be overly leery. The only potential area of concern would be irregular operations and their service recovery (or lack thereof) should you face an extended delay. Otherwise bring reading material, download Netflix or Amazon content on a fully charged tablet (there is NO power or wifi) and hope for the best.

Now that it has been posted on Airliners.net, I can finally offically say that Avianca is coming to Boston on June 1st! It will be 4x weekly service to Bogota. This one has been in the works for a long time

Last edited:
Now that it has been posted on Airliners.net, I can finally offically say that Avianca is coming to Boston on June 1st! It will be 4x weekly service to Bogota. This one has been in the works for a long time

Is this confirmed? I noticed on Airliners that they weren't able to book/find it in any of the systems. Hoping it is true!

Is this confirmed? I noticed on Airliners that they weren't able to book/find it in any of the systems. Hoping it is true!

Its not loaded so its not 100% but seems like its going to happen. I would say it will be loaded by the end of the month.

I have a source that says it is going to happen this year. If it is going to happen this year, then it would make a ton of sense to capture the larger summer crowd.

Yes NK (Spirit) is now operating out of the former Virgin America (before that America West) gate area. B37/38 have their own TSA screening, waiting area and bathrooms behind security however you cannot access the main concourse where AA/UA are located.

I did Spirit once to FLL years ago, more as an airline person wanting to experience their "product". It sounds like you are going in with appropriate expectations and already have paid for a good seat so I wouldn't be overly leery. The only potential area of concern would be irregular operations and their service recovery (or lack thereof) should you face an extended delay. Otherwise bring reading material, download Netflix or Amazon content on a fully charged tablet (there is NO power or wifi) and hope for the best.

Thanks. It went fine. I never travel without fully loaded iPad (netflix downloads are a game changer).

Re: Spirit- if the total for a big front seat and a bag (assuming you need more than a personal item) is comparable to other economy fares, I'd actually go with Spirit again. The big front seat is essentially the same as a standard domestic first class seat (though on my A319s, they were well worn). The service is still standard Spirit and you have to pay for food/drinks, but the seat makes up for it. If the seat isn't available, I wouldn't do it. The standard seats look awful. My experience with the ground crew and flight crew was good. I've heard they're terrible with on-time performance and cancellations, but mine went off with out a hitch. I do feel bad for the people who got hit with fees at the gate. I mean they certainly had enough notice, but $100/bag at the gate is brutal.

TL/DR: I'd do it again if I could get the upgraded seats for the same as regular economy on other airlines (which isn't hard). Otherwise- hard pass.

I have a source that says it is going to happen this year. If it is going to happen this year, then it would make a ton of sense to capture the larger summer crowd.

Do you know if its going to be a red-eye? If so which direction?

Both JFK rotations have a red-eye in one direction but the Dulles flight is a non-redye in both directions.

I think a red-eye from Logan may give the best connections in Bogota.

I do not know because the last time we talked about this was around Christmas and he wasn't sure at that point (not sure it was finalized internally). Either way, this is a big win for Logan.

I see Korean Air will finally be getting the 787s, with the first flights planned for March. Could they be looking at Seoul-Boston service at some point? They seem to be the one airline and hub (Seoul/South Korea), at least to me, that would come add Boston.

Also, weren't there rumors of Eva Air coming to Boston? Any chance that Etihad would enter the market, or would they have no chance with the other ME carriers here?

I see Korean Air will finally be getting the 787s, with the first flights planned for March. Could they be looking at Seoul-Boston service at some point? They seem to be the one airline and hub (Seoul/South Korea), at least to me, that would come add Boston.

Also, weren't there rumors of Eva Air coming to Boston? Any chance that Etihad would enter the market, or would they have no chance with the other ME carriers here?

I doubt we'll see Etihad anytime soon. Boston already has Emirates and Qatar. Only LA, DFW, Chicago and NYC have all 3 ME3 carriers. I can't see there being enough traffic to fill upwards of 4 daily flights for most of the year.

Korean Air would be my bet for the next Asian airline to serve Boston. They have a large hub at Incheon to feed into and out of. Boston is easily their biggest hole in the US.

I doubt we'll see Etihad anytime soon. Boston already has Emirates and Qatar. Only LA, DFW, Chicago and NYC have all 3 ME3 carriers. I can't see there being enough traffic to fill upwards of 4 daily flights for most of the year.

Korean Air would be my bet for the next Asian airline to serve Boston. They have a large hub at Incheon to feed into and out of. Boston is easily their biggest hole in the US.

I agree on Etihad, I just know they're aggressive in growth as well. Don't forget Turkish Airways as well.

The O&D business traffic between Boston/New England and Seoul/South Koreal has to be up there as well. Combine that with the large hub at Icheon, I don't see why it wouldn't be a success. A good on-the-ground and in-flight product across all classes, strong brand, great hub, strong brand, and gives SkyTeam/Delta (with their focus hub at Boston) a flight to Asia.

Got to admit, I love the livery of their planes. Might be my favorite in the world. :)

Last edited:
Logan has four Middle Eastern carriers, if you include Turkish (which technically flies to Europe) and El AL (though that is mostly O and D traffic).

Demand for international travel to the US is down bigly since Jan 20.

Youre more likely to see cutbacks than expansions at this point.

Demand for international travel to the US is down bigly since Jan 20.

Youre more likely to see cutbacks than expansions at this point.

Well here's a new expansion on airlineroute.net

AB to run BOS-DUS year round. Will run 4 weekly (x246) for winter.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/271425/airberlin-expands-us-service-in-w17/

Also UA to put a 2nd 777 on BOS-SFO in April.
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38...francisco-boston-777-service-from-april-2017/

Back