Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Thoughts on Delta’s future in Boston with the new Bombardier C-series? It’s the next gen regional jet designed to fly “long, thin” routes. Routes where there is demand, but they are traditionally too long for a regional jet with too few passengers to justify a larger plane. This seems to be a good fit for a lot of borderline routes out of Boston. This could potentially do for domestic routes what the 787 has done for Boston with long haul routes. What’s more is that it could encourage Delta (or partners) to establish more long haul operations here.

We'll have to wait and see until next year what Delta's long term plans are for Boston. Once they get the 5 mainline Southwest gates they should be adding services.

The only glaring Sky Team partner that does not serve Boston if Korean Air - people on various forums, namely airliners.net, feel it's only a matter of time before they re-launch Boston service. Massport also needs to get the project in Terminal E done as well.

I think the C series will just replace the MD80, MD90, and 717 on routes as Delta retires those planes.

We'll have to wait and see until next year what Delta's long term plans are for Boston. Once they get the 5 mainline Southwest gates they should be adding services.

The only glaring Sky Team partner that does not serve Boston if Korean Air - people on various forums, namely airliners.net, feel it's only a matter of time before they re-launch Boston service. Massport also needs to get the project in Terminal E done as well.

Agreed. I'd love to see Korean, and like others, I'm shocked they're not here yet. I'm interested to see what Delta does here in the near future though.

I think the C series will just replace the MD80, MD90, and 717 on routes as Delta retires those planes.

Right, but it wouldn't be prudent to just swap equipment without acknowledging the different capabilities of the new aircraft. The C-Series is a more fuel efficient aircraft with a significantly longer ranger than those three which should definitely open some doors. It's comparable in size to the 717 with a 30%+ longer range. It's smaller than the MD-80/90 and still has a significantly longer range than either of those aircraft (and is still far more efficient). Delta may choose to just swap it and use it on the same routes, but the added range and lower fuel costs could change the feasibility status for certain un/under-served routes. Maybe potential for San Antonio, Albuquerque, Omaha, Calgary, Winnipeg, etc. I think places that were borderline in terms of O&D numbers would become feasible with this aircraft. Especially if there's also an effort to expand long-haul operations in conjunction (meaning increased transfers at BOS as well).

Last edited:
I'm seeing Primera Air advertising all over the internet. Flights in May are now bookable (seeing +/- $300 or so for the most basic fares to/from London Stanstead).

I84vV

How is the AeroMexico route doing?

My dad was on it the other day and he says the flight was less than 40% full. Had a row to himself.

LATAM to Brazil is now bookable effective JULY 1

JJ8164 - GRU 23:55 - 09:10 BOS 763 Sun,Tue,Wed,Fri
JJ8165 - BOS 18:05 - 05:25 GRU 763 Mon,Wed,Thu,Sat

LATAM to Brazil is now bookable effective JULY 1

JJ8164 - GRU 23:55 - 09:10 BOS 763 Sun,Tue,Wed,Fri
JJ8165 - BOS 18:05 - 05:25 GRU 763 Mon,Wed,Thu,Sat

Good connections to other parts of Brazil - I checked Rio/Belo Horizonte/Porto Alegre/Recife/Florianopolis

One needs to choose Buenos Aires Aeroparque Airport instead of Ezeiza to get better connections to there. That airport is closer to city center.

So frontier airlines just ordered 134 aircraft which will more then double their fleet over the next 10 years.

When will they come to BOS, or MHT/PVD.

So frontier airlines just ordered 134 aircraft which will more then double their fleet over the next 10 years.

When will they come to BOS, or MHT/PVD.

They expanded into PVD bigtime this summer with a major announcement. Some routes start next spring (Carolinas)

Orlando is year-round plus seasonal Denver, New Orleans, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Miami, Minneapolis, Fort Myers and Tampa.

They expanded into PVD bigtime this summer with a major announcement. Some routes start next spring (Carolinas)

Orlando is year-round plus seasonal Denver, New Orleans, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Miami, Minneapolis, Fort Myers and Tampa.

It'll be interesting to see if they catch on at PVD. PVD did real well before Southwest and Jetblue brought LCC service to BOS. But after that it declined and I feel like a lot of new service at PVD (especially international stuff) has struggled to take hold. I'm sure some of the Norwegian routes (particularly French Caribbean as they failed at BOS too) will drop off. But hopefully Frontier sticks. PVD is an otherwise great airport.

It was only a matter of time before Frontier made their return to New England - it was a glaring hole in their route network. I was also not surprised they chose PVD. I am sure they will be successful, they seem to be able to get some traction on competitive routes out of airports with a lot more service than PVD.

I am surprised that Frontier doesn't at least have flights to Denver from Logan. I fly to Denver a few times a year and am always surprised by how few non-stops there are especially in the winter when lots of folks are headed there to ski. Not to mention, the flights (especially if you don't want a red eye on the return) are always expensive.

I am surprised that Frontier doesn't at least have flights to Denver from Logan. I fly to Denver a few times a year and am always surprised by how few non-stops there are especially in the winter when lots of folks are headed there to ski. Not to mention, the flights (especially if you don't want a red eye on the return) are always expensive.

There's six flights a day in dead of winter (early Feb). I don't think ski travel makes or breaks Denver flights. People also fly into Aspen, Hayden etc. as well.

United - 3
JetBlue - 2 (only 1 Saturday)
Southwest - 1 (2 on Saturday)

There's six flights a day in dead of winter (early Feb). I don't think ski travel makes or breaks Denver flights. People also fly into Aspen, Hayden etc. as well.

United - 3
JetBlue - 2 (only 1 Saturday)
Southwest - 1 (2 on Saturday)

I know ski travel doesn't make our break it but when I take the flight in the winter (usually Wed/Thur or Fri and return Mon or Tue), it's obvious from boot bags, helmets, performance ski jackets, and other gear carried on board that the number of people going skiing is not insignificant (I'd guestimate 40+ passengers). As for the flight frequency, I guess I just wish there was another return flight or two mid-day. United's returns are both in the morning making it difficult to get to DEN from the mountains that morning. Then their evening one doesn't land until midnight.

How is the AeroMexico route doing?

My dad was on it the other day and he says the flight was less than 40% full. Had a row to himself.

I took the direct Mex City to Boston flight back in August. My flight was fully booked and I did not see an empty seat. My flight was on a Wednesday, not sure if the day of the week plays a role in how full the flight is.

On a side note, I would highly recommend the AeroMexico Boston to Mexico City flight. Free tequila, new plane and a lot of English TV options. The duration was roughly 5 1/2 hours.

On a side note, I would highly recommend the AeroMexico Boston to Mexico City flight. Free tequila, new plane and a lot of English TV options. The duration was roughly 5 1/2 hours.

He usually takes AA via Dallas or Miami (he has lifetime Gold) but was very happy with the Aeromexico flight, aside from an awkward flight time. Aeromexico usually costs more than the AA route, and he doesnt have status, but he said going forward he'll probably pay the premium.

Note that the awkward flight time is due to the Mexico City airport being full, but there building a new airport which will clear that up.

Mexico City is the most underrated North American destination. It is my favorite North American city to visit, mainly because unlike NYC I can afford to go to the fancy restaurants and bars in Mexico City.

Back