Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

I agree with JD Powers who gives Jet Blue top ratings!

Different methodologies will produce different results. Anything that weighs on-time performance and cancellations heavily is probably going to drag JetBlue way down, even if satisfaction with the overall product remains high.

That may be but in reality their hard product is nothing special and there are charter operators like Omni and National that could pick up the slack. Maybe they could even work out a deal with Aer Lingus which currently has all its A330-200s parked. I would think it’s more important to their customers to get where they’re going than be hugely inconvenienced just to have a certain experience for the short amount of time they’re in the air. We’re talking about Boston to London here after all, not Newark to Singapore. JetBlue’s MO has earned them the distinction of being America’s worst airline so they should probably start doing the opposite of what they’ve been doing.
Wasn't it Aer Lingus who contracted with Omni for a summer a few years ago? I feel like people were less than impressed with that, and Aer Lingus is an established carrier, had no competition at the time (IIRC), and wasn't trying to establish themselves in a critical new market.

That may be but in reality their hard product is nothing special and there are charter operators like Omni and National that could pick up the slack. Maybe they could even work out a deal with Aer Lingus which currently has all its A330-200s parked. I would think it’s more important to their customers to get where they’re going than be hugely inconvenienced just to have a certain experience for the short amount of time they’re in the air. We’re talking about Boston to London here after all, not Newark to Singapore. JetBlue’s MO has earned them the distinction of being America’s worst airline so they should probably start doing the opposite of what they’ve been doing.

Realistically, it's probably a combination of several factors. Demand might still be softer than they want for their launch. Chartering is hardly ideal if your marketing centers on the hard product at competitive prices. It's even less ideal if you're flying an A330-200 on the route with surging fuel prices and soft demand. And finally, the airline has had to cull flights this summer just to keep from melting down. Leasing an aircraft to launch a new transatlantic route seems counterintuitive. Especially if initial demand is soft.

MINT (the hard product, anyway), may be "nothing special" compared to AA, BA, DL, VS, etc. but JetBlue's not really marketing it as being better than any of those. Their pitch is that their MINT fares will be significantly lower and open up a premium experience to passengers who normally wouldn't be able to touch it on another airline. I bailed on JetBlue a while ago and now only reluctantly fly them when there aren't other options, but it's hard to argue that they haven't been successful with the MINT strategy so far. It really doesn't matter to many potential customers that VS Upper Class is comparable to or better than MINT if it costs 2-3x as much for a seat.

Delta is adding non-stop service to Phoenix starting in December at once daily using a 739.

Boston to Phoenix leaves at 8:00 am and arrive at 12:14 pm
Phoenix to Boston leaves at 11:45 pm and arrives at 6:54 am

No official press release, a user in the Delta network thread over on Airliners.net posted it. Flights are bookable.

Between Denver, Baltimore/Washington, San Diego, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and Kansas City either recently starting, or due to start, Houston is the only hole in what has become a solid domestic network for Delta.

I didn't see any press release about this, but I'm seeing a couple BOS-MSN (Madison, WI) direct trips on Aug 21 and Aug 24. Looks like both AA and Delta are offering them. Not sure if this is some one-time back-to-school flight or some one-off repositioning of aircraft, but I do hope someone can pick up this route going forward.

I didn't see any press release about this, but I'm seeing a couple BOS-MSN (Madison, WI) direct trips on Aug 21 and Aug 24. Looks like both AA and Delta are offering them. Not sure if this is some one-time back-to-school flight or some one-off repositioning of aircraft, but I do hope someone can pick up this route going forward.

Epic Software annual User's Group Meeting. Its a big healthcare software firm and they are in person this year. United also ran flights for this pre-COVID on Boston-Madison.

Sun Country planned the route before the pandemic at 2 weekly. Not sure if they ever launched it.

Epic Software annual User's Group Meeting. Its a big healthcare software firm and they are in person this year. United also ran flights for this pre-COVID on Boston-Madison.

Sun Country planned the route before the pandemic at 2 weekly. Not sure if they ever launched it.

Sadly Sun Country scrapped the route along with several others after running flights for 2-3 weeks. Seems like there hasn't been demand to support it ever since.

I’ve seen some flights departing from gates e1a and e8a on FlightAware. Does anyone know what these gates are? Also some united flights from london arrive at some weird gates like nc3

I’ve seen some flights departing from gates e1a and e8a on FlightAware. Does anyone know what these gates are? Also some united flights from london arrive at some weird gates like nc3

E1A officially still exists as the easternmost gate in Terminal E, in the area of the C-E connector amid what used to be the domestic E gates in the former Terminal D area (most of which are now in Terminal C). It doesn't appear to be a fully-functional gate on Google satellite views, and given that I know Cape Air has used it at times in the past, it might be a non-jetbridge gate and/or used for bussing to stands.

