Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

It's an actual percentage based on dividing the number of passengers by the number of seats offered. So it accounts for differences in air craft used. I cannot say that all of these numbers are 100% accurate because I believe a lot of it is based on airlines reporting, but these numbers at the very least are a good approximation of the number of passengers and associated load factors.

It should go without saying that a load factor does not give a proper indication of a route's financial performance. Boston and London are two of the world's largest financial centers (London is typically in the top 3, Boston is typically in the top 3 in North America) so you're going to have a lot of business traffic filling up the business and first class cabins. Coupled with cargo, you could very well make a profit flying a route at 40-60% load factor and I am sure there are plenty of carriers who do so.

Unless someone works for an airline, or a consultant who works with airlines, no one will ever know the load factors on specific classes. You can make some guesses on the yield based on the fares, but that would take a lot of time to aggregate the data.

BOS-LHR isn't exactly a winner for AA, DL, or UA either just on load factor alone but they stick with it.

Of daily transatlantic flights in October 2022:

AA: Only RDU-LHR has a lower load factor than BOS-LHR
DL: Only DTW-MUC and SLC-LHR have lower load factors than BOS-LHR
UA: BOS-LHR has the lowest load factor of all daily UA transatlantic flights

There's a reason DL and UA use their premium-heavy configurations on that flight.

I downloaded the passenger numbers from DOT for September-November for international markets from Logan. Here are some selections. Number of flights would be both directions combined.

Not listed here, but Westjet really seemed to be doing ok on BOS-YYZ load factors . I wonder if we'll see them come back with AA out of the picture again.

Not listed here, but Westjet really seemed to be doing ok on BOS-YYZ load factors . I wonder if we'll see them come back with AA out of the picture again.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did bring back service to Toronto (they hit 80.92% lf in 2022). WestJet had success on their seasonal service to Calgary they launched last year. It ran from late June through Early September and saw 91.52% load factor. This year, they began the seasonal service last week and it's running through the beginning of October, essentially doubling its season run in 2023 vs. 2022.

Air Canada hit 89.21% load factor on their season service to Vancouver.

I did a short stay in London this past weekend (leave Thurs, return Sun) and tried B6 on the BOS-LHR route for the first time. Great service (better hard and soft economy product than competitors), but flights were only about ~60% full to my eye. I had a row to myself each way. MINT looked pretty full on the BOS-LHR leg, but only about 2/3 full on the LHR-BOS leg.

Avianca is going to increase its Bogota to Boston service from 4 weekly frequencies up to 5 weekly frequencies effective October 29, 2023.

Iberia is increasing service to Madrid for the winter 2023/2024 season. Effective October 29, 2023 (when their winter schedule begins) they are increasing service from 3 times a week to 5 times a week.

TAP Air Portugal is increasing service to Lisbon for the winter 2023/24 season. Effective October 29, 2023 (when their winter schedule begins) they are increasing service from 10 times a week to 11 times a week.

Last edited:
United launched the flight in 2022 and utilized a Boeing 767-300 with just 57 economy seats. The rest were in business class or premium economy.

But the competition and the lower airfares proved too much for United. The market is served by at least five other airlines including budget carrier Norse, which also flies to London, but uses a different airport at London Gatwick. Many people also used the United flight as a stopping point for other places in Europe, though United has not announced any further cuts to European cities from Boston. That includes a popular route to Dublin, Ireland.

But apparently, United was losing market share from Boston to London to both American and Delta. Both airlines also enjoy partnerships, respectively, with British Airways and Virgin Atlantic to London. Even with a daily nonstop flight, United could not compete with the array of options from competing airlines.

This was United's only transatlantic flight from an airport that wasn’t part of its hub system.

The airline has not announced whether it will replace the Boston to London route with another.
https://www.travelpulse.com/News/Airlines-Airports/United-Airlines-to-Drop-an-International-Route

I'm a little surprised they didn't hold out until the A321XLRs were around, but I think it was their worst performing transatlantic route in terms of load. I think the theory that lack of BOS-LHR hurts sales on other routes isn't totally wild.

BOS-LHR on UA was the only Star Alliance flight available. Perhaps the surcharges imposed at LHR was a factor and people who are tied to SA prefer to take LH to Munich/Frankfurt instead as a means of getting to Europe?

BOS-LHR on UA was the only Star Alliance flight available. Perhaps the surcharges imposed at LHR was a factor and people who are tied to SA prefer to take LH to Munich/Frankfurt instead as a means of getting to Europe?

