Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

I doubt you will see Ryanair in Boston. They often fly to secondary airports I suspect the flights will be to either MHT or most likely PVD.

As an aside, Jetblue has announced new San Diego and Aruba flights to Boston. Hopefully, it will bring prices down for those routes.

Here's the latest rundown of new flights from Massport. Up to 37 international destinations from 23 in 2001....pretty impressive.

Massport Announces New Service at Boston Logan
Airlines Adding New European Markets and Seasonal Service to Popular Vacation Destinations

May 2, 2007

The Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport) today announced the latest airline service changes at Boston Logan International Airport. New European destinations set to begin this month include Madrid, Glasgow, and Knock, Ireland, as well as the return of seasonal service to Rome, Lisbon, Stockholm, and the island of Terceira, located off the coast of the Azores. Boston Logan?s $4.4 billion modernization program, including new terminals, parking facilities, roadways and airport concessions, has transformed the airport into a world-class facility capable of meeting the needs of local travelers and businesses in the 21st Century.

Beginning on May 6, Iberia Airlines will begin offering 5 weekly flights to Madrid, Spain on Airbus A340 aircraft, and on May 25, the airline flyGlobespan will begin 5 weekly flights to Glasgow, Scotland on Boeing 737 aircraft and seasonal service, twice weekly, to Knock, Ireland, and continuing to Glasgow, starting May 29.

Seasonal service starting in June includes Finnair with 3 weekly flights to Stockholm and SATA service to Lisbon twice a week and Terceira weekly. In July, Alitalia will begin 5 weekly flights to Rome. Seasonal service ending includes flights to Mexico City and Grand Cayman.

?We?re very happy to welcome our new airline partners Iberia and flyGlobespan to Logan and we look forward to working closely with them as they grow their services and provide a quality product for New England travelers,? said Edward C. Freni, Aviation Director at Massport. ?The growth in seasonal service is an indicator that the leisure travel market remains healthy and that the airline industry considers Boston an important city to serve.?

Boston Logan serves as the gateway to the six-state New England region with a population of over 14 million and offers nonstop service to 79 domestic and 37 international destinations. Boston Logan also has more low fare flights than any airport in New England and in 2006 handled nearly 28 million passengers.

On the negative side, it looks like Aeromexico is pulling out of Boston. Cayman Airways has also stopped its service but is posted as seasonal, so hopefully they will be back.

Airline to offer nonstop: Hub-Dominican Republic
August 15, 2007
THE REGION

JetBlue Airways Corp. will offer the only nonstop service from Boston to Santiago, Dominican Republic, between Dec. 12 and Jan. 15, on flights that arrive and leave from the Dominican capital in the wee hours of the morning. Fares start at $218 round trip, with tickets going on sale at noon today, JetBlue said. Flights, on 150-seat jets, will leave Logan International Airport at 11:10 p.m., arrive at 3:55 a.m. in Santiago and leave for the return trip at 4:50 a.m., arriving in Boston at 7:50 a.m. Travel from Boston to Santiago now normally requires changing planes at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York or Miami International Airport. (Peter J. Howe)

Link

B-787 Story

Did anyone see the story in the Friday, September 14, Globe, Business Section on the B-787 Dreamliner, "A Jet to Help Boston's Dreams Take Off"

It implies that with B-787 service from Boston non-stop to the far east {China, Japan} and even India was possible with a full load of passengers and cargo ? what an airline needs to make a profitable route

The story also suggested Argentina and South Africa as potential Logan non-stop routes

Now all we need are the airlines who have decided to buy B-787 and who have an interest in flying to the Far East from the US east coast to pick Boston as a end-point of a route ? and we?ll be able to achieve nirvana ? i.e. a ?3 seat ride? from Alewife T stop to any continent that matters
8)

Westy

It is wishful thinking that Boston will get nonstops to so many Asian cities. I don't think the demand is there yet. However, the most promising B787 route for the Boston will be Tokyo.

Two more flight additions to note, by Delta:

Both Saturday Only
Boston-New Orleans 0830-1101 Canadair Regional Jet
New Orleans-Boston 1600-2010 Canadair Regional Jet

Boston-Sarasota 0900-1210 McDonnell Douglas MD88(Shuttle Layout)
Sarasota-Boston 1300-1605 McDonnell Douglas MD88(Shuttle Layout)

Also, Continental started flying out of Terminal A(Delta Terminal) yesterday.

Meanwhile, a subtraction: JetBlue is discontinuing service between Boston and Columbus, effective some time in January. I'll miss them.

Actually Ron, JetBlue is entirely pulling out of Columbus, as they are in Nashville and if I remember correctly both are still covered by American and Delta so it's really not a huge loss.

USAirways is also adding seasonal flights to Punta Cana, Montego Bay and Nassau.

I think JetBlue provided the only nonstops to Columbus. They certainly had the most comfortable trips.

(My family lives in Columbus, so I make this trip a couple of times each year. My last one in July was my first on JetBlue, and I really enjoyed it.)

Last edited:
Nope, Delta flies three flights per day and American has one although before they reduced their Boston operation it was more like five per day. Columbus is an alright place but aside from minimal business ties there can't be a whole lot of traffic between the two cities.

US Airway?s to Begin Service to the Grand Cayman Islands at Boston Logan International Airport

November 13, 2007

The Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport) announced today that starting January 12, 2008 US Airways will begin offering weekly service on Saturdays between Boston Logan International Airport and the Grand Cayman Islands on Airbus A319 aircraft.

http://www.massport.com/about/press_news_Cayman.html

Three continents down, four more to go....

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 4:43 PM EST
Logan will get direct air service to China
Boston Business Journal - by Naomi R. Kooker Journal staff

Boston will have direct flights to China sometime in 2009 through Grand China Air.

Grand China Air, the rebranded name of Hainan Airlines Group, plans to fly directly from Boston's Logan International Airport to Beijing, according to Eugene Hartigan, a member of the Governor's Commission on Asian American Affairs.

The service will be non-stop 13-hour, 20-minute flights on Boeing 787 planes. The service hinges on Boeing delivering the aircraft on time, said Hartigan, who owns and operates GB Group, an international business consulting group.

The start date and frequency are still up in the air, though it is scheduled to begin sometime in 2009.

Naomi R. Kooker can be reached at nkooker@bizjournals.com

http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2007/11/26/daily28.html

It's too bad Boston will have to settle for that crapshoot of an airline, the Southwest of China. With Boston being one of the largest unserved markets to China, including both Shanghai and Beijing, one would have thought Patrick, Kinton & Co. would have lobbied the infinitely superior Air China.

It's not a definite either. Today's article about Deval Patrick's trip to Beijing has mentioned that he met with Hainan Airlines executives to try and convince them to start the flight. At this stage, any flights to Asia would be great.

Any word on the direct flight to Tel Aviv?

I doubt it's going to happen. El Al would have no problem filling the planes most days but I doubt there is enough premium traffic and there's no chance in hell of any American carrier jumping on the route.

I remember seeing El Al listed as a carrier (I also seem to remember there being a counter) in Terminal E in the late 80s early 90s, and a friend later telling me that they flew between Boston and Tel Aviv via New York. When did they stop flying to Boston?

Back