Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Double Boo. I always love seeing 4-engine planes (the A340) coming in/out. Unlike the A340, the A350 and A330 are double-engine, I believe?
Yes, they're both twin engine aircraft. As an avgeek, the LH A340-600 has always been one of my favorite planes to fly. I like the 2-4-2 layout in economy (usually traveling as a couple) and the lavatory located "downstairs" is a pretty neat quirk.

Double Boo. I always love seeing 4-engine planes (the A340) coming in/out. Unlike the A340, the A350 and A330 are double-engine, I believe?

Enjoy it while you can. The time is coming pretty soon where 4 engine planes will no longer be flying. SWISS is going to be retiring their A340 fleet in 2025 or 2026. Air France retired their A340 fleet a couple of years ago. Lufthansa is going to replace almost all of their A340 fleet with 787-9s. Maybe Boston will see the 748 in the future. The 744s are going to be replaced with 779s.

Enjoy it while you can. The time is coming pretty soon where 4 engine planes will no longer be flying. SWISS is going to be retiring their A340 fleet in 2025 or 2026. Air France retired their A340 fleet a couple of years ago. Lufthansa is going to replace almost all of their A340 fleet with 787-9s. Maybe Boston will see the 748 in the future. The 744s are going to be replaced with 779s.

Did Lufthansa stop flying the 748 into Boston?

They only operate the 748 during the summer months. During the winter it’s a A343.

Minor correction but Logan has been getting the 744 for the last few years. I think we only got the 748 for one or two summers around 2018-2019.

Minor correction but Logan has been getting the 744 for the last few years. I think we only got the 748 for one or two summers around 2018-2019.

I can understand downsizing to an 343 or a 350 in the winter. But why go with the gas guzzling 744 over a 748? Especially with the Ukraine-energy crisis in Europe.

I can understand downsizing to an 343 or a 350 in the winter. But why go with the gas guzzling 744 over a 748? Especially with the Ukraine-energy crisis in Europe.
The fuel burn advantage of the 748 will be better felt on longer routes, which is why you can see the 748 prioritized on LH's longer routes (Tokyo, Sao Paulo, etc). I guess that doesn't really explain why we ever saw the 748 at all, while the 744's were still around. I'll take it though, managed to get on the 748 in the summer of 2017.
Can also explain why, outside of the 350's initial introduction, Munich's mainly stayed a 346.

The fuel burn advantage of the 748 will be better felt on longer routes, which is why you can see the 748 prioritized on LH's longer routes (Tokyo, Sao Paulo, etc). I guess that doesn't really explain why we ever saw the 748 at all, while the 744's were still around. I'll take it though, managed to get on the 748 in the summer of 2017.
Can also explain why, outside of the 350's initial introduction, Munich's mainly stayed a 346.

Might configuration also play a role? Lufthansa's 748 is premium-heavy compared to the 744.

Just wanted to say that I did fly the 748 from FRA > BOS back in 2019. I was booked direct from MUC but LH rebooked via FRA. Only difference from the 744 for me was that the engine noise was much less noticeable but it was uncomfortable AF in the back. Main gripe was that the seats were too narrow for my fat ass, and the recline didn't work.

Any other airports in the US that have 3 carriers flying to Dublin? Not sure that’s worthy of a trophy but clearly indicative of the demand and ties between the regions.

Any other airports in the US that have 3 carriers flying to Dublin? Not sure that’s worthy of a trophy but clearly indicative of the demand and ties between the regions.

Chicago (ORD) does, but only seasonally.

This would make a 7th carrier on London to Boston. Only JFK will have as many carriers on the route.

This would make a 7th carrier on London to Boston. Only JFK will have as many carriers on the route.

Not really on topic, but who's JFK's 7th? I only count six (AA, BA, DL, B6, N0, and VS), so I must be missing something.

Just wanted to say that I did fly the 748 from FRA > BOS back in 2019. I was booked direct from MUC but LH rebooked via FRA. Only difference from the 744 for me was that the engine noise was much less noticeable but it was uncomfortable AF in the back. Main gripe was that the seats were too narrow for my fat ass, and the recline didn't work.
Don't remember a nonfunctional recline, and I'm not all that large, so I thought the seat itself was comfortable enough. I was in the first seat of the row, so there was a bulkhead right in front of me. Prevented me from stretching out my legs under a seat in front of me, but that's not really type specific.

Norse Atlantic Airways aka Norwegian 2.0 plans to launch Boston-London Gatwick and Boston-Dublin in Summer 2023. Nothing is loaded as of yet so no idea about frequencies.

Wow. Seems a little late for Norse, no? I was under the impression that Norwegian’s BOS-LGW flights were fairly successful. I flew the route several times and found their premium economy to be one of the better values out there. So I was surprised when they didn’t include BOS-LGW during their relaunch and now they have to compete with 6 other airlines between Boston and London.

Not really on topic, but who's JFK's 7th? I only count six (AA, BA, DL, B6, N0, and VS), so I must be missing something.

No, you're not missing anything. I typed my post too quickly. I should have said market - between JFK/EWR-LHR/LGW there are 7 carriers. United from Newark is the 7th.

No, you're not missing anything. I typed my post too quickly. I should have said market - between JFK/EWR-LHR/LGW there are 7 carriers. United from Newark is the 7th.

Though NYC and Boston have seven carriers it is more like 5 since DL/VS and BA/AA are "one carrier" across the Atlantic.

In my opinion, this may push B6 towards AMS over DUB for European market #3 if they get slots at Schiphol.

JetBlue to reattempt Boston-Vancouver seasonally this summer. Air Canada recently trimmed the length of their seasonal service on the route.
American Airlines adding another frequency to Boston-Louisville.

Would have been interesting for American to try Boston-Greenville SC.

Not clear from press release when these changes come into play.

Back