I would assume that UA was probably banking almost entirely on O&D passengers. They probably figured that the premium-heavy configuration and the fact that they were the only SA flight available was enough to pull passengers away from the other carriers. Apparently it hasn't paid off. I don't think they planned on many people connecting elsewhere in Europe via LHR. Admittedly, I've never transferred between SA carriers at LHR, but I doubt it's as simple as connecting on LH at FRA or MUC or Swiss at ZRH. And you're right that the fees can be prohibitive at times. Even as a relatively serious OW loyalist, I try to avoid connecting at LHR if I'm going elsewhere in Europe. To the point where I'll fly non-alliance without much hesitation.

I would assume that UA was probably banking almost entirely on O&D passengers. They probably figured that the premium-heavy configuration and the fact that they were the only SA flight available was enough to pull passengers away from the other carriers. Apparently it hasn't paid off. I don't think they planned on many people connecting elsewhere in Europe via LHR. Admittedly, I've never transferred between SA carriers at LHR, but I doubt it's as simple as connecting on LH at FRA or MUC or Swiss at ZRH. And you're right that the fees can be prohibitive at times. Even as a relatively serious OW loyalist, I try to avoid connecting at LHR if I'm going elsewhere in Europe. To the point where I'll fly non-alliance without much hesitation.
I have the same experience with LHR fees, which make BA/AA connections there really expensive.

I often use the Iberia routing through MAD to stay on OW, and avoid LHR.

Without any alliance feed on either end they had to be. I can't honestly believe BOS-LHR/LGW had six airlines for a bit (AA, BA, B6, DL, VS, UA). Actually, with Norse starting Gatwick in September, there will be two months where the Boston-London market has seven carriers. Boston-Chicago only has 5. Boston-DC has 4.

Without any alliance feed on either end they had to be. I can't honestly believe BOS-LHR/LGW had six airlines for a bit (AA, BA, B6, DL, VS, UA). Actually, with Norse starting Gatwick in September, there will be two months where the Boston-London market has seven carriers. Boston-Chicago only has 5. Boston-DC has 4.

I believe for the month of September Boston to London will run at 10 flights a day between the seven carriers. Only JFK, EWR and LAX will have more service to London.

Just look at today:

British Airways - A388
British Airways - B78X
British Airways - B772
American Airlines - B772
Delta - B764
Virgin Atlantic - A339
United Airlines - B763
JetBlue - A21N
JetBlue - A21N

Norse will join the fun with a B789.

Boston already has a strong Star Alliance presence between SWISS (year round daily to Zurich, peak summer from mid-May through early October they run double daily), Lufthansa (year round daily from Munich, year round daily from Frankfurt, peak summer double daily from Frankfurt), SAS (year round, daily to Copenhagen) and TAP Air Portugal (year round, 10 weekly, summer double daily). No need to connect anyone over LHR on the European side. United at EWR has 7 daily flights to LHR and at IAD has 3 daily flights. Doubt there are any overflow passengers on the US side being sent through Boston.

Last edited:
Lufthansa began their A380 service on the daily Munich flight. Now we'll have two A380s running daily into Boston and they'll both be on the ground at the same time. British Airways arrives from London - Heathrow at 5:00 pm and Lufthansa arrives from Munich at 5:50 pm.

BA A380 landing over M St. Beach yesterday

Attachments

• 20230602_172015.jpg
    20230602_172015.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 88
JetBlue adding Saturday only Boston-Grenada with MINT Service starting 11/4/23.

BOS- GND Flight #2153GND-BOS Flight #2152
8:00 a.m. – 1:43 p.m.3:03 p.m. – 7:04 p.m.

Also Belize City and St. Kitts added from JFK so we have 1-stop opportunities to those warm-weather destinations now on JetBlue.

JetBlue adding Saturday only Boston-Grenada with MINT Service starting 11/4/23.

BOS- GND Flight #2153GND-BOS Flight #2152
8:00 a.m. – 1:43 p.m.3:03 p.m. – 7:04 p.m.

Also Belize City and St. Kitts added from JFK so we have 1-stop opportunities to those warm-weather destinations now on JetBlue.

Meanwhile, radio silence on BOS-CDG. Anyone know the status on B6’s A321-XLR order status? Does Spirit have any in their fleet?

Meanwhile, radio silence on BOS-CDG. Anyone know the status on B6’s A321-XLR order status? Does Spirit have any in their fleet?

According to wiki, B6 has 6 321LRs in service with orders for 8 more and an additional order for 13 321XLRs.

Spirit only has 319/20/21 100/200/NEOs in service. No reason they'd need XLRs in their fleet for any of their routes.

Delta is firming up their NW 24 schedules. Boston is going to see some additional A339 planes this winter. Oddly enough, Dublin service is going to be suspending for two months - I believe it has operated year round the last couple of years.

1686503141875.png

Back