Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

N193DN operating DL123 EDI-BOS diverted to SNN yesterday and is still at Shannon scheduled to operate SNN-JFK tomorrow as DL9960. N1603 was dispatched early this morning from JFK to SNN and operated SNN-BOS as DL9887, and then BOS-JFK as DL9961. That's the one that wound up at Terminal E. They left SNN within the time when Shannon's preclearance operation is still open, though not knowing specifically how that works I can't say whether or not it's feasible for a diverted flight to take advantage of that facility. If not, that'd explain why they wound up at E. (I.e., does SNN preclearance have the capacity to handle an unexpected extra 767's worth of passengers who weren't even supposed to be in Ireland but for the diversion? Some other technical issue at SNN?) Alternatively, DL123 from Edinburgh is supposed to get in at 2:05 PM and the replacement flight from SNN got in at 5:00 PM or so; there's only so many widebody-capable gates at A, and while I'm not familiar enough with Delta's Boston schedule to know the answer, is it possible that there just wasn't free space for an extra 767 at A? (After all, being a replacement it apparently headed back to JFK empty if the 99XX-series flight number is anything to go by, so it's not like it'd matter if it left from E once it'd dropped the diverted passengers off.)
So was the SNN-BOS empty?

So was the SNN-BOS empty?
Ok so I just looked It up and 99xx numbers are ferry flights (repositioning of aircraft) so an empty flight and 98xx is charter. Anyone know why it was a charter?

N193DN operating DL123 EDI-BOS diverted to SNN yesterday and is still at Shannon scheduled to operate SNN-JFK tomorrow as DL9960. N1603 was dispatched early this morning from JFK to SNN and operated SNN-BOS as DL9887, and then BOS-JFK as DL9961. That's the one that wound up at Terminal E. They left SNN within the time when Shannon's preclearance operation is still open, though not knowing specifically how that works I can't say whether or not it's feasible for a diverted flight to take advantage of that facility. If not, that'd explain why they wound up at E. (I.e., does SNN preclearance have the capacity to handle an unexpected extra 767's worth of passengers who weren't even supposed to be in Ireland but for the diversion? Some other technical issue at SNN?) Alternatively, DL123 from Edinburgh is supposed to get in at 2:05 PM and the replacement flight from SNN got in at 5:00 PM or so; there's only so many widebody-capable gates at A, and while I'm not familiar enough with Delta's Boston schedule to know the answer, is it possible that there just wasn't free space for an extra 767 at A? (After all, being a replacement it apparently headed back to JFK empty if the 99XX-series flight number is anything to go by, so it's not like it'd matter if it left from E once it'd dropped the diverted passengers off.)

It all sounds very sinister and mysterious. I expect the next J6 hearing will drop the bombshell that Trump and Putin are behind it as they double down on their effort to overthrow "Our Democracy". LOL.

Just a stupid lowbrow joke, people, similar to the one I recently posted about the proposed Boston food barrier. Please don't have a conniption.

Ok so I just looked It up and 99xx numbers are ferry flights (repositioning of aircraft) so an empty flight and 98xx is charter. Anyone know why it was a charter?

Certainly not all DL charters are 98xx (the sports charters usually start with 8). That said, in this case 9877 was almost certainly the replacement for DL123, the Edinburgh-Boston flight that diverted to Shannon yesterday. That aircraft, I presume, was dispatched from JFK to 'rescue' the otherwise-stranded Edinburgh-Boston passengers, so I'm assuming 9877 was filled with 123's passengers, because the aircraft that diverted is still in Shannon. The subsequent BOS-JFK flight, 9961, was presumably an empty positioning flight returning the aircraft to JFK.

It all sounds very sinister and mysterious. I expect the next J6 hearing will drop the bombshell that Trump and Putin are behind it as they double down on their effort to overthrow "Our Democracy". LOL.

Just a stupid lowbrow joke, people, similar to the one I recently posted about the proposed Boston food barrier. Please don't have a conniption.

No, no, given that the original flight DL123 originated in the UK, it's obvious that Boris Johnson's seeing what's happened in Sri Lanka and has decided to get the hell out of Britain before it happens to him :ROFLMAO:

Thought it might be best if discuss the JetBlue and Spirit merger in this thread since it will relates to air service at Logan. Something tells me this is going to ruin the JetBlue/American alliance they've been building up over the last year or so. From a logistics standpoint at Logan, Spirit's two gates are now joined with terminal C now that the B to C connector is just about done. So assuming this all goes through, they wouldn't have to worry about changing terminals most likely.

Home | JetBlue + Spirit (lowfaresgreatservice.com)

Thought it might be best if discuss the JetBlue and Spirit merger in this thread since it will relates to air service at Logan. Something tells me this is going to ruin the JetBlue/American alliance they've been building up over the last year or so. From a logistics standpoint at Logan, Spirit's two gates are now joined with terminal C now that the B to C connector is just about done. So assuming this all goes through, they wouldn't have to worry about changing terminals most likely.

Home | JetBlue + Spirit (lowfaresgreatservice.com)
No but they will have to move the check in to C

From this article, its sounds as if Spirit would be merged into the B6 operation and the separate branding would go away:

"If approved, the combined carrier would be led by Hayes and remain headquartered in New York under the JetBlue brand. Spirit’s brand would eventually disappear."

omething tells me this is going to ruin the JetBlue/American alliance they've been building up over the last year or so.

