Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

I'd say the Globe nailed it.
Both in the headline: "the gigantic planes don’t fly here — and might not ever again"
and in the body:
It’s possible that Emirates or British Airways could bring the A380 back to Boston for the 2022 summer season, which begins in March and ends in October.

So far, British Airways has scheduled A380 flights to Los Angeles and Miami starting in December, joined by San Francisco in March, according to schedule data provided by Cirium, an airline data company. Emirates has already resumed A380 service to Dulles International Airport near Washington, D.C., New York City’s JFK Airport, and Los Angeles International Airport, and has scheduled A380 service to San Francisco starting in February, according to Cirium data.
In hindsight, it still might have been better to tell carriers: send us a second 777 or A350 if you'd have been tempted to send 1 A380.

I'd say the Globe nailed it.
Both in the headline: "the gigantic planes don’t fly here — and might not ever again"
and in the body:

In hindsight, it still might have been better to tell carriers: send us a second 777 or A350 if you'd have been tempted to send 1 A380.

Fair enough, though that article got a lot of flak (deserved, in my opinion) for how long it took to mention that the A380 stopped flying here because of the pandemic. It came off as fairly hysterical, as though Massport built a total white elephant while ignoring that the A380 was used seasonally until Covid hit, and now will be coming back, hence, I think, the snarky reference towards it.

Last edited:
A new “Play” airline is starting low-cost Boston to Iceland flights Spring 2022. Their plan is to basically copy the WOW playbook, but leave out the overaggressive long-term-viability-killing bits (like expansions beyond their core market).

I'll probably snag one of the introductory fares. I flew WOW on their 2nd to last flight back to Boston. These planes are barebones and not particularly wonderful, but it's a quick hop and Iceland is wonderful.

Some expansion for American out of Boston.

In Boston, American today announced new nonstop service operated on Embraer E175 aircraft between Boston and:

• Halifax, Nova Scotia (YHZ): 1x weekly.
  • Louisville, Kentucky (SDF): Up to daily.
  • Memphis, Tennessee (MEM): Up to daily.
  • Pensacola, Florida (PNS): 1x weekly.
  • Traverse City, Michigan (TVC): 1x weekly.

In Boston, American today announced new nonstop service operated on Embraer E175 aircraft between Boston and:

Never thought it would be AA doing Louisville!! Cool to see them try Pensacola aka "Floribama"

Also JetBlue loaded Boston-Vancouver and Boston-Asheville which was previously announced. Both single daily and seasonal for summer 2022 with start date of 6/16/2022. Vancouver-Boston leg will be a red-eye.

Both JFK and Boston will be red-eye flights back from Vancouver.

It will be very interesting to see what ends up happening with the alliance i the coming months with the scrutiny it is facing.

There's also a reference in there to:

These new routes follow recently announced American routes from BOS to Columbus, Ohio (CMH); Cincinnati (CVG); Indianapolis (IND); Wilmington, North Carolina (ILM); STL; and Toronto (YYZ).

I must have missed that announcement because those are new to me

There's also a reference in there to:

These new routes follow recently announced American routes from BOS to Columbus, Ohio (CMH); Cincinnati (CVG); Indianapolis (IND); Wilmington, North Carolina (ILM); STL; and Toronto (YYZ).

I must have missed that announcement because those are new to me

Rather than discus air service to Logan in the capital projects thread, I'll reply to you in here. Aer Lingus had plans to launch non-stop flights from Manchester to Boston, but delayed their start due to the pandemic and as of right now, they will not be launching in 2022.

Rather than discus air service to Logan in the capital projects thread, I'll reply to you in here. Aer Lingus had plans to launch non-stop flights from Manchester to Boston, but delayed their start due to the pandemic and as of right now, they will not be launching in 2022.

Too bad. Manchester is a GREAT destination. I enjoyed it much more than London.

What happened to the flights to Boston by El Al, Royal Air Maroc, and Hainan Airlines???
Not sure about others, but the Boston-Beijing flight by Hainan Airlines is extremely unlikely to return anytime soon.

International flights into China are now severely limited due to local Covid policies and testing/quarantine capacities. In addition, the US demands an equal number of US-China flights operated by US airlines and Chinese airlines. So unless any of the US airlines decide to add a flight to China (unlikely), and it gets approved (also unlikely), it won't happen.

Either that, or you wait for China to start opening up. Good luck with that.

What happened to the flights to Boston by El Al, Royal Air Maroc, and Hainan Airlines???

COVID played a large role. El Al seems to have ceased Boston and not given any update on when/if they will return. Delta will begin non-stop flights to Tel Aviv this year, so it won't be a total loss of service to Israel. Royal Air Maroc never had a large North American network - just to Boston, New York JFK, Miami, Montreal and Washington Dulles. Boston was dropped and I don't believe they have returned to Miami just yet.

It will be interesting to see if China Eastern would begin non-stop service from Boston to Shanghai. Given Delta's large buildup in Boston, and the loss of service, it could be something we see happen in 2023.

Last edited:
COVID played a large role. El Al seems to have ceased Boston and not given any update on when/if they will return. Delta will begin non-stop flights to Tel Aviv this year, so it won't be a total loss of service to Israel. Royal Air Maroc never had a large North American network - just to Boston, New York JFK, Miami, Montreal and Washington Dulles. Boston was dropped and I don't believe they have returned to Miami just yet.

It will be interesting to see if China Eastern would begin non-stop service from Boston to Shanghai. Given Delta's large buildup in Boston, and the loss of service, it could be something we see happen in 2023.

El Al may be coming back - Station Manager and Sales Rep jobs have recently been posted.

Back