E8A, unlike E1A, doesn't appear on the Massport terminal map. I know there used to be an E8A gate designated (in the vicinity of what's now the A380 gates) back before the gates were renumbered during one of the renovations, so either there's still an unmarked E8A somewhere or its a FlightAware glitch.

NC3 (or, well, anything NC) isn't a gate as such, it's a hard stand in the North Cargo area near the general aviation ramp on the other side of the taxiway northwest of Terminal E. Some of the international heavies do wind up out there. I believe in such cases the passengers are bussed to the terminal, though I couldn't say if those operations are a capacity thing, a cost thing, or both.

E1A officially still exists as the easternmost gate in Terminal E, in the area of the C-E connector amid what used to be the domestic E gates in the former Terminal D area (most of which are now in Terminal C). It doesn't appear to be a fully-functional gate on Google satellite views, and given that I know Cape Air has used it at times in the past, it might be a non-jetbridge gate and/or used for bussing to stands.

E8A, unlike E1A, doesn't appear on the Massport terminal map. I know there used to be an E8A gate designated (in the vicinity of what's now the A380 gates) back before the gates were renumbered during one of the renovations, so either there's still an unmarked E8A somewhere or its a FlightAware glitch.

NC3 (or, well, anything NC) isn't a gate as such, it's a hard stand in the North Cargo area near the general aviation ramp on the other side of the taxiway northwest of Terminal E. Some of the international heavies do wind up out there. I believe in such cases the passengers are bussed to the terminal, though I couldn't say if those operations are a capacity thing, a cost thing, or both.
I just remembered that last time I was at terminal E I saw a weird door in between e8 and e9 labels e8a. It had no podium and only a sign saying E8A. Does anyone know how and when this is used?

I just remembered that last time I was at terminal E I saw a weird door in between e8 and e9 labels e8a. It had no podium and only a sign saying E8A. Does anyone know how and when this is used?

Not sure, but I found a reference to the then-Gate E6 (presently E8) as having already-in-place infrastructure for bussing to remote stands, so E8A might be that area's new designation. (On the Google satellite views it does kind of look like there's a bus stop-looking thing between E8 and E9, though I don't know if that's what that thing actually is.)

Not sure, but I found a reference to the then-Gate E6 (presently E8) as having already-in-place infrastructure for bussing to remote stands, so E8A might be that area's new designation. (On the Google satellite views it does kind of look like there's a bus stop-looking thing between E8 and E9, though I don't know if that's what that thing actually is.)
Ok thanks

Does anyone know why DL 9961 to jfk is leaving from terminal E today? And for some reason it’s a 767

Attachments

• 61E5F383-BA1E-49DC-80F2-D69F5078E4DF.jpeg
    61E5F383-BA1E-49DC-80F2-D69F5078E4DF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
  • DCED8B40-805B-4C0E-A545-5039208B99C2.jpeg
    DCED8B40-805B-4C0E-A545-5039208B99C2.jpeg
    641.3 KB · Views: 62
Does anyone know why DL 9961 to jfk is leaving from terminal E today? And for some reason it’s a 767
Sounds like an aircraft and crew move.

They had an international 767 come into Logan that is needed at JFK for an outbound flight.

I think so, because the O/D for that flight number is all over the place.

DL123 EDI-BOS diverted to SNN yesterday, and the same plane flew JFK-SNN-BOS last night and today. Kind of curious they operated to E though from SNN though.

N193DN operating DL123 EDI-BOS diverted to SNN yesterday and is still at Shannon scheduled to operate SNN-JFK tomorrow as DL9960. N1603 was dispatched early this morning from JFK to SNN and operated SNN-BOS as DL9887, and then BOS-JFK as DL9961. That's the one that wound up at Terminal E. They left SNN within the time when Shannon's preclearance operation is still open, though not knowing specifically how that works I can't say whether or not it's feasible for a diverted flight to take advantage of that facility. If not, that'd explain why they wound up at E. (I.e., does SNN preclearance have the capacity to handle an unexpected extra 767's worth of passengers who weren't even supposed to be in Ireland but for the diversion? Some other technical issue at SNN?) Alternatively, DL123 from Edinburgh is supposed to get in at 2:05 PM and the replacement flight from SNN got in at 5:00 PM or so; there's only so many widebody-capable gates at A, and while I'm not familiar enough with Delta's Boston schedule to know the answer, is it possible that there just wasn't free space for an extra 767 at A? (After all, being a replacement it apparently headed back to JFK empty if the 99XX-series flight number is anything to go by, so it's not like it'd matter if it left from E once it'd dropped the diverted passengers off.)

Back