Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Did we miss this? DL* to fly BOS-HPN 3x starting in October:
I flew BOS-HPN on AA* (prop plane) back in the Business Express days. I gotta say that if you're going anyplace in Westchester (except along the New Haven Line) that HPN is the best way to get there. How come JetBlue didn't try this first?

Did we miss this? DL* to fly BOS-HPN 3x starting in October:
I flew BOS-HPN on AA* (prop plane) back in the Business Express days. I gotta say that if you're going anyplace in Westchester (except along the New Haven Line) that HPN is the best way to get there. How come JetBlue didn't try this first?

Maybe equipment? Delta's e170 and e175 have between 69 and 76 seats in a two class configuration. Jetblue's e190 has about 100 seats and there are 140 in a single class configuration on the A220. Between the smaller capacity and the premium cabin, Delta's probably better equipped to attempt to make a potentially lean (but business-heavy) route work.

The flight timing is odd. Not super useful to connect to their Europe banks or commute to Boston.

07:30 BOS - HPN 09:00
10:45 BOS - HPN 12:14
16:30 BOS - HPN 18:00

09:45 HPN - BOS 11:15
12:59 HPN - BOS 14:29
18:45 HPN - BOS 20:10

The flight timing is odd. Not super useful to connect to their Europe banks or commute to Boston.

07:30 BOS - HPN 09:00
10:45 BOS - HPN 12:14
16:30 BOS - HPN 18:00

09:45 HPN - BOS 11:15
12:59 HPN - BOS 14:29
18:45 HPN - BOS 20:10
The 14:29 BOS arrival connects well to their 16:55 departure for AMS
The 20:10 BOS arrival connects well to their 22:35 departure to CDG

I'm completely out of my depth here so this is a question I honestly don't know the answer to, but is there a big cache of travelers that would opt for a one-stop flight to Europe out of Westchester via Boston rather than driving to JFK (or even Newark) for a nonstop?

I'm completely out of my depth here so this is a question I honestly don't know the answer to, but is there a big cache of travelers that would opt for a one-stop flight to Europe out of Westchester via Boston rather than driving to JFK (or even Newark) for a nonstop?
Given my experience in metro NY traffic, the connection via BOS will be faster (or at least neutral) for the traveler versus trying to cut across NYC to get to JFK.

Those Westchester flights are being marketed as European connection options.

Given my experience in metro NY traffic, the connection via BOS will be faster (or at least neutral) for the traveler versus trying to cut across NYC to get to JFK.

Those Westchester flights are being marketed as European connection options.
Although the transfer from A to E is far from seamless.

Although the transfer from A to E is far from seamless.

Flew YUL-LGA-BOS last Sunday evening. People on the LGA-BOS had transfers. Those going to DUB were fine as we were at Gate A22 and that flight departed Gate A19. But anyone going internationally anywhere else were screwed as they had to go all the way to the main terminal the the extreme opposite end at A11 to take the transfer bus over to E.

Flew YUL-LGA-BOS last Sunday evening. People on the LGA-BOS had transfers. Those going to DUB were fine as we were at Gate A22 and that flight departed Gate A19. But anyone going internationally anywhere else were screwed as they had to go all the way to the main terminal the the extreme opposite end at A11 to take the transfer bus over to E.
Smart travelers check the nature of their transfers, and don't book 45 minute connections for international flights.

Most booking systems flag those connections, if you are paying attention.

Massport finally released their June meeting presentation and as far as passenger numbers, Logan continues to outpace Massport's projections. They are now forecasting that Logan will hit 80% of pre-COVID numbers in FY 2023 and 90% of pre-COVID numbers in FY 2024. Something tells me FY 2024 will be closer to 95-96% of pre-COVID numbers. Capacity is really started to comeback and once Asia opens up a bit more, that will help even further.

Last edited:
JetBlue and Emirates are ending their codeshare partnership. This reduces the chance that Emirates will bring back the A380 to Boston (although BA currently flies the A380 seasonally).

JetBlue and Emirates are ending their codeshare partnership. This reduces the chance that Emirates will bring back the A380 to Boston (although BA currently flies the A380 seasonally).
I'm not hugely surprised, given the expected announcement of an Emirates tie-up with United next week. That said, United is kinda the modern Pan Am.

Their domestic network is probably the weakest of the big 3, as they're the most international widebody heavy - I'm not sure how well it'll play with Emirates services, though I have no idea what passenger volumes the JetBlue partnership generated. Especially in Boston, their network is really thin being hubs only and London. Feed here to Emirates would presumably be significantly weaker than JetBlue given Emirates already serves the same cities United does, minus only Denver.

However, in the other cities Emirates serves, such as IAH, LAX, SFO? I can see United being a stronger partner than JetBlue. Given that 6 of the 12 US Emirates destinations are United hubs. I'm seeing some scattered rumors of this being a *A prelude, and while I'm not yet convinced it'd be interesting to watch.

Last edited:
I'm not hugely surprised, given the expected announcement of an Emirates tie-up with United next week. That said, United is kinda the modern Pan Am.

Their domestic network is probably the weakest of the big 3, as they're the most international widebody heavy - I'm not sure how well it'll play with Emirates services, though I have no idea what passenger volumes the JetBlue partnership generated. Especially in Boston, their network is really thin being hubs only and London. Feed here to Emirates would presumably be significantly weaker than JetBlue given Emirates already serves the same cities United does, minus only Denver.

However, in the other cities Emirates serves, such as IAH, LAX, SFO? I can see United being a stronger partner than JetBlue. Given that 6 of the 12 US Emirates destinations are United hubs. I'm seeing some scattered rumors of this being a *A prelude, and while I'm not yet convinced it'd be interesting to watch.

Also, if the Northeast Alliance is dead with the Spirit merger, a JetBlue/United Partnership isn't crazy in the future.

Also, if the Northeast Alliance is dead with the Spirit merger, a JetBlue/United Partnership isn't crazy in the future.
-
I'd agree with you. United lost out on significant east coast domestic feed and partner when US Airways left *A and merged with AA. I've said it before elsewhere, but JetBlue's route map and services is pretty close to becoming the current day US Airways, especially if some of the post spirit merger routes (and LAS hub) are kept - just a different set of hubs adapted to more O&D traffic like MCO/FLL and LAS, even BOS to some extent.
Tumblr_l_435518549007195.jpg

Screenshot-2022-07-28-at-12-30-42.png

I believe JetBlue started its service from Logan to Heathrow yesterday. I think that currently makes 9 non-stops a day from Logan to London airports which matches the most ever between Boston and London.

I don't think there has ever been 6 airlines flying between Boston and London. United Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Jetblue Airways, Virgin Atlantic, and British Airways.

Back