Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

We loved Air Tran, Atlanta was it’s biggest hub, from there it seemed they flew everywhere, and at the best prices. Southwest bought em out and basically dismantled it, selling it’s aircraft to Delta for big discounts, and dropping many of it’s routes, along with it’s business class which was so affordable. Having said that, the Air Tran cabin crew were thrilled, their pay skyrocketed when they moved to SW. A personal friend who was an Air Tran flight attendant said he felt like he won the lottery.

AirTran (FL) in it’s day was the low cost producer and operated a rolling hub in ATL that often had prolonged layovers (some exceeding 4 hours) effectively catering to people who placed a low value on their time. They also had some quirky things like AirTran U student standby. It is interesting to see WN re-enter some of the former FL markets like SRQ. WN today is just chasing revenue and retreating from their push to consolidate operations and opening up more co-terminals (see ORD/MDW and FLL/MIA).

There are definitely some WN employees who feel FL hit the lotto getting large pay increases (exceeding 50% in some classifications) and improved job security. Not all that different from the sentiments of nAAtives at AA vis a vis TWA or PMDL employees vis a vis NW.

Southwest schedule extension has a bizarre Sunday only Boston-Kansas City flight starting in November.

Both flights timed to arrive at 5pm so its not the use of a spare plane doing a back and forth run.

Not a back and forth run but could be swapping RONs and/or generating incremental utilization during a valley of inactivity. Agree this is bizarre.

Spirit Airlines’ route-map expansion continues.

On Wednesday, the Miramar, Florida-based carrier announced that it’ll soon touch down in Manchester, New Hampshire (MHT). Daily flights to both Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Orlando (MCO) will take off on Oct. 7.

Later this year, Spirit will add flights from MHT to two more Florida destinations, Fort Myers (RSW) and Tampa (TPA), on Nov. 17 and Nov. 18, respectively.

Glad to see mht getting new flights. It seems like airlines have been cutting back at mht for the past 15 years, so a reversal is nice.

Breeze Airways seeks proposals from European airports

Breeze Airways is looking to tap into underserved markets across the Americas, the Caribbean, and Western Europe. With firm deliveries of 60 Airbus A220-300 aircraft over the next five years, the RFP will support the carrier in identifying new airports to build its network.

This could be huge for the Northeast, especially smaller airports. Long and lean routes have been unsustainable for the most part, but the A220 could change that. I’d love to see connections between smaller U.S. markets and big Europe markets (thinking PVD, BDL, MHT, or even PWM and London, Dublin, etc). As well as vice versa (BOS - smaller markets like Belfast, Glasgow, Cork, Scandanavia, Bilbao, Bordeaux, etc.).

I think itll be Providence to Portugal. Maybe Porto and Madeira?

I was actually just in Portugal, via a 767. Best plane for long flights. You have 3.5 seats per aisle, vs 6 seats per aisle in a 737/757, and only one middle seat per row.

Oh and I had the entire center section to myself, so that was nice

I don’t think I would enjoy a 220 for a transatlantic flight.

I think I'd prefer it to a 737 Max or A321LR/Neo. You'd have the option of sitting on the side with no middle seats (similar to what you can do on the A330 or 767, and a handful of 787 configurations), and the middle seats that do exist are wider than average.

It could be alas a gateway to the much desired Boston-Basel or Geneva

I think that's the interesting component of all of this. It could be either a route like Boston (major U.S. hub) to Basel (mid-size Europe market) or a smaller U.S. market (like PVD) to either a major Europe hub (London) or a popular leisure destination like the Azores. If it's Portugal, I'd imagine Azores before mainland (both because of distance and ties to the region), but could be either.

I was actually just in Portugal, via a 767. Best plane for long flights. You have 3.5 seats per aisle, vs 6 seats per aisle in a 737/757, and only one middle seat per row.

I like the 767 for that reason. My favorite is the A330 - 4 seats per aisle is perfectly comfortable and the plane is a good deal larger. JAL's 787s with their 2x4x2 configuration may be my favorite long haul econ configuration in the sky, but it's a rare one for the Dreamliners.

I could use a Porto flight. Surprised an OPO-BOS/PVD oesn't already exist. Will be interesting to see if this one happens. It would work and I would take it if I can ZED it.

Though I think they are looking to see who would offer free money (i.e subsidies), I think Breeze would be wise to look at some unserved Caribbean-US markets first. I just do not want to see a repeat of Norwegian's growth and implosion. Any of their current destinations to Aruba, Punta Cana, Cancun, Nassau, Puerto Vallarta, or Los Cabos would be a great start.

PVD/BOS-Madeira would be awesome - I would drive (or even do North Shore-North Station-South Station-PVD by public transport) to TF Green to take that flight.

It could be alas a gateway to the much desired Boston-Basel or Geneva

Boston-Geneva - its high yield - those flyers will want two things: 1) Daily frequency 2) Breeze to have interlines with other airlines to rebook passengers when the plane goes tech in Geneva. Even JetBlue would need to have a couple years of success in Europe to pull it off. I know JetBlue is bringing mechanics on their London flights to try to avoid irregular operations but at some point they may have to lean on Icelandair or IAG group airlines for some help when things go wrong. The pandemic did not help the chances of Boston-Geneva as well.