I'd be a bit surprised if the Feds allowed them to keep the NEA after adding Spirit. That seems like just the kind of forced-dissolution 'concession' that DOT/DOJ would require as a merger condition, but I suppose we'll see.

Good point. I read on twitter (fwiw) that Spirit would give up their 2 gates in Boston assuming this goes through.

I understand that the plan is that JetBlue and Spirit will operate independently until the merger closes (and probably for a bit afterwards, at least internally, operational integration isn't the fastest process) so we probably wouldn't see immediate changes. It absolutely wouldn't surprise me if JetBlue ultimately gave up the 2 B gates, because it'd make much more sense for them to be consolidated in C, and with the amount of overlapping routes that'd be pruned down, I doubt they'd be unable to handle it with their existing gates.

I'm hoping we get JetBlue non-stops from Logan to MYR after the merger.

Given that Spirit's running that route twice a day a lot of the time, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the merged JetBlue keep the route (though they might relegate it to one of the nasty Embraers).

Given that Spirit's running that route twice a day a lot of the time, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the merged JetBlue keep the route (though they might relegate it to one of the nasty Embraers).

ACY is a Spirit base, so I suspect the flight will remain operated by Spirit crews and equipment until integration (or the base is closed) so they can work other flights out of BOS (ACY-BOS-DEN-BOS-ACY), especially if they are focusing on the B6 network. Ex-America West crews used to do on the east coast (some BOS-CLT flights were ex-HP I think).

I could also see the A319s accelerating the E190 retirements.

Last edited:
JetBlue hasn't proposed eliminating the northeast alliance. However I see that as a negotiation tactic, not giving the best offer up right away.

I agree that there's no way that the northeast alliance survives with this merger going through.

Frankly, the northeast alliance is worse for airfare competition (at least in Boston) than this merger.

JetBlue hasn't proposed eliminating the northeast alliance. However I see that as a negotiation tactic, not giving the best offer up right away.

I agree that there's no way that the northeast alliance survives with this merger going through.

Frankly, the northeast alliance is worse for airfare competition (at least in Boston) than this merger.

Oh, they were never going to give it up proactively. I'm sure that if they could find a way to eat Spirit while keeping the NEA they'd do it in a heartbeat, precisely because its detrimental impact to fare competition was the point. Its elimination seems like just the kind of thing that DOJ and DOT would insist on as condition of approving the Spirit merger, because (less dishonestly than usual) they could use that condition to argue that it'll bring more competition.

It's interesting, because on the one hand NK's demise takes a competitor out of the LCC/ULCC space, but a beefed-up JetBlue is better positioned to compete with the legacies (and Southwest) that already have benefitted from consolidation. (Frontier, notably, didn't seem that unhappy that their efforts to eat Spirit failed, probably because they understand it's not a bad thing for them that their most direct competitor in the ULCC space is going away.)

I noticed from curiosity that Delta is starting nonstop between Detroit and a couple of their other hubs and Honolulu. Would Boston be considered for that? It would be nice for another option aside from Hawaiian Airlines

I noticed from curiosity that Delta is starting nonstop between Detroit and a couple of their other hubs and Honolulu. Would Boston be considered for that? It would be nice for another option aside from Hawaiian Airlines

It would appear as though Hawaiian does somewhat well with their Boston service. I cannot imagine the Boston to Hawaii route could sustain two carriers. For reference, NYC, between JFK and Newark, have 2 flights with United to Newark, daily, and Hawaiian to JFK daily. I believe Delta is set to resume non-stop service to JFK soon.

Detroit has the ability to connect people from the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, plus a portion of the Midwest.
Atlanta can easily connect the entire Southeast.
Salt Lake City can connect everything to the east.

Boston on the other hand is not a convenient connection for almost the entire country the wat Atlanta, Detroit, and Salt Lake City are.

It would appear as though Hawaiian does somewhat well with their Boston service. I cannot imagine the Boston to Hawaii route could sustain two carriers. For reference, NYC, between JFK and Newark, have 2 flights with United to Newark, daily, and Hawaiian to JFK daily. I believe Delta is set to resume non-stop service to JFK soon.

Detroit has the ability to connect people from the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, plus a portion of the Midwest.
Atlanta can easily connect the entire Southeast.
Salt Lake City can connect everything to the east.

Boston on the other hand is not a convenient connection for almost the entire country the wat Atlanta, Detroit, and Salt Lake City are.

Agreed. The only caveat (to me, anyway) would be if Delta saw some value in Boston as a Delta/Skyteam connection point for Europe-Hawaii passengers in addition to the local market. But I doubt it since the same connecting options exist via their hubs ATL, DTW, JFK, MSP, LAX, SEA, and SLC.

Delta also don't have a ton of spare widebody capacity in the summer and in the winter the seasonal routes don't operate to generate connections.
The timings would also likely require overnight and/or very long connections at BOS.

Nice Globe article about the inaugural JetBlue flight from Boston to London Gatwick this week (except the parts about burrata... it's supposed to be runny!). Sounds like the Boston to London-Heathrow route begins next month.

Delta is making some additions and tweaks to their international service in Boston.

San Juan - New seasonal service has been added. From December 17 to April 23rd they will run 1 daily flight
Athens - 2023 seasonal run will be at 4 weekly (running at 3 weekly this year)
Rome - 2023 seasonal service will begin 3 weeks earlier than it did this year. 2023 service will now run from March 8, 2023 until September 15, 2023.

Last edited:

Back