Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Well... It helps to have a partner hub on a end, ie BA in London for AA and Delta in Boston for Virgin respectively. Honestly, I think this London flight is going to be touch and go; I think there's too much competition on the route, too little feed. AA feeds their own and BA, DL feeds theirs and Virgin, JetBlue hubs here. The only visible competitive advantage / differentiating factor is that this is the only Star option.

That said, if AA can justify flying to London from Raleigh/Durham and the research triangle (though I'm given to understand that particular flight is really about cargo) UA should be able to justify Boston, but if I were UA management I would like to see load factors after about 3 months.

I believe AA has had a longstanding contract with GlaxoSmithKline to operate the route. Even still, the Triangle has a good concentration of high tech and biotech companies and offices - these business have a higher propensity to travel than say what you have across the state in Charlotte where a number of banks have their back offices and low level functions housed.

It would be nice to have as many carriers as possible on a route, but I cannot see United making a serious go of the route. They would be joining Delta, America, British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, plus JetBlue launching in 2022.

United is also putting their premium-heavy 767-300ER (46/22/43/56) on LHR.

How is it even legal to operate into Logan after the last Silver Line run?

How is it that Massport, subsidizing the SL doesn’t squeeze several more trips during MBTA last train times (til 12:45a, say)

How is it that Massport would shut sumner Callahan lanes at that hour?

Last night, arriving at 11:55p from DEN, ride shares cost TRIPLE their pre COVID price and took a half hour to arrive. A ride to Medford was quoted at $120 and 12:30a pickup. ($200 to $300 for larger rides) Welcome to Boston.
EC04F7D8-3BD8-469C-A9C3-B3911CD232A0.png

Part of the problem was that Massport had chosen midnight/ish to shut a lane in each direction in the Sumner/Callahan to allow (What appeared to be bidders on a rehab project, since they clustered in groups of ~4 and had differing logos on their safety gear) about 25 people to walk the length of the 2 tunnels, choking off the supply of cars, TNCs, and hotel shuttles.

Result: chaos on the B2 arrivals level

Last edited:

How is it that Massport, subsidizing the SL doesn’t squeeze several more trips during MBTA last train times (til 12:45a, say)

Last night, arriving at 11:55p from DEN, ride shares cost TRIPLE their pre COVID price and took a half hour to arrive. A ride to Medford was quoted at $120 and 12:30a pickup. ($200 to $300 for larger rides) Welcome to Boston.

Part of the problem was that Massport had chosen midnight/ish to shut a lane in each direction in the Sumner/Callahan to allow (What appeared to be bidders on a rehab project, since they clustered in groups of ~4 and had differing logos on their safety gear) about 25 people to walk the length of the 2 tunnels, choking off the supply of cars, TNCs, and hotel shuttles.

Have to agree -- there should be a requirement for RT to/from the airport for ANY SCHEDULED OPERATING HOURS. I understand a plane delay missing the last train, but not scheduled service.

My app showed last SL from Logan trip c.11:59p

I believe that poster is suggesting Shuttle (runs 24 hours a day) to Blue (last Bowdoin bound trip scheduled to depart Airport at 12:39 am) to Orange (last Oak Grove bound trip scheduled to depart Downtown Crossing at 12:47 am).

Edit: I’m also seeing the last Silver Line to South Station departing Terminal B at 1:17 am via the usually reliable Transit App. What gives?

And let’s not forget employees trying to get home. Seems to me SLG & SL1 should keep running till 1:30 (and serve terminals, subway, and Eside hangar area)

Edit: I’m also seeing the last Silver Line to South Station departing Terminal B at 1:17 am via the usually reliable Transit App. What gives?
Maybe there is a run an hour apart? Both Lyft app & Transit app were constructing multi mode, multi seat itineraries and I saw none starting from the airport by transit after midnight (they switch to things like: take a Lyft to North Station and catch a 5am)

Hmm, mbta SL1(741) says I should have been offered (last night/morning I switched to looking for “Park Street” as my destination in the apps, hoping to find transit that’d let me just get off BOS property and access CBD ride share options, knowing that mbta was not going to be my last mile). I got a “SL then walk option c. 12m and saw none of these:

From Logan;
12:04 AM
SL1
South Station

12:19 AM
SL1
South Station

12:34 AM
SL1
South Station

12:47 AM
SL1
South Station

01:02 AM
SL1
South Station

01:17 AM
SL1
South Station

I believe that poster is suggesting Shuttle (runs 24 hours a day) to Blue (last Bowdoin bound trip scheduled to depart Airport at 12:39 am) to Orange (last Oak Grove bound trip scheduled to depart Downtown Crossing at 12:47 am).

Yeah. Should have specifically said subway. The question is could you get to State by the time it closes.

Last edited:
What they should really have is a bus that does a loop between all the terminals, a neighborhood stop in East Boston, Haymarket, and South Station from 1am to 5am.
Getting to early morning flights or early morning jobs at Logan is also tough.

Last edited:
What they should really have is a bus that goes between all the terminals, a neighborhood stop in East Boston, and South Station or Haymarket from 1am to 5am.
Should hit South and North Station to queue up passengers for the first AM departing trains.

What they should really have is a bus that does a loop between all the terminals, a neighborhood stop in East Boston, Haymarket, and South Station from 1am to 5am.
Getting to early morning flights or early morning jobs at Logan is also tough.

They did have a Logan Express between Back Bay and Logan. Peabody one is also shut down 'temporarily'.

The ones remaining have their last leave Logan at 1:15 AM.

They announced late last year

$120... ? Even $40 is too high, way too high, for an uber to Medford...

Boston is the definition of 3x the cost for 1/3 the quality. My Lyft XL was $50 from EWR Airport to near Red Bank NJ earlier this week.

Unbelievable. Boston just makes no sense.

There absolutely should be 24 hour transit service to the airport, at least once every 30 minutes between 1am and 5am.

Getting to South Station is far better than getting nowhere at all

What would you then do at South Station? Not sure what the point would be.

What would you then do at South Station? Not sure what the point would be.
Usually a different (cheaper) set of bus & taxi/TNC. Possible to walk to many hotels. Bikeshare options.

Transit app told me it was an hour to bike home from Logan, which is lame given (1) no bikeshare and lame for most of the Metro area given (2) no way across the Mystic.

But if I were a young backpacker, I could see myself using Blue Bikes from SS

There absolutely should be 24 hour transit service to the airport, at least once every 30 minutes between 1am and 5am.

Getting to South Station is far better than getting nowhere at all

We should not forget about the workers too. They need transit at off hours to get to and from Logan.

Logan can be a pretty busy place after 10 pm.

38 flights are scheduled to land after 10:30 pm
27 flights are scheduled to land after 11 pm
19 flights are scheduled to land after 11:30 pm

Usually a different (cheaper) set of bus & taxi/TNC. Possible to walk to many hotels. Bikeshare options.

Doesn't Massport collect a tax from Rideshare? Seems that would not work in Massport's favor.

Can't imagine the number of people who'd want to bike home at 2 am from Logan is very high.

Back