Boston-Basel - yes Novartis, Roche, BASF are headquartered there and its a 3 city airport but it doesn't even have a NYC flight. It does have a seasonal Montreal flight on Air Transat for the Quebec-France VFR.

Though I think they are looking to see who would offer free money (i.e subsidies), I think Breeze would be wise to look at some unserved Caribbean-US markets first. I just do not want to see a repeat of Norwegian's growth and implosion. Any of their current destinations to Aruba, Punta Cana, Cancun, Nassau, Puerto Vallarta, or Los Cabos would be a great start.

PVD/BOS-Madeira would be awesome - I would drive (or even do North Shore-North Station-South Station-PVD by public transport) to TF Green to take that flight.

Boston-Geneva - its high yield - those flyers will want two things: 1) Daily frequency 2) Breeze to have interlines with other airlines to rebook passengers when the plane goes tech in Geneva. Even JetBlue would need to have a couple years of success in Europe to pull it off. I know JetBlue is bringing mechanics on their London flights to try to avoid irregular operations but at some point they may have to lean on Icelandair or IAG group airlines for some help when things go wrong. The pandemic did not help the chances of Boston-Geneva as well.

Boston-Basel - yes Novartis, Roche, BASF are headquartered there and its a 3 city airport but it doesn't even have a NYC flight. It does have a seasonal Montreal flight on Air Transat for the Quebec-France VFR.

boston to basel o/d has more travellers than jfk according to dot stats published towards the end of the airliners.net logan airport 2020.
And yeah i was more referring to the plane itself. Im not sure why either basel or geneva dont have a flight already.

Last edited:
boston to basel o/d has more travellers than jfk according to dot stats published towards the end of the airliners.net logan airport 2020.
And yeah i was more referring to the plane itself. Im not sure why either basel or geneva dont have a flight already.

Do you have that link? I searched airliners and only saw some dicussion on Boston-Basel from 2018. Their search engine is not the greatest.

JetBlue has loaded San Antonio (October 31 start), Milwaukee (March 27 start), and KC (March 27 Start)

All single daily and I've heard all three on A220

Delta
will be resuming the following leisure routes: Aruba, Punta Cana, Montego Bay, Providenciales, Nassau and St Thomas.

Most notable is the Aruba route being 4 weekly which is an increase from single weekly when they last flew it. St Thomas is down a bit. At one point they were almost daily on it.

JetBlue has loaded San Antonio (October 31 start), Milwaukee (March 27 start), and KC (March 27 Start)

All single daily and I've heard all three on A220

Delta
will be resuming the following leisure routes: Aruba, Punta Cana, Montego Bay, Providenciales, Nassau and St Thomas.

Most notable is the Aruba route being 4 weekly which is an increase from single weekly when they last flew it. St Thomas is down a bit. At one point they were almost daily on it.
San Antonio could be a nice alternative for the San Antonio/Austin area folks looking for a direct flight to Boston, and possibly at a better price than ATX TO BOS. San Antonio is mostly Southwest right now, with some others, and the first to Boston and first Jetblue.

Ehh. UA doesn't have enough of a domestic route network to compete for frequent fliers in BOS, so I don't see LHR happening. Could be wrong though.

As Massachoicetts mentioned, UA plans to do this. Believe it or not Boston-London is a larger market than Boston-Las Vegas. Having Star Alliance Membership and being the market leader in San Francisco-Boston, helps UA attract frequent fliers. They also share revenue on anything Transatlantic with Lufthansa Group and Air Canada so its benefits more than just UA. If they actually start London, the only thing missing for them would be an Asian Carrier that is an United/Star partner.

Star or other United partner connections in Heathrow, though probably not going to make or break the flight, are possible. I've also seen inexpensive itineraries with Boston-London with Virgin Atlantic and something like London-Milan with British Airways on one interline ticket so non partner connections could happen too.

As Massachoicetts mentioned, UA plans to do this. Believe it or not Boston-London is a larger market than Boston-Las Vegas. Having Star Alliance Membership and being the market leader in San Francisco-Boston, helps UA attract frequent fliers. They also share revenue on anything Transatlantic with Lufthansa Group and Air Canada so its benefits more than just UA. If they actually start London, the only thing missing for them would be an Asian Carrier that is an United/Star partner.

Star or other United partner connections in Heathrow, though probably not going to make or break the flight, are possible. I've also seen inexpensive itineraries with Boston-London with Virgin Atlantic and something like London-Milan with British Airways on one interline ticket so non partner connections could happen too.
Well... It helps to have a partner hub on a end, ie BA in London for AA and Delta in Boston for Virgin respectively. Honestly, I think this London flight is going to be touch and go; I think there's too much competition on the route, too little feed. AA feeds their own and BA, DL feeds theirs and Virgin, JetBlue hubs here. The only visible competitive advantage / differentiating factor is that this is the only Star option.

That said, if AA can justify flying to London from Raleigh/Durham and the research triangle (though I'm given to understand that particular flight is really about cargo) UA should be able to justify Boston, but if I were UA management I would like to see load factors after about 3 months.

Back