Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Would be nice if next summer instead of the A380 we get the fourth frequency back with a mix of 777/A350/787.

The way I see it is that British Airways is using their JV with American to maintain capacity. AA is running non-stop service to London - Heathrow on a 772 at daily. So the BA/AA JV will be at a minimum of 18 weekly frequencies (something tells me this will only be for a couple of weeks) and upwards of 25 weekly.

Boston, like most US cities, has a bit of overcapacity to Europe.

Delta is increasing its seasonal non-stop service to Athens in summer 2024. Increasing from 4 weekly (what it ran at in summer 2023) up to daily. Seasonal service begins May 9, 2024.

1695512195940.png

Looks like non-stop service to Mexico City is back on the table. Delta had announced year round, daily non-stop service to commence this coming December using 757-200 equipment. Then they quietly dropped the service before it even launched.

Now as part of the Delta/Aeromexico partnership (and the FAA lifting Mexico's security status), Aeromexico will launch service to Boston in 2024. The above article doesn't provide any start date, just that new routes operated by Aeromexico will include service to Boston and also "the itineraries and ticket sales will be announced gradually, pending government approvals". At least now we have a better idea why the Delta operated service never materialized after its announcement.

Last edited:

Looks like non-stop service to Mexico City is back on the table. Delta had announced year round, daily non-stop service to commence this coming December using 757-200 equipment. Then they quietly dropped the service before it even launched.

Now as part of the Delta/Aeromexico partnership (and the FAA lifting Mexico's security status), Aeromexico will launch service to Boston in 2024. The above article doesn't provide any start date, just that new routes operated by Aeromexico will include service to Boston and also "the itineraries and ticket sales will be announced gradually, pending government approvals". At least now we have a better idea why the Delta operated service never materialized after its announcement.

I really hope they can make this work. Things have changed since their last attempt at BOS. They've upgraded their fleet (particularly with 737 MAX 8s and 9s which are idea for this route), and Delta has really established BOS as a hub. MEX makes a solid hub for Central/South American connections, and BOS should be good for Europe connections from MEX. Between cheaper to operate aircraft and connection potential on both ends, they should be able to make it stick.

Spirit is adding 3 new routes out of Boston, albeit for very short durations. Houston was a route they had announced last year(?) and then it never actually launched.

1697539863934.png

While it is not Logan, Cape Cod and the Islands will see some additional service this coming summer 2024.

LaGuardia to Nantucket returns after a 4 year hiatus. LaGuardia to Hyannis and LaGuardia to Martha's Vineyard are new service as is Reagan to Hyannis. This marks American's entry into Hyannis joining JetBlue which runs seasonal non-stop service to both JFK and LaGuardia. I didn't realize the level of seasonal service both Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket have as American serves both airports from Charlotte, Chicago - O'Hare, Philadelphia, Reagan, and LaGuardia. Wonder if United will throw their hat into the ring with seasonal service from Newark at some point in the future?

1697554274620.png

1697554332875.png

Spirit is adding 3 new routes out of Boston, albeit for very short durations. Houston was a route they had announced last year(?) and then it never actually launched.

View attachment 43632
I think Spirit only has flights loaded until may 2024 so these will definitely go through summer at least.

The Irish Aviation thread on airliners.net is saying JetBlue will announce Dublin tomorrow or Thursday. Both Logan and JFK to be served. One poster mentions Edinburgh too but it was not clear if it's both JetBlue Northeast hubs. Could be an exciting day.

The Irish Aviation thread on airliners.net is saying JetBlue will announce Dublin tomorrow or Thursday. Both Logan and JFK to be served. One poster mentions Edinburgh too but it was not clear if it's both JetBlue Northeast hubs. Could be an exciting day.
Very exciting! They're really ramping up their long-haul operation quickly, especially with very little feed from Europe.
I do wonder if they'd try daytime flights from JFK/BOS in addition to the overnights.

Very exciting! They're really ramping up their long-haul operation quickly, especially with very little feed from Europe.
I do wonder if they'd try daytime flights from JFK/BOS in addition to the overnights.
It's Boston/JFK-Dublin, Boston-Paris (finally), and JFK-Edinburgh.

Flights to Dublin and Edinburgh are being called seasonal and are scheduled to end 9/30/24. Paris will be year round.

Last edited:
Aer Lingus has been a great partner for B6 as far as I know, and runs narrowbodies on BOS-DUB and BOS-SNN. I'm a little surprised B6 would go after them.

Aer Lingus has been a great partner for B6 as far as I know, and runs narrowbodies on BOS-DUB and BOS-SNN. I'm a little surprised B6 would go after them.
If I'm reading between the lines correctly between this article on Aer Lingus terminating their code share agreement with United and growing their alliance with oneworld/American, it makes a little sense. JetBlue and American ended their Northeast Alliance earlier this year, which puts them back into competitors territory. If the American-Aer Lingus partnership is strengthening, then the writing is on the wall that JetBlue-AerLingus codeshare days are probably numbered. Even so, it seems like a popular route, and it's a great benefit for B6 that they can fly their A321neos to Ireland and not need to use LR's to get there. And if B6's gates at Dublin are at the pre-flight Border Security clearance, then it means they'll be able to pivot domestic gate(s) at Logan Airport for international arrival (i.e. Terminal C flexibility vs. growing competition in E).

This is exciting!

If I'm reading between the lines correctly between this article on Aer Lingus terminating their code share agreement with United and growing their alliance with oneworld/American, it makes a little sense. JetBlue and American ended their Northeast Alliance earlier this year, which puts them back into competitors territory. If the American-Aer Lingus partnership is strengthening, then the writing is on the wall that JetBlue-AerLingus codeshare days are probably numbered. Even so, it seems like a popular route, and it's a great benefit for B6 that they can fly their A321neos to Ireland and not need to use LR's to get there. And if B6's gates at Dublin are at the pre-flight Border Security clearance, then it means they'll be able to pivot domestic gate(s) at Logan Airport for international arrival (i.e. Terminal C flexibility vs. growing competition in E).

This is exciting!
Competition is good, of course. I'm not sure C is that much of an upgrade over E when it comes to congestion. It certainly can't hold a candle in terms of passenger experience.

I believe they fly A330s from BOS-DUB, at least they did when I flew with them last Christmas.

Looking at FlightAware schedule from yesterday October 25, Aer Lingus flies two A-333s, and Delta flies a B-763, BOS_DUB daily. All wide-bodies. Maybe Boston-Edinburgh would be a more promising route.